Help Modifying the Menu URL's

Started by theloon, August 05, 2010, 11:16:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theloon

Hi,

I've spent time searching these forums and reading the manual and I've found some help, but not exactly what I'm searching for. I'm trying to do something like this website, hxxp:computerhope.com/forum/index.php [nonactive]. Note, they are using SMF 1.1.8 and I've decided to try out 2.0 RC3. I am trying to do the same sort of concept as that website, which is to display all the SMF forum functionality within my own website.  The computer hope site has various links within its forum menu and whenever you click on a link in the forum section, you will always have the same top level menu and image show up on the site. This is the concept I am trying to accomplish.

I've found this, http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=261880.0, but I'm still unsure.  For example, the default SMF install has a menu item called Search. If I click on that search menu, my own website's header logo and top nav gets replaced with the main search page in SMF.
I'm trying to figure out a way to point an SMF menu item, like search, to my own URL which would embed the search page inside my overall website.

If anyone has seen other forums that have these specifics, please point me to those.  Thank you.

xenovanis

Hi theloon, welcome to SMF :)

Now, I could be mistaken, but it looks like they built a forumtheme based on their websites design, or the other way around. The SMF searchbox in the top right corner is probably replaced by a Google searchbox, or a modification like this:
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1930

So, what exactly are you looking for? A theme based on your own design or do you want to integrate your website with your forum?
How do I integrate SMF into my PHP coded website?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

theloon

Thanks for your response. What I'm attempting (I'm really experimenting) to do is take my existing website UI/design and incorporate the nice SMF forum into it....without using an SMF theme for my site. But, if I can't get it to work as I would like, I may have to look closer at using a theme. Note, I have my own top nav menu, along with various pages in my site. Now I'm looking to integrate the SMF forum into my site, if possible. Or, maybe I need to educate myself more on SMF themes, since I'm a newbie.

xenovanis

What you are trying to accomplish may not be easy. Start by reading the stickies in the Graphics and Templates board and try the search function. Trial and error is how most of us learned  ;)
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Advertisement: