I can't install mods anymore

Started by navarretemarce, July 29, 2010, 06:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

navarretemarce

After upgrading to 2.0RC3. I am not able to install mods any more.
The packages can be downloaded with success, the files are there, the CHMOD are okay. Indeed I have CHMOD to 777 the enttire site :(. But always after click on install mod I get the same error:
"¡No puedes descargar o instalar nuevos paquetes ya que no se puede escribir en el directorio "Packages"!"
In english something like: You can not install new packages because the path packages is not writable.
(it is not true I checked several times the chmod via FTP and is 777 (indeed I turned the entire site to 777)
I tried with several mods (all of them for RC3 and none worked. Indeed I tried the manual instalation of the mod I am interested for (sitemap) but neither works.
Please hellpppppp.
To claryfi. The mod is uploaded:
then: install mod
Get this: Installing this package will perform the following actions:
gives a list of actions and at the right side I see for all of them: "Test successful"
I click on install now.
And then the message  :(.
I am using the default theme. Switched the langage to english and the same thing :(

gbsothere

This can happen when you lose ownership of your files and directories.  Log into your control panel, open your file manager and check the columns "user" and "group".  If you see your own user name and group name then you own that particular directory.  If you see something else (an example might be "apache") then you do not own the directory.  Chmodding may appear to work but, if you do not own the directory, it doesn't.  Ask your server to chown these for you so that ownership is restored to you, if you find that you do not have ownership.  Or you can try doing this via your terminal.  After you log in, type this chown command:

chown -R username:groupname ../directory

(Replace "username" with yours and "groupname" with the group name and replace "directory" with the directory you need to "chown", or take ownership of.  For example, instead of ../directory, ../Packages.)

My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

I Don't Want To Grow Old Alone

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

A reminder about admin / ftp passwords etc.

navarretemarce

Thanks for your answer.
I have contacted my server. The ownership was wrong: it was 99 instead of my username.
I have fixted it with the utility fix ownership of my server and now the ownership and chmod are ok.
But sitll it doesn´t work  :(.
Now after [install now]. I get inmediately  a white screen... nothing no messages no instalation.
I downoaded the mod several times, fixed file permission and ownership several times and still doesnt work...

CapadY

After changing the ownership the permissions can be changed. Check if they are still 777
Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

navarretemarce

Yes, the permissions, as well as the ownership, are ok. I have checked several times... (ten times at least  ???)
I tried a lot of mods, but I was not able to install any of them.
By the way I dont get error messages any more simply after clicking install I get nothing, white screen.
Here are the screen shots of one example.
First seems to be ok,
Second after install mod, also fine...
Third after "instal now"... Nothing white screen, no messages no nothing  ???.
And yes I checked file permissions and ownerships before and after every single step and evrithing is ok and chmod 777.
The logs shows either no errors. The last check two seconds ago: "There are currently no error log entries."
Any idea what could be going wrong. I had no problems with SMF 1.11.

gbsothere

Have you tried creating a folder inside your Packages directory, naming it "temp" (no quotations and small-case), setting the permissions for it to 777 and trying to install the mod?
My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

navarretemarce

Thanks for your answer.
After trying to install the folder temp is created but lost the ownership (set as "99" insted of my username) I fixed that, but after clicking on install again, the folder and the files lost the ownership.
I tried the manual instalation modifying every file manually. I get installated one mod.
There is a way to get ride with this problem? because installing and uninstalling manually every mod is really annoying. Indeed the installed mod is not even listed as installed (works, I can see the sitemap) but is not listed between the installed mods.
There is a way to avoid this loose of the file ownership during installation, to achive a less painfull installing and uninstalling procedure?. Why the ownership doesnt get lost with SMF 1.11?
Thanks 

gbsothere

Quote from: navarretemarce on July 30, 2010, 04:17:42 PM
Thanks for your answer.
After trying to install the folder temp is created but lost the ownership (set as "99" insted of my username) I fixed that, but after clicking on install again, the folder and the files lost the ownership.
I tried the manual instalation modifying every file manually. I get installated one mod.
There is a way to get ride with this problem? because installing and uninstalling manually every mod is really annoying. Indeed the installed mod is not even listed as installed (works, I can see the sitemap) but is not listed between the installed mods.
There is a way to avoid this loose of the file ownership during installation, to achive a less painfull installing and uninstalling procedure?. Why the ownership doesnt get lost with SMF 1.11?
Thanks

Did you end up with the white page again, after creating the "temp" directory?

navarretemarce, if you're losing ownership whenever a directory is accessed, I'd give my server a call and ask them if the "fix ownership" feature in your control panel is actually working.  (I've personally never seen this feature in a control panel, but I'm sure that's just because I've been with my server for so many years and use something relatively different than you use.) 

I'd definitely call them, however, and explain that you're losing ownership of your files and directories and ask them to shed some light on this.

I do agree; my personal observation is that the package manager for 1.1.x seems much less temperamental.

navarretemarce

QuoteDid you end up with the white page again, after creating the "temp" directory?
Yes I did... and white page allways. I have tried other mods and the same thing.
Quoteask them if the "fix ownership" feature in your control panel is actually working.
Yes, it works.
here a description of this feature:
QuoteFix File Ownership
This feature is useful when you have any files created by PHP (for example if you installed Joomla or used some file upload script), ownership of these files usually changes to "99" or "nobody" and you are not be able to delete or modify such files by FTP or File Manager, you will get "Permission denied" errors (such files can be deleted by PHP script only).
This tool fixes ownership for all files inside of your account, so you can edit or delete without problems.
It seems to be the way it works, meaning scripts created files and dirs can be managed by php scripts and aquiere this "99" ownership and via ftp the normal one... Or I am saying something stupid? :-\
I have a couple of sites with this server (000webhost) running CMS software (Joomla, CMS made simple, WordPress, SFM 1.11). And I have experienced no problems with modules installations/uninstalation features, until now...
Since is a free hosting I cannot expect more support than their are giving to me, indeed SMF 2.0RC3 is the only software I am having troubles... So I have to think that has something to do with this particullar SMF feature... A real shame because I love SMF...
Should I report, in bugs section?
Thanks for your advice and support.

PS: Other thing in the section >>Browse Packages>> the feature "delete package" works properly indeed if the .zip file has this "99" ownership (checked via FTP) so ... it seems to be something going wrong only with the "install mod" script. 

gbsothere

Quote from: navarretemarce on July 30, 2010, 05:39:20 PM
QuoteFix File Ownership
This feature is useful when you have any files created by PHP (for example if you installed Joomla or used some file upload script), ownership of these files usually changes to "99" or "nobody" and you are not be able to delete or modify such files by FTP or File Manager, you will get "Permission denied" errors (such files can be deleted by PHP script only).
This tool fixes ownership for all files inside of your account, so you can edit or delete without problems.
It seems to be the way it works, meaning scripts created files and dirs can be managed by php scripts and aquiere this "99" ownership and via ftp the normal one... Or I am saying something stupid? :-\
I have a couple of sites with this server (000webhost) running CMS software (Joomla, CMS made simple, WordPress, SFM 1.11). And I have experienced no problems with modules installations/uninstalation features, until now...
Since is a free hosting I cannot expect more support than their are giving to me, indeed SMF 2.0RC3 is the only software I am having troubles... So I have to think that has something to do with this particullar SMF feature... A real shame because I love SMF...
Should I report, in bugs section?
Thanks for your advice and support.

I may be reading the description wrong, navarretemarce, but I think that directories might not be included in this feature.  (Of course I may be wrong; entirely possible.)  Let me ask you this...  do you have a terminal and know how to login to it?

navarretemarce

Yes directories, are included in this feature. Also, as you suggested, I have tried creating the temp dir via FTP-chmod 777, and the install script did put the files there without problems.
Unfortunatly I dont have terminal access  :(. Will need to upgrade my account to get access to this feature (not possible for me in this moment).
Any other tip?

gbsothere

Quote from: navarretemarce on July 30, 2010, 05:53:07 PM
Yes directories, are included in this feature. Also, as you suggested, I have tried creating the temp dir via FTP-chmod 777, and the install script did put the files there without problems.
Unfortunatly I dont have terminal access  :(. Will need to upgrade my account to get access to this feature (not possible for me in this moment).
Any other tip?

One more thing.....  (and hopefully someone else will weigh in).....   ask your server if Safe Mode PHP is on and, if it is, ask them to turn it off.  Also, ask them if they have Mod Security activated and if so, to turn it off.

Out of curiosity, who is your server?

navarretemarce

safe_mode:   Off
safe_mode_gid:   Off

It is 000webhost, I have here only a free account on server n°33.

gbsothere

I tell you, my old eyes just don't see like they once did... and I'm not seeing anything about Mod Security (and, to be honest, I doubt that it would appear on that file.)  That's usually a problem with free hosts. 

Take a look at this link:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=34270.msg253872#msg253872

Of course, I'm grasping at straws, now.  I'll put a link to this thread in the support area and perhaps someone with better insight will weigh in on this. 

Speculation, but it would be nice if you could move a particular file or directory to your local drive, chown it there with your computer's terminal and move it back just to see if the chown worked.   ;)

navarretemarce

Many many thanks for your time.
Yes I can't see either if mod_security is running.
Any way in their FAQ it is clear that changes in PHP settings are not allowed and the statment is quite clear:
QuoteOur team would be more than happy to help you with any problem you encounter. However, we will only provide free support for our system and services. We will help you with basic problems associated with getting scripts running, but if you need help with third-party software, contact the authors of that software.
It is not possible for us to provide help for everyone fix PHP errors or develop your website as it would require a lot of administrative time. Our focus is on providing support for server related issues.
However, you can upgrade your account at http://www.000webhost.com/upgrade and we will provide you with full help in installing your scripts, developing your website and fixing errors.
Working with my computer terminal and local drive worked just fine...
Strange is that I dont get any kind of error... is like the script just stops for some reason... ??? the other features work fine
I was playing arrownd and the other features worked fine (only three minor bugs in templates layout, that i have reported). In the las minutes (to see what happens) I have installed some themes wither via local file upload and from a directory on the server, and both worked fine with 3 themes.
It seems to be only the mod install feature  :-[.
By the way I am also dady since 4 months. it is wonderfull isn't?

gbsothere

Quote from: navarretemarce on July 30, 2010, 06:36:49 PM
Many many thanks for your time.
Yes I can't see either if mod_security is running.
Any way in their FAQ it is clear that changes in PHP settings are not allowed and the statment is quite clear:
QuoteOur team would be more than happy to help you with any problem you encounter. However, we will only provide free support for our system and services. We will help you with basic problems associated with getting scripts running, but if you need help with third-party software, contact the authors of that software.
It is not possible for us to provide help for everyone fix PHP errors or develop your website as it would require a lot of administrative time. Our focus is on providing support for server related issues.
However, you can upgrade your account at http://www.000webhost.com/upgrade and we will provide you with full help in installing your scripts, developing your website and fixing errors.
Working with my computer terminal and local drive worked just fine...
Strange is that I dont get any kind of error... is like the script just stops for some reason... ??? the other features work fine
I was playing arrownd and the other features worked fine (only three minor bugs in templates layout, that i have reported). In the las minutes (to see what happens) I have installed some themes wither via local file upload and from a directory on the server, and both worked fine with 3 themes.
It seems to be only the mod install feature  :-[.
By the way I am also dady since 4 months. it is wonderfull isn't?

Well, I'm a GrandPappy.  *grin*   That's my granddaughter in that photo.  She's about your child's age, now.  And, yes, it's wonderful.   Congratulations to you!   :)

It may be, navarretemarce, that eventually you're going to have to move to some sort of paid hosting, but I've asked others to stop by and look at the thread, in case someone has some insight for you.  Keep checking back.   :)

navarretemarce

Thanks again,
And Congratulations too!. My parents are as happy as you with his first grandsohn  :)!. 
I would wish, that this feature worked as well as in SMF 1.11... Any way I can still do it manually... or change host...
Thanks, and by sure I will keep checking back...   

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

000webhost is one of the most free and crappiest web host out there. It has a huge number of MySQL server problems which can be one of the major cause of your problem. Try looking into a better host, preferably paid and non-oversold servers. It should get you going.

gbsothere

Quote from: (F.L.A.M.E.R) on July 30, 2010, 06:52:59 PM
000webhost is one of the most free and crappiest web host out there. It has a huge number of MySQL server problems which can be one of the major cause of your problem. Try looking into a better host, preferably paid and non-oversold servers. It should get you going.

Thanks, (F.L.A.M.E.R.)!   ;)

Should navarretemarce remove his php info file?

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Doesn't matter. It is not really a security risk. He can if he wants to.

Advertisement: