News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Login issue on SMF - login on main page won't work, login page does

Started by Errapolis, July 30, 2010, 06:50:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Errapolis

Hi there, we've been having an issue with our forum for quite some time, and it's affecting a number of users, if not all.

When a member visits the main page of our forum, the login area at the top left is normally used.  However when a username and correct password are entered, the user is given a message saying they have an incorrect username/password, and are redirected to the login page.

When the same username and password are used on the login page, they can login fine.

I tested this myself and had another member do likewise by copy/pasting passwords into the main page and login page, to confirm they were being entered correctly.

I had the issue myself for quite some time, but thought it may just be me.  However after consulting a number of members and the admin log, it seems to be a recurring issue.

We recently upgraded to RC3, but this didn't solve the problem, which has been an issue for at least 6 months (in my case at least).

Has anyone else encountered this problem?  The link for the site is below, if anyone can shed any light it would be much appreciated. 

http://dothebouncy.com/smf/

Errapolis

Okay, the site admin changed a bit of code and got it fixed (as well as a bug that caused people to be unable to log out in some instances). Here is how it was fixed.

in subs.php, he changed:

'href' =>  $scripturl . '?action=logout;%1$s=%2$s',

to this

'href' =>  $scripturl, '?action=logout;sesc=', $context['session_id'], '">', $txt['logout'],

In case this helps anyone with the same problem.

edit - he also cleared the forum cache files.

gbsothere

I'm only just now running across this thread, but I'm happy it was resolved, TheQueensXI.   :)
My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

I Don't Want To Grow Old Alone

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

A reminder about admin / ftp passwords etc.

Advertisement: