News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

How to avoid 500 Internal Server Error?

Started by vryan_vreva, July 29, 2010, 09:29:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vryan_vreva

This always shows up frequently, how can i avoid this? please help me.  :(

QuoteInternal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

xenovanis

Be more specific please? A 500 error can occur due to various reasons, either on the server side or on the script side.

When does this happen? Any particular actions?

What version of SMF? What mods have you installed? Any errors in your forumlog?

Is there a file named error_log in your forumdirectory? If so, what additional information is shown at the entries from this 500 error?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

vryan_vreva

@xenovanis> bro, this happens frequently, i dont know the reason. My forum is having this error from time to time, but when i refresh it, it get backs to normal, my hosting is x10hosting do you think it is on their side?

xenovanis

I can't tell if you don't answer my questions  :P
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

vryan_vreva

my version is smf 2.0 RC3, i installed this mods, rankavatars, thank o matic mod, and the smf packs shoutbox. Do you think thats the reason of the internal error? :(

xenovanis

Well, to pinpoint that, it would be nice if you answered my questions.

Also see:
http://www.checkupdown.com/status/E500.html

vryan_vreva

sir look, im just a newbie in terms of managing a forum. And my knowledge on the questions you've asked is far from it. Some of the questions you ask me. I did not even understand some it. Please be specific on the question sir. please. I need help. :(

xenovanis

Do you know on what actions these errors popup? Is it randomly, or is it if you try to post a topic, or view a members profile, or something else?

In Admin -> Maintanance -> Logs -> Error log, what errors do you see?

Login to your hosts control panel, see if there an option to view the errorlog and open it. What errors do you see?

vryan_vreva

IceXaos

The most popular reason I've found in my past for this to happen is the PHP settings being mis-configured.  You may wish to reset it with default settings and set your path.  Then of course, clear site cache, and your browser cache just in case.

vryan_vreva

how can i reset it to the default setting Mr.IceXaos? how to clear the site cache? :( Thanks for the help man.!

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

x10hosting.com is a mega overseller and has a very low per user memory limit. This may be one of the major reasons of your Internet Server Error. You might want to start looking into alternate hosts if you want to avoid those errors.

Jakob Fel

Just to let you know, most hosts seem to have caps on memory usage, which means that if you exceed it, they could either take it offline, or take it offline AND sell your site. (Happens with Byethost as far as I know. UnlimitedMB.com, I have heard is good and reliable, but it's your choice)

PS - Xenovanis isn't a sir. She is a ma'am. ;)
Freelance writer and advocate for security, privacy & DRM-free distribution
Support and Community Management at SMFNew Free Forum Hosting

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Is this resolved? Do you require any further assistance with this?

Advertisement: