News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Backup Database Problem

Started by waruna, July 27, 2010, 03:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waruna

Hye guys.. Thanks for reading..

Well this is my problem... I don't know why but seems like my database isn't fully downloaded.  Let's take a look at the screenshot below..

it says that my database size is 563.7MB. But when I download the backup (.gz format), the size of downloaded file is only 58.5 MB. I tried again and again and the result is still the same. If the file is corrupted (unfinished), then an error will come out when we extract the file right? But I can extract the downloaded file without any error.. :-\

Then I go to Admin - Maintenance - Database to download the backup and the size of downloaded file is only 2.2MB??  :o..

Is this something to do with my connection? What should I do to successfully backup my database?

Thanks in advance...
Trust of Lust

xenovanis

I'm not sure SMF can handle downloads of databases this large. Apparently same goes for making a backup from your hosts panel.

Have you tried using phpMyAdmin to backup?

What is phpMyAdmin?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

waruna

Quote from: xenovanis on July 27, 2010, 03:38:25 PM
I'm not sure SMF can handle downloads of databases this large. Apparently same goes for making a backup from your hosts panel.

Have you tried using phpMyAdmin to backup?

What is phpMyAdmin?

Thanks for your response. Sorry I forgot to mention it. Yes, using phpMyAdmin also no use, downloaded file size is 58.5MB as well.
Trust of Lust

xenovanis

I think you should contact your host about this. Looks like it's exceeding some set limit.

On a side note, clearing your error log and empty out unimportant logs might reduce the size of your database a bit.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Kill Em All

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

rd

Are you sure it's curropted?

How many topics, posts and members dies your forum have? 500+ MB is a lot and databases are usually small unless you have a huge message board.

Thanks.

waruna

Quote from: xenovanis on July 27, 2010, 05:02:39 PM
I think you should contact your host about this. Looks like it's exceeding some set limit.

On a side note, clearing your error log and empty out unimportant logs might reduce the size of your database a bit.

Thanks, I'll try to contact my host. Yes I'm clearing all the error and unimportant logs already, still the same.

Quote from: Kill Em All on July 27, 2010, 05:08:56 PM
Also take a look at this topic:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=184356.0

Thank you Sir. I'll take a look..

Quote from: Royalduke on July 27, 2010, 05:44:11 PM
Are you sure it's curropted?

How many topics, posts and members dies your forum have? 500+ MB is a lot and databases are usually small unless you have a huge message board.

Thanks.

No, I'm not sure it's corrupted or not, since I can extract the .gz extension without any problem.
My forums stats: 409946 Posts in 4473 Topics by 499 Members, total categories: 9, total boards: 36, Average posts per day: 2272.79, Average topics per day: 26.32.

Are you sure 500++ MB is unusual? What should I do? Thanks..
Trust of Lust

rd

Wow almost 500,000 post, nice!

I think you should have your host look into it. Let them know about this problem and also ask them how big your DB is.

waruna

Quote from: Royalduke on July 27, 2010, 10:12:18 PM
Wow almost 500,000 post, nice!

I think you should have your host look into it. Let them know about this problem and also ask them how big your DB is.

Okay, thanks for your kindness Mr. Royalduke. I guess that is the last choice.. But instead of contacting them, is there any other way to solve this? Thanks..
Trust of Lust

rd

I don't think so.

This seems like a hosting issue, because even phpmyadmin seems to get it wrong (if tge database is indeed 500MB, which is likely). You should just create a supper ticket and let them know of this problem.

gbsothere

Not sure if this helps but, since I have the same problem with the server stalling on backups, I use my terminal.  Once I'm logged in I enter:

mysqldump -u admin -p username > databasename.sql

(replacing username with mine and databasename with the actual name)

which identifies the database I want to backup.  Then I enter:

mv databasename.sql /var/www/vhosts/mywebsite.com/httpdocs/

(Your own unique path will be reflected there).

This moves the sql file into my domain's root where I can simply drag it, using ftp, onto my desktop.

My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

I Don't Want To Grow Old Alone

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

A reminder about admin / ftp passwords etc.

rd

phpmyadmin backups are 100 times better then SMF ones, why? Simple, phpmyadmin backups have all the hooks and stuff in place and won't cause errors if you ever move host.

There is nothing wrong with your forum and you can use the mentioned in the abouve post or just phpmyadmin!

@gbsothere: that's a great idea! I'm gonna do that when my free smf hosting service is being used by many people :) thanks.

chilly

how big is the file when extracted?
it's not unusual to have a databas of 500mb packed to 50mb. (have seen bigger databases better compressed Oo)

Language Coordinator

waruna

@ gbsothere : Thank you Sir, I'll try to understand the steps and do it ASAP..

@ Royalduke : How about Direct Admin, lesser than phpMyAdmin?

@ chilly : After clearing caches, unimportant logs and optimize the tables, my DB size is 459.7 MB. When I download the backup thru Direct Admin, the file (gz extension) size is 66MB. After extract it, the size expand to 292MB.. Still missing about half of the actual size right? Or does the download success?

Thanks in advance
Trust of Lust

chilly

can you import it into another database?
can't realy imagine that index has such a size but at least its taking its part.
lets see how big it is when you import it into another database

Language Coordinator

Kill Em All

Quote from: Royalduke on July 28, 2010, 08:28:17 AM
phpmyadmin backups are 100 times better then SMF ones, why? Simple, phpmyadmin backups have all the hooks and stuff in place and won't cause errors if you ever move host.
Royalduke, you obviously learned nothing from the post Ant made. I don't know why he bothered.
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=387092.msg2673273#msg2673273

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

Advertisement: