[Screens added]Help with uploading stuff on my smf forum

Started by Johnny Danger, July 29, 2010, 03:33:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Danger

I need help please.I want to upload mods on my smf 2.0 forum and i dont know how.I succesfully installed it on my web hosting.

Please help me,how to do it.I uploaded the language pack on my web,what next?

I even tried to upload it threw package manager,******ing dont work.I download the mod but it says that even the mode is downloaded it isnt apeering or stuff?

Johnny Danger

mirahalo

please do not bump your topics, theres a 24 hour period of wait befr you can do that, remeber, all the people in here are volunteers ;)

did you try this: Package Manager

please be more specific, to say "don't work"  is quite vague,  why it don't work?

Johnny Danger

Well when i try to upload my language pack,i press on the whole folder but the folder just opens instead of uploading,i mean.

How to explain:I can only upload files,but thats impossible to upload to cause it says it doesnt allow zip version or sumthing like that.

Ah god so ******ing complicated,and that guide doesnt help just confuses me more.When i try to download file threw url it sounds this:Although the package was downloaded to the server it appears to be empty. Please check the Packages directory, and the "temp" sub-directory are both writable. If you continue to experience this problem you should try extracting the package on your PC and uploading the extracted files into a subdirectory in your Packages directory and try again. For example, if the package was called shout.tar.gz you should:
1) Download the package to your local PC and extract it into files.
2) Using an FTP client create a new directory in your "Packages" folder, in this example you may call it "shout".
3) Upload all the files from the extracted package to this directory.
4) Go back to the package manager browse page and the package will be automatically found by SMF.

Please someone help,i cant download,cant upload.Help i want to install mods!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT:I even uploaded the language pack threw FTP to my forum and installed a new directory on Package Manager and it says on FTP that language pack is there,it appers but on forum it doesnt exists!!!!!!

xenovanis

You seriously need to calm down and mind your language. Raging like this is definitely keeping people from giving you support.

Now, what's the exact errormessage you are receiving?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

CapadY

Quote from: xenovanis on July 29, 2010, 05:51:29 PM
You seriously need to calm down and mind your language. Raging like this is definitely keeping people from giving you support.

Youre absolute right. For me it was the reason to left it till tomorrow.
Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

Johnny Danger

I apologize for my bad atitude,but im losing my nerves trying this for like 2 days and it aint working.

Well when i try to download a language,this is the exact error message i receive:

Although the package was downloaded to the server it appears to be empty. Please check the Packages directory, and the "temp" sub-directory are both writable. If you continue to experience this problem you should try extracting the package on your PC and uploading the extracted files into a subdirectory in your Packages directory and try again. For example, if the package was called shout.tar.gz you should:
1) Download the package to your local PC and extract it into files.
2) Using an FTP client create a new directory in your "Packages" folder, in this example you may call it "shout".
3) Upload all the files from the extracted package to this directory.
4) Go back to the package manager browse page and the package will be automatically found by SMF.

And when i do try to upload,first of all to say i cant upload the whole file right away,when i try to mark a folder(the whole language pack) it just opens to another folder.So i tried uploading file by file but it says that this file support is not avaliable,or something like that and it says that the files that are supported are:zip,(cant remember the other three).

And so i tried to upload it threw FTP,and i made new directory in Package Manager and i succesfully uploaded the whole language pack,and i went on the forum to see if there will be language pack,but the language pack did not appear there.

I check again on FTP and it says the language pack is there.

xenovanis

Wait, are you trying to install a language from the packagemanager? That won't work.

You can install languages from Admin -> Configuration -> Languages -> Add language
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Johnny Danger

Quote from: xenovanis on July 29, 2010, 06:29:10 PM
Wait, are you trying to install a language from the packagemanager? That won't work.

You can install languages from Admin -> Configuration -> Languages -> Add language

Ye actually tried that too but it says my version of forum is not compatible with the version of pack.

xenovanis

Once again you are walking the line. I noticed your first reply last night, but I was at work so couldn't reply. It's not really nice to delete that one and bump this topic with a reply with the same content. You are close of loosing my support here.
We are all volunteers here offering support. You can't expect us to wait for you and offer support seconds after you asked a question. It doesn't work like that.

I'm not sure if selected the right language for your version then. However, you could just download any languagepack here (make sure it's compatible with your version of SMF), extract it on your local harddive and upload it to your /Themes directory.

Quote from: Johnny Danger on July 30, 2010, 07:07:14 AM
Quote from: xenovanis on July 29, 2010, 06:29:10 PM

Ye actually tried that too but it says my version of forum is not compatible with the version of pack.

Johnny Danger

Yeah sorry it wont happen again.

BTW:I automaticly installed smf 2.0 version on my free host there is a automatic installer for SMF,Phpbb,vbulleting,  and i install it and it worked like 1 day and the secound day it happens this:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_VARIABLE in /home/vhosts/extraworld.coolpage.biz/Settings.php on line 3

And i did that 4 times by now and it all happens over and over.

And so i tried to install it manually and i come to this faze:

Forum name:

Forum url:

Gzip Output:

UTF 8 &Character Set

Allow Stat Colletion:

MySQL server name:

MySQL username:

MySQL password:

MySQL database:

MySQL table prefix:

And it is all 100 percent correct but it wont install because MySQL database doesnt exists it says.But i created it in my control pannel i pressed the button create db and i have username and pass for it.Hm can you help me?

xenovanis

Yeah, free hosts are a bit .. well .. crap most of the times. The error absolutely doesn't make sense. There's nothing on line 3 that could cause a parse error, since it's only a comment.

So, it did work after you installed it? Or did the error popup right after install?

Can you post lines 1 to 30 of the file Settings.php? Don't post more lines, since it contains all access information to your database and I'm sure you don't want the whole world to see that  ;)

Johnny Danger

I made new hosting so nvm when the error appears in add new lines i googled it i think i know what the problem is.

I actually figured out how to download mods and i do download them succesfully but when i try to install them:

You cannot download or install new packages because the Packages directory or one of the files in it are not writable!

Can you tell me how to make file writable?

EDIT:Can you tell me where can i find that Settings folder to add lines on 3,i mean forum isnt messed up now but for the future.

CapadY

The package directory can be made writeble using a FTP client like Filezilla.
When you are making the package directory writeble, also check if there is a submap called "temp" (withouth quotes) in it and is writeble too.

Settings isn't a folder, it is a file and can be found in the forum root map. It is also a databasetable but I don't think you'll need those.
Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

Johnny Danger

Ye i use Filezilla,but you didnt tell me how to make it writable?

xenovanis

Quote from: Johnny Danger on July 31, 2010, 06:03:37 PM
I made new hosting so nvm when the error appears in add new lines i googled it i think i know what the problem is.

I actually figured out how to download mods and i do download them succesfully but when i try to install them:

You cannot download or install new packages because the Packages directory or one of the files in it are not writable!

Can you tell me how to make file writable?

Especially on free hosting, the packagemanager can be a pain. However, start with reading this:
Having problems with the package manager?
How do I use FTP? / What is FTP?
How do I chmod? / what is chmod?

Make sure the directory /Packages is chmod 777 or 755 and that there's a directory inside it named 'temp' that's also 777 or 755.

EDIT:Can you tell me where can i find that Settings folder to add lines on 3,i mean forum isnt messed up now but for the future.

The file Settings.php is in the root of your forum. You could chmod it to 444 to prevent it from scrambling.

Johnny Danger

ye i setted it up to 777 but there was directory called temp but i made one thought like that cause it seems like its important.

Im just interested how to make file writable,so can you explain to me.I know how to use FTP that guide isnt helping.

xenovanis

By changing the attributes for a file, aka chmodding a file, you can make it writable or not writable. If you connect to your webspace with an ftp client you should have an option to chmod files or change the attributes.

Usually chmodding 777 or 755 means files are writable. However, default permissions for SMF are:
Folders: 755
Files: 644

But this could be different depending on serverconfiguration. See here for more information:
http://www.catskilltech.com/freeSW/SMF/faqs/#perm

Johnny Danger

I did set all files to 644 and folders to 755 and still all thoose files are not writable?

xenovanis

Try 777 the, for files and folders. Or ask your host what the requirements are.

Advertisement: