News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

My domain name has changed

Started by winky100, July 30, 2010, 07:18:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

winky100

Is there an easy way to re-configure the forum for the new domain name?

winky100

Because i have a new domain name I am going to have to copy my forum into a new folder. Will this repair script handle all the necessary changes in this case?

CapadY

Nearly all of them.

The path to the cache directory is not affected, you'll have to do it manualy in settings.php and path to other than default themes have to be corrected via the admin panel.
Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

winky100

I had the new domain created. It is implemented as a sub-directory. I copied all the forum files and folders to the new directory. I ran the repair_settings.php. I renamed the old forum directory so i was sure i was accessing the new one with the new domain name. However, when I do this i cannot access the new forum with the new domain name. If i rename the old forum back to what is was and i access using the new domain name it works. Makes me think some links did not get changed.

flapjack

where did you run repair_settings? in old or new directory?

IceXaos

You could always just go into your Settings.php and set the path.

CapadY

Clear your forumcache. I think you've copied it too to the new domain.

winky100

I ran repair_settings.php in the new directory.

I did go into my settings.php and saw that the cache directory was pointijng to the old one and changed that.

At this point it still did not work so I just did a new install in the new location(i had the database backed up)

I never got to test the clear the forum cache. It is true when I copied the everything i did copy the old forumcache to the new location. I wish i had waited I would have like to know if that would have fixed it.

Thanks for all the help.

CapadY

You could clear the forum cache after the movement too. You can also do it via FTP in case of via the Admin Panel.

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Have you firstly changed your DNS settings for your new domain name so that it connects correctly to the server?

Are both the domains under one hosting account? Did you switch webhosts or just switch accounts within the same server?

Advertisement: