My forum did not email, this is how i fixed it!

Started by dehsnowman, August 07, 2010, 01:12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dehsnowman

Hi, my forum was not sending emails, this is how i fixed it.

It was a super simple fix, all you need to do is make sure you forum is setup to have the php email settings:

Once you have these settings make sure you have the proper email in the webmaster email.
I believe this must be a @yourdomain email (aka if you own badazz.com [nofollow] you must have a @badazz.com email). once this is set, your good to go!

Snowman

diamondred123

Learner but knows a little

Kill Em All

Do you have it setup so that when they register, they are sent a email, if so, are they getting that email? or is it a problem with just the forgot your password part? Is there anything in your error logs?

Also, its not a good idea to post your email publicly.

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

dehsnowman

Quote from: Kill Em All on August 07, 2010, 02:35:27 PM
Do you have it setup so that when they register, they are sent a email, if so, are they getting that email? or is it a problem with just the forgot your password part? Is there anything in your error logs?

Also, its not a good idea to post your email publicly.

Im honestly not sure were to even look if the pw is wrong... it could be the case.

I have it set so people do not recieve an email right now, because it wasnt working.

Neither of thoes are my primary emails but are my primary contact, so i dont mind that they are public, but thank you for your concern about my privacy :)

Snowman

Kill Em All

Well I assume if they can't remember their password, they are using the forgot password link. For the administrator's email address, are you using one such as [email protected] or @gmail.com, or are you using one like [email protected]?

If using one such as gmail, then you will need to setup the SMTP, if using one such as yourdomain.com, then you can use php as your mail type and there should be no need to setup the SMTP details.

Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

dehsnowman

Quote from: Kill Em All on August 07, 2010, 03:28:35 PM
Well I assume if they can't remember their password, they are using the forgot password link. For the administrator's email address, are you using one such as [email protected] or @gmail.com, or are you using one like [email protected]?

If using one such as gmail, then you will need to setup the SMTP, if using one such as yourdomain.com [nofollow], then you can use php as your mail type and there should be no need to setup the SMTP details.

Im honestly not sure what email I used, If i knew it was for the emailing system I would have used a @mydomain but if I didnt catch what it was for, and I thought maybe it was important I would have used a @yahoo email.

Could you possibly help me over aim (Dehsnowman) or msn ([email protected])?

I cought on pretty quick to the smf forums (MUCH easier than phpbb) but its still like learning a new launguage!

Thanks,
Snowman

live627

Help should be publicly displayed to others. Hosting with Yahoo Geocities, huh? I think they have Safe Mode on, which disallows sending of mail. It also disables some filesystem functions, so, try uploading an attachment and report back.

dehsnowman

Quote from: live627 on August 07, 2010, 04:06:58 PM
Help should be publicly displayed to others. Hosting with Yahoo Geocities, huh? I think they have Safe Mode on, which disallows sending of mail. It also disables some filesystem functions, so, try uploading an attachment and report back.

like what kind of attachment?

I have complete controll of all files with filezilla if that what you mean.. i can upload and delete pictures exc leme know :) TY

and if somone helps me privatly I will update my post with how the problem was solved

live627

No through the SMF interface, upload some test file. Not using FileZilla.

dehsnowman

I am lost, i went through and changed some settings i agian tested the email  with the current setup and still nothing. I am uploading pics to my servers and will display them :) so if your reading this and there isnt pictures in the first post then check back in a second :)

Kill Em All

You do not need to fill out the SMTP info if you are using PHP. In Admin>Server Settings>Webmaster Email Address, what do you have there? is it something like @yahoo, or is it @yourdomain.com?

Check with Yahoo to see if they have safe mode enabled.

dehsnowman

Quote from: Kill Em All on August 07, 2010, 05:45:35 PM
You do not need to fill out the SMTP info if you are using PHP. In Admin>Server Settings>Webmaster Email Address, what do you have there? is it something like @yahoo, or is it @yourdomain.com?

Check with Yahoo to see if they have safe mode enabled.

I have checked there was actually nothing there LOL. I have replaced it with a forum@mydomain email and am in the process of testing it now.

I cannot call yahoo until monday.. so if this doesnt work it seems im SoL tell then :*

haha ty for the help tho... i will update this when ive tested it :)

Kill Em All

Make sure in your Yahoo CP, that you create that email address, you just can't use a phony email address.

dehsnowman

Quote from: Kill Em All on August 07, 2010, 05:57:17 PM
Make sure in your Yahoo CP, that you create that email address, you just can't use a phony email address.

I have created this email, although it is a substidary of a different email. AKA you email forum@mydomain and it really sends it to Dehsnowman@mydomain ... do you think this will be a problem?

Kill Em All

Maybe... but the email is setup to send emails, not receive them. So I'm not quite sure if it will be trying to send the emails through your email address or the @yourdomain.com email address. I'm pretty sure it will go through @yourdomain.com, so that should be fine.

dehsnowman

mk i have figured it out!

Email registers as it is from mydomain.com [nofollow] NOT the email i put in webmaster.. BUT it does show inside the message as being from the forum@mydomain :)

thank you all very much! I will update my post with how i fixxed it, then you can lock if you wish :)

live627

We'll just mark it as solved... we don't lock topics without reasoj

Advertisement: