News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Finally, an SMF 2.0 Update

Started by [SiNaN], July 30, 2010, 04:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

[SiNaN]

Hey everyone,

It has been quite sometime since the last blog post about SMF development was made. Although I'm not the best blogger in the dev team, I thought I would say a "Hi!" and give some information about what we have been doing for the past months. As you would expect, there have been quite a few changes since then.

As you may already know, TE, Aäron^, Compuart^ and karlbenson left the team during the past few months. We can't thank them enough for what they have done for SMF - Thank you very much guys! On the other hand we had Norv joining the development team as the lead developer, me as a core developer and Antechinus, and Nas as user interface developers. Not to forget Nao, who has been helping with development for the past two months as a consulting developer and a dozen of Beta Testers who have joined the ranks along with the new and existing members on the support, customization, documentation, internationalization, and marketing teams. So, rest assured, the team is back up and running!

In fact, over 200 entries have been added to changelog since the release of RC3 in March. During the last three months 72 issues were reported to our tracker and 122 issues were resolved. At the moment I write this, there are 50 open bugs in our tracker, some of which are show-stoppers for RC4.

So, what does this all mean? It means SMF 2.0 RC4 will be out soon. I cannot give an exact date, but it's definitely very soon. ;)
Former SMF Core Developer | My Mods | SimplePortal

DoctorMalboro

~DS~

"There is no god, and that's the simple truth. If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again."
~Penn Jillette – God, NO! – 2011

Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail

Congratulations to the hardworking SMF team! Hope to see it around soon.

searchgr

rd

Oh no.
Ohhh nooo
oooohhhhhnooooooo

I have to upgrade many forums and mods :'(

Antechinus

No you don't. Just keep using old releases. :P

rd

I could do that I guess but as an experienced SMF user... I'd look like a fool running anything but RC4 or 1.1.11

TheListener

OMG does that mean  everyones gonna start screaming when RC4 is released.

Remember folks it is a forum not a boy band.

;D

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Oh My my! The bug tracker got flooded again! :P

Norv has been digging out the old bug topics when I was away.

* (F.L.A.M.E.R) goes to find out what did he miss during the past 8 days.

bloc

Good news indeed! The new dev team sounds very sound, 2(+1) people with code/mod experience and 2 with design - a good mix if ever there was one. ;D

Question: will there be many changes in templates for RC4? Related to bugs or just improvements?

Joker™

I think now 48 bugs left . Very much excited about next release .Thanks a lot for the information , great going team :) .
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

How to enable Post Moderation

"For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions." - Laozi

All support seeking PM's get microwaved

Antechinus

Quote from: Bloc on July 31, 2010, 03:57:43 AM
Good news indeed! The new dev team sounds very sound, 2(+1) people with code/mod experience and 2 with design - a good mix if ever there was one. ;D

Question: will there be many changes in templates for RC4? Related to bugs or just improvements?

Not many. All We're doing is fixing things for cross browser support (IE sux) and tweaking a few paddings and floats here and there. So there are some minor template changes but nothing like the last lot.

You can run an RC3 theme on the latest svn and it'll work just fine. Some of the padding in RC3 themes will look a bit wonky on some pages but you wont notice much else except that things will be less broken in some browsers. From a themer's point of view it's not  major drama.

~DS~

I did like to add..after those bugs in the tracker are fixed, it's better to find more bugs find in Bug Reports before anything (RC4 that is).
"There is no god, and that's the simple truth. If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again."
~Penn Jillette – God, NO! – 2011

bloc

Quote from: Antechinus on July 31, 2010, 05:46:45 AM
Quote from: Bloc on July 31, 2010, 03:57:43 AM

Not many. All We're doing is fixing things for cross browser support (IE sux) and tweaking a few paddings and floats here and there. So there are some minor template changes but nothing like the last lot.

You can run an RC3 theme on the latest svn and it'll work just fine. Some of the padding in RC3 themes will look a bit wonky on some pages but you wont notice much else except that things will be less broken in some browsers. From a themer's point of view it's not  major drama.

Great :)

[SiNaN]

We are also hoping make a post about changes in RC4 that may affect modification and theme authors, along with RC4 release. ;)
Former SMF Core Developer | My Mods | SimplePortal

grafitus

That's good news! Especially this for me. :) We always expect such good news! ^^

LordRayden

Hi all,
I think this my first post and could also be the last after I'm done but...
I'm reading, "that's good news" and so on, so where exactly are the good news?
I'm reading the post over and over for there are no good news in it.

There are 48 Entries in the Bug Tracker, great a few weeks ago there were only 38, but you reopened a few, an a quite big one to.
You post states, for the past few months you were doing "politics" and not coding.
This software is for 5 Years in Development, other Software(free forum software) have at least two releases in this period of time, the second free software that I know whit such a Development cycle is OScommerce, but you know there is no use in being the best in something if you are the only one who knows it...
I was with a few software titles with a long term development but you could see progress, you could see that something is happening. In the last few months there is nothing happening with SMF, no sorry it is, a lot of politics. I was waiting for MODx Revolution (almost two years) to start my next big Project and I was searching for a forum software and thought i found it in SMF but after i was reading the Forum and other sites I'm not sure anymore. I was also waiting for phpBB 3 but I didn't like that what came out but as things are standing right now I think the best thing to do is to go back to phpBB. WTF happened to this Software, at the moment i get the feeling it's like Duke Nukem.

Are the good news that the RC4 is going to be out soon? I'm reading that for a while in the forum, nothing happens.
If things go on like this the Software is going to be old when it gets released. You started the Development with PHP3? Then you had to convert to PHP4 then to PHP5 and as things are going soon to PHP6? When is this going to end? If you still have old PHP3 code in it you can never perform like software written in PHP5. I just don't get it. What is going on?

Ok, now i wanted to thank the Developers for they work, they are not fault for bad Management (like Vista, the Developers weren't fault that the software was a piece of junk, or you can blame the Developers that they started over with Duke Nukem three times and changed the Engine three times, it was the management), they are just doing as they told. You have a few very good things in your software and I hope you can finish it but I don't believe in it, it takes too long.

For all of those who will now post, do it yourself, I'm only programming/altering software for my needs, I don't do it professionally, I'm not good enough to do it professionally(in my opinion), I'm a supporter, I can analyze code, I can find problems and I was thinking about to join but then I found a few thing and thought to myself, no thank you. I'm living in a Democracy (such a nice word on paper, but as soon as a human says it it's something bad and It doesn't work) and if i wanted a "dictate" I would go to China.

Such great Software, such a shame, i feel sorry for every developer...

just my two cents...

LordRayden
P.S. For those who don't have arguments and therefore point out the typos, Sorry English is my third language...

trebul

Thanks for the update, thanks for all your hard work! :)

I've been running 1.1.11 but I think it might be time for a venture into 2.0 when RC4 is released.

Love talking about pets?
      Visit a friendly pet forum!

Looking for tips to running a forum?
      Trebul's community guide

bloc

Quote from: LordRayden on July 31, 2010, 02:48:24 PM
Hi all,
I think this my first post and could also be the last after I'm done but...
I'm reading, "that's good news" and so on, so where exactly are the good news?
I'm reading the post over and over for there are no good news in it.

There are 48 Entries in the Bug Tracker, great a few weeks ago there were only 38, but you reopened a few, an a quite big one to.
You post states, for the past few months you were doing "politics" and not coding.
This software is for 5 Years in Development, other Software(free forum software) have at least two releases in this period of time, the second free software that I know whit such a Development cycle is OScommerce, but you know there is no use in being the best in something if you are the only one who knows it...
I was with a few software titles with a long term development but you could see progress, you could see that something is happening. In the last few months there is nothing happening with SMF, no sorry it is, a lot of politics. I was waiting for MODx Revolution (almost two years) to start my next big Project and I was searching for a forum software and thought i found it in SMF but after i was reading the Forum and other sites I'm not sure anymore. I was also waiting for phpBB 3 but I didn't like that what came out but as things are standing right now I think the best thing to do is to go back to phpBB. WTF happened to this Software, at the moment i get the feeling it's like Duke Nukem.

Are the good news that the RC4 is going to be out soon? I'm reading that for a while in the forum, nothing happens.
If things go on like this the Software is going to be old when it gets released. You started the Development with PHP3? Then you had to convert to PHP4 then to PHP5 and as things are going soon to PHP6? When is this going to end? If you still have old PHP3 code in it you can never perform like software written in PHP5. I just don't get it. What is going on?

Ok, now i wanted to thank the Developers for they work, they are not fault for bad Management (like Vista, the Developers weren't fault that the software was a piece of junk, or you can blame the Developers that they started over with Duke Nukem three times and changed the Engine three times, it was the management), they are just doing as they told. You have a few very good things in your software and I hope you can finish it but I don't believe in it, it takes too long.

For all of those who will now post, do it yourself, I'm only programming/altering software for my needs, I don't do it professionally, I'm not good enough to do it professionally(in my opinion), I'm a supporter, I can analyze code, I can find problems and I was thinking about to join but then I found a few thing and thought to myself, no thank you. I'm living in a Democracy (such a nice word on paper, but as soon as a human says it it's something bad and It doesn't work) and if i wanted a "dictate" I would go to China.

Such great Software, such a shame, i feel sorry for every developer...

just my two cents...

LordRayden
P.S. For those who don't have arguments and therefore point out the typos, Sorry English is my third language...

Well, things change. And right now SMF is in a good flow.

THATS what I like to focus on, at least. Others can go use PhpBB or whatever lol, doesn't change the fact that SMF is one of the best forum scripts out there.

Advertisement: