News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Adding Menu tabs to SMF 2.0

Started by Siirist, August 04, 2010, 02:37:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siirist

Hello,

Having problems with H's Adding tabs to SMF 2.0  (Read 17141 times)"
I must be an idiot because apparently 17,140 other members can use his "tutorial" without problems.

I want to change the menu from:
WHEN LOGGED IN:
Home - Help - Search - Profile - My Messages - Calendar - Members - Logout

Index - A Sanctuary - Help - My Messages - My Profile - Calendar - Search - Our Members - Logout

WHEN A GUEST:
Home - Help - Login - Register

Index - A Sanctuary - Help - Login - Register

How can that be done?

I have attached Sources/Subs.php and Themes-default-languages-index.english.php
(both saved using Notepad++)

Thanks in advance for any assistance
Cloud :( :(
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

--> At least 50% of the questions asked are answered in the Online Manual <--
Mods for ver 1.x will NOT run on ver 2.x

TheListener

Have you got the use of a test forum?

Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail

And where is 'A Sanctuary' link goes?

Siirist

Quote from: Brack1 on August 04, 2010, 02:40:58 PM
Have you got the use of a test forum?

Hi Brack1,

Negative, but I have such little traffic on the "live" forum (one to five posts a week) that I use that.

Thanks,
Cloud
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

Siirist

Needed information:

Quote from: SurvivorOfAbuse on August 04, 2010, 02:50:10 PM
Quote from: ahrasis on August 04, 2010, 02:47:21 PM

www.asanctuary.net
I don't quite get it. So what about 'Index'? Where do you want it to go to?

Siirist

Quote from: ahrasis on August 04, 2010, 02:56:24 PM
Quote from: SurvivorOfAbuse on August 04, 2010, 02:50:10 PM
Quote from: ahrasis on August 04, 2010, 02:47:21 PM

www.asanctuary.net
I don't quite get it. So what about 'Index'? Where do you want it to go to?

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP :D

Index is just a verbal change from Home to Index clicking on it takes "you" back to
www.asanctuary.net/yoursanctuary/index.php

Cloud 8)
Needed information:

Please attach you your Subs.php file for us to see.

Siirist

Needed information:

I was about to ask for the 'correct' Subs.php but I'e just realized that you have already attached it but only with different name.

You have coded it right (I think). So there isn't many things to do. I am guessing that your problem is due to the file name i.e. you may have uploaded it as Sources-Subs.php and not replacing the right file. Same goes to index.english.php.

I also try to register to your forum to enable me seeing the menu, but I have got parse error. I would advise you to check on this.

I made a very minor changes to your index.english.php file, basically changing from "$txt['as website'] = 'Main Website';" to "$txt['as website'] = 'A Sanctuary';" and attached it here.

May be you can retry and replace the file correctly.

Siirist

Quote from: ahrasis on August 04, 2010, 04:14:38 PM
I was about to ask for the 'correct' Subs.php but I'e just realized that you have already attached it but only with different name.

You have coded it right (I think). So there isn't many things to do. I am guessing that your problem is due to the file name i.e. you may have uploaded it as Sources-Subs.php and not replacing the right file. Same goes to index.english.php.

I also try to register to your forum to enable me seeing the menu, but I have got parse error. I would advise you to check on this.

I made a very minor changes to your index.english.php file, basically changing from "$txt['as website'] = 'Main Website';" to "$txt['as website'] = 'A Sanctuary';" and attached it here.

May be you can retry and replace the file correctly.

ahrasis

Thanks so much!! :D

PLEASE NOTE: I changed the file path from / to - because Windows will not allow a / in the file name. :P

I will look into parse errors as you are the second person in 24 hours to have this problem. :-[
I will also install the file you corrected for us. ;)  and then will r ;)turn shortly with an edit on the results.
Thanks again :D

Be Well,
Cloud 8)

EDIT ->
No change  :'(
As I stay logged into the forum, I went to the forum via IE8 and no errors. Hmmm
here's the link
http://www.asanctuary.net/yoursanctuary/index.php
and you should be able to see as posted earlier at least 3 menu Items
Index - A Sanctuary - Help - Login - Register
Needed information:

Siirist

Hello again, :)

Here is what I am trying to do: ???

GUEST MENU
Home     Help     Login    Register
DESIRED GUEST MENU
Website     Index     Help     Login    Register

STANDARD MEMBER MENU
Home     Help     Search     Profile             My Messages      Calendar            Members                   Logout
                                       Summary         Read Messages  View Calendar    View the memberlist
                                       Acct. Settings   Send Message    Post Event          Search For Members
                                       Forum Profile
DESIRED MEMBER MENU
Website     Index     Help     Messages          Profile            Calendar        Members         Search     Logout
                                         Send Message   Summary       Post Event      Search for members
                                                                 Account Settings
                                                                 Forum Profile
                                                                 Look & Layout
(website is www.asanctuary.net.                   Index is same as Home)

STANDARD ADMIN MENU
Hm / Hp / S / Admin         Moderate    Profile          My Messages       Calendar           Members     Logout
                    Feat. & Opt. Mod. Log      Summary   Read Messages    View Calendar   View the memberlist
                    Packages     Rep. Posts   Acct Set.     Send Message     Post Event        Search For Members
                    Error Log                       Forum Profile
Hm=Home  Hp=Help  S=Search    Feat. & Opt.=Features and Options    Mod.=Moderation    Rep.=Reported    Acct=Account    Set.=Settings
DESIRED ADMIN MENU
W.S. / In. / Hp / Admin            Moderate     Profile         Messages         Calendar       Members / S / Logout
                        Feat. & Opt.    Mod. Log      Summary   Send Messages  Post Event    Search For Members
                        Packages       Rep. Posts    Acct Settings
                        Awards                             Forum Profile
                                                                                    Look and Layout
W.S.=WebSite    In=Index    Hp=Help  S=Search    Feat. & Opt.=Features and Options    Mod.=Moderation    Rep.=Reported    Acct=Account    Set.=Settings

STRONGLY DESIRED ADMIN MENU
W.S. / In. / Admin        Moderate     Profile         Messages           Calendar           Members / S / Hp / Logout
                 Boards       Mod. Log      Summary   Send Message     View Calendar   View the memberlist
                 Packages   Rep. Posts    Account Settings                   Post Event         Search For Members
                 Awards                         Forum Profile
                 Forum Maintenance
W.S.=WebSite    In=Index    Hp=Help  S=Search    Feat. & Opt.=Features and Options    Mod.=Moderation    Rep.=Reported    Acct=Account    Set.=Settings

Hmmm
Thanks in advance.

Be Well,
Cloud :-[

EDIT ->
If you want to login, use our Demo (which has almost no permissions)
username=Demo
password=letmesee
Needed information:

It is very much possible even without changing your Subs.php and index.english.php.

I would always advise to use Content Management System Mod or CMS Mod. It uses it own menu based on SMF 2.0 RC3 default menu which is editable as one of its features.

I prefer a simple and straightforward solution like this, if I were you. What I do is I will copy the menu from Subs.php, edit it in some editor software (mine is UltraEdit), then replace the CMS Mod default menu with it. It is quite simple and straightforward. I would check the code here with others just in case I make a mistake. I know you can do it yourself since you have done it before.

Btw, do make up your mind especially when you are asking people to help.

Siirist

ahrasis,

Thank you for your help. :D

I looked at CMS mod and it appeared "too complicated".  What I am doing is proceeding slowly at moving things in the Subs.php and have been successful at getting the Menu in the order desired. ;D

I am about to start on the sub-menus. O:)

EDIT ->
Still have not been able to get the first menu word (A Sanctuary) to show up, though there is a space there and if I hover over it, it changes color, and if I select it, it opens the correct web-page.

This started working when I had made changes to the Admin sub-menu and then cleared the forum cache and refreshed twice.
I refreshed three more times, but the corrected sub-menu has not appeared, will double check index.english.php
Once I have all the changes completed, I will mark this topic "Solved"
ALL CHANGES COMPLETED!! ;D
<-EDIT

Hope all is, and continues to go well with you,
Cloud 8)
Needed information:

Advertisement: