Should I be concerned about this member

Started by TheDel, July 30, 2010, 01:34:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheDel

Had a new member join tonight and noticed they made 2 semi identical posts in older threads.  One was from April the other from October. Its a pretty active board the post from October was on the 7th page in that section. Even the posts themselves have words used in odd ways (like someone not speaking the language)

"My daughter also have medical alert bracelet. This medical thing gives a lot of advancement in case of emergency."
"My daughter definitely had medical alert bracelet. Through the engraved information in the bracelet. They can easily get your medical information."

Then I looked in the profile and in the signature was a link that said-
online Medical Alert
The word online was linked to a site for SEO Services, Computer SEO which is clearly not a site for Medical alert products

so I tracked the IP to Queensland AU but I do have a few Aussie members but main big concern was when I saw the error codes under the IP-
Could not connect to SMTP host: 110 : Connection timed out ?action=register2 Yesterday at 09:57:13 PM
2: fsockopen() [<a href='function.fsockopen'>function.fsockopen</a>]: unable to connect to mail.type1parents.org:26 (Connection timed out)
?action=register2 Yesterday at 09:57:13 PM
180.191.40.153 Guest Could not connect to SMTP host: 110 : Connection timed out
?action=register2 Yesterday at 09:57:10 PM
180.191.40.153 Guest 2: fsockopen() [<a href='function.fsockopen'>function.fsockopen</a>]: unable to connect to mail.type1parents.org:26 (Connection timed out)
?action=register2 Yesterday at 09:57:10 PM
?action=register2 Yesterday at 09:57:07 PM
180.191.40.153 Guest 2: fsockopen() [<a href='function.fsockopen'>function.fsockopen</a>]: unable to connect to mail.type1parents.org:26 (Connection timed out)
?action=register2 Yesterday at 09:57:07 PM
?action=register2 Yesterday at 09:57:04 PM
?action=register2 Yesterday at 09:57:04 PM
?action=register2 Yesterday at 09:57:01 PM
?action=register2 Yesterday at 09:57:01 PM
?action=register2 Yesterday at 09:56:58 PM
?action=register2 Yesterday at 09:56:58 PM
?action=register2 Yesterday at 09:56:55 PM
?action=register2

I notice the connections to the mail server. What are these errors for? Should I be concerned about this member hacking my site?

Kill Em All

The user is probably a spammer. You should ban and delete his account along with his posts.

What version of SMF are you using? You should also consider adding one or two of these mods here:
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?action=search;type=19

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

Errapolis

yeah that's a pretty classic case of a spammer.  we had a similar one two days ago and had the link in their signature, also saying medical supplies and linking to a USA SEO site.

Its best to include no unapproved advertising in your board rules and anything like that ban them.  Once one comes on, more seem to follow.

YogiBear

Recommend Admin Approval in registation settings. "If in doubt throw them out!" lol
SMF v2.1.3  Mods : Snow & Garland v1.4,  PHP  v.7.4.33

TheDel

I just hate to be wrong- although Im almost 100% convinced its a spammer. Just because our community isnt a normal community- most members need help or support.

But my real concern is whether the error codes were hack attempts.
Thanks for the help- Ill check out those mods

Kill Em All

No, they are nothing serious, you can ask your host to ban that IP if you want.

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

J. S.

You can ban their IP in your forums settings or in your servers .htaccess file. It is really easy.

YogiBear

Or in your cpanel then your site becomes 'invisible' to them.
SMF v2.1.3  Mods : Snow & Garland v1.4,  PHP  v.7.4.33

N!cklas

For sure it seems lika a spammer, but why not put the user on a checklist and run the checklist once a week/month to delete accounts that's being used by spammers :)

Advertisement: