News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Secret Question Useless - Is This A Bug?

Started by Siirist, August 03, 2010, 12:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siirist

Hello,

Why is it there is a Secret Question in the software if it does nothing?
For example:

"Secret Question
To help retrieve your password, enter a question here with an answer that only you know.
Answer
Choose carefully, you wouldn't want someone guessing your answer!"
I believed that this was designed so that if you answer your secret question correctly, the forum would reveal your password.
After clicking on forgot password it only asked for a captcha and if that and the Secret Question are answered correctly, the forum will let you in to reset your password and choose one again.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have searched through 89 topics click here for the click here for the Search Results

Here is what REALLY happens (as revealed by SS):
Click on "Forgot your password"
Takes member to a page that asks for the email address that the member provided when they registered
Click on "Continue" and the software says "A mail has been sent to your email address. Click on the link in that mail to set a new password".
HUH?????  Why the Secret question????
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

--> At least 50% of the questions asked are answered in the Online Manual <--
Mods for ver 1.x will NOT run on ver 2.x

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

If you have a secret question set, as soon as you provide the username or email address, it will ask you two questions:
"Email me a new password" OR Let me set a new password by answering my "secret question"

As you choose Secret Question, you'll be asked for further information. That is where it is used.

PS: This is only asked if you have set a secret question.

Siirist

Quote from: (F.L.A.M.E.R) on August 03, 2010, 12:37:10 PM
If you have a secret question set, as soon as you provide the username or email address, it will ask you two questions:
"Email me a new password" OR Let me set a new password by answering my "secret question"

As you choose Secret Question, you'll be asked for further information. That is where it is used.

PS: This is only asked if you have set a secret question.

(F.L.A.M.E.R)

Thank you for replying so quickly!!

I am an admin of 3 forums, and help with another.  No where have I seen the "switch" to "turn on" secret question and secret answer. I would think that it is "on" by default when the SMF ver 2.0 RC3 software is installed.

Thanks Again :),
Cloud 8)
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

It is not asked on registration, it is an additional security for your account incase your email is hacked.

You need to set it here:
Profile --> Account Settings --> Secret Question

If you set one along with the answer, then you can use it. As you add in text in the secret question, that will turn on the option to request change of password via secret question.

Siirist

Quote from: (F.L.A.M.E.R) on August 03, 2010, 01:03:30 PM
It is not asked on registration, it is an additional security for your account incase your email is hacked.

You need to set it here:
Profile --> Account Settings --> Secret Question

If you set one along with the answer, then you can use it. As you add in text in the secret question, that will turn on the option to request change of password via secret question.

Thanks (F.L.A.M.E.R),  :)

Um, does this mean that I need to be logged in as Admin on each of the 4 forums that I am connected with and then modify the settings on each member in those forums? :o

Be Well, ;)
Cloud
Needed information:

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Just do it for yourself. Every Member can do their own if they want. It is an additional setting. Not mandatory.

Siirist

Quote from: tesser on August 03, 2010, 01:43:16 PM
Like this

Thanks tesser :)

But when I went to Demo's Profile -> Account Settings -> Secret Question

I don't get that, I get the attached SS

Be Well,
Cloud

Need Access to Demo?
Needed information:

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

What tesser showed you is the step which occurs in Forgot Password area. After setting the secret question, go to forgot password and you'll see the option.

Siirist

Quote from: (F.L.A.M.E.R) on August 03, 2010, 01:57:53 PM
What tesser showed you is the step which occurs in Forgot Password area. After setting the secret question, go to forgot password and you'll see the option.

Hi (F.L.A.M.E.R),

Well, what I get is SS #5 & 6

Demo can't do much. No posting etc, but can go to account settings.

Username=Demo
Password=letmesee

Thanks,
Cloud
Needed information:

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

In Username/Email field, fill in your username or Email.

As you provided us with the test account, just use "Demo"

It will show you the screen.

Siirist

Quote from: (F.L.A.M.E.R) on August 03, 2010, 02:10:47 PM
In Username/Email field, fill in your username or Email.

As you provided us with the test account, just use "Demo"

It will show you the screen.

Okay, I feel like an idiot :-[  Sorry.

Thanks, it functions as you held my hand all the way.
and I have changed Demo's password.

Thanks Again and Be Well,
Cloud 8)

EDIT -> marked Topic as SOLVED  ;D
Needed information:

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Advertisement: