500 Internal Server Error after having new host migrate for me

Started by madman71, August 03, 2010, 05:59:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madman71

Hi,

After migration, i went to run the repair_settings.php (set to 777) and after i pull it up via browser, i get the dreaded :

500 Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/2.0.63 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.0.63 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at xxxxxxx.com Port 80

I did some test, and i can not even get a text document to display in my browser. No files in my forum folder will be displayed.
Any ideas what would cause this error with any file being pulled up in the browser?

CapadY

Start opening "settings.php" with a good text editor
Nearly at the bottom end is the path to the cache directory defined. This path is not corrected by repair_settings so modify it manualy.

The next step is clearing the forum cache.
Because you cant view your site you will have to do this via FTP

Go to the forumroot/cache directory and delete all files except index.php and .htacces

You have a reasonable change everything is working fine after that.
Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

The issue is not with the paths in the first place and nor with caching.

Change your folder permissions to 755 and file permissions to 644. That should get you back up.

madman71

right now my FORUM directory is 777.
is that not good enough?

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Some hosts use suPHP which allows you to do 755 and not 777. Hence you get the error.

madman71

ok, i just checked. a majority of the folders in FORUM are already 755
many of the files in the forum root are 644

still error  :'(

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Majority does not bring your forum back online. You need to have your files 644 and folders at 755. All the forum files. Mainly index.php and .htaccess.

madman71

all folders in the FORUM are now 755 and all files are 644. (this does not included folders deeper than 1 directory)

still error :(

Tyrsson

PM at your own risk, some I answer, if they are interesting, some I ignore.

madman71

i'll have to ask my host. Im not too savoy with SSH.
I can make, delete, and change permissions in the  FORUM dir though.

I have also asked my host to look into this error. I read here at SMF that if it's internal error, ask your host.

Tyrsson

Ok, what is the FORUMS directory perms set at? Usually the most common reason for a 500 is what has been posted here already, its usually perm related.

madman71

ok, i managed to see that public_html is at 777

Forum is at 755
all folders just below forum is 755 as well.

still waiting to hear back from my host

tumbleweed

G.C. SOLUTIONS - Hosting Quality Sites Since 2006. Experience Your Forums On A Whole New Level
Elastic Sites Stress Fast CPU/Ram Upgrades- More Info Here.
Reviews By SMF Forum Owners - Read Our Rev

Tyrsson

The perms on the public_html is most likely what is killin ya.

madman71

topic solved.

My host did something to clear up the error.

thanks guys

Advertisement: