News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

IE crashes on Reply Screen

Started by blow, August 08, 2010, 10:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blow

Hi. I'm in trouble with Internet Explorer... (for SMF 2.0 RC3)
Every time I go to a message editor page of my forum (to create a new topic or a new reply), IE suddenly crashes up. Not only for me: a lot of people that use IE (different versions) reported me the issue.

Firefox, Opera and Chrome run fine. I use a custom theme, but the default Curve one also does that.

What could it be?

xenovanis

I'd say stop using IE but that would be lame now, wouldn't it  :)

Is it all versions of IE? Does IE show any 'errors in the page' just before crasing?

What mods have you installed?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

blow

Quote from: xenovanis on August 09, 2010, 11:31:38 AM
I'd say stop using IE but that would be lame now, wouldn't it  :)
It would not be the best solution...  :P
(My forum has lots of IE users, I can't force them to change their browsers...)  :-\

Quote from: xenovanis on August 09, 2010, 11:31:38 AMIs it all versions of IE? Does IE show any 'errors in the page' just before crasing?
IE 7 and IE 8 are failing (I don't know about IE 6).
The reply page doesn't even appear. When you click the link to go there, the browser changes the page title and starts to load the page, but it instantly crashes up and IE shows up the "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close" message.

QuoteWhat mods have you installed?
Here they go:

1. SimpleAds 1.0
2. Karma Buttons 1.1
3. Profil Moderator Managment 1.0.0
4. SMF Canonical Tag 1.2
5. MCLegendII RC3 3.0
6. Topics list support [Taby] 1.04
7. Related Topics 1.4 RC1
8. Adk Portal 2.0 RC3-1
9. Posting_Announcement 2.0
10. Users Online Today 1.5.6
11. nCode Image Resizer 1.3.1
12. PM to New Members 1.2
13. Started By Column 1.0
14. PECL Memcached Support 1.0
15. More Spiders 1.2
16. Downloads System 1.3.4.2
17. Countdown BBCode 1.3
18. Pretty URLs 1.0
19. Current Signature Mod 1.1
20. Sitemap 2.1.2
21. PM Sent Notification 1.0.4
22. Box BBCode 1.2
23. Justify BBCode 2.3.1
24. Birthday on Profile Summary 1.0
25. YouTube BBCode 2.4
26. Member Awards 2.2.1
27. Spoiler Tag 0.7.2
28. Formspring Profile Field 1.0
29. InfoBox 0.3
30. [user] BBC Tag 1.0.1
31. Signature Dropdown Choices 1.2
32. Table Plus BBCodes 1.2
33. Attachment Icon File 1.0
34. Simple Ad Rotator 1.0

Thank you for your attention.

xenovanis

Can you supply me with a link to your forum and logindetails for a testaccount please?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

blow

Quote from: xenovanis on August 09, 2010, 06:06:10 PM
Can you supply me with a link to your forum and logindetails for a testaccount please?
Sure. I'm sending you the details by PM.
Thanks. :)

blow

I noticed that my server stores an error in its errorlog when I go to the reply screen:

[Thu Aug 12 16:49:01 2010] [error] [client xxx.xx.xx.xxx] File does not exist: /home/mydomain/public_html/forum/forum, referer: http://www.mywebsite.com/forum/boardname/?action=post

"/forum/forum" is a bit weird. Could it be the cause of the problem?

xenovanis

Sorry for late responding. I'm a bit busy in real life.  :-\

Your error is odd. Although it seems unlikely, maybe there's a problem with the pathsettings of your custom theme. You can check this in Admin -> Configuration -> Themes and Layout -> Theme Settings

blow

Quote from: xenovanis on August 13, 2010, 01:08:36 AM
Your error is odd. Although it seems unlikely, maybe there's a problem with the pathsettings of your custom theme. You can check this in Admin -> Configuration -> Themes and Layout -> Theme Settings
It's all right there. I've also run the repair_settings.php file to check it better and there's no problems at this point.  :-\

Sorry for late responding. I'm a bit busy in real life.  :-\
No prob. :)

xenovanis

Quote from: blow on August 13, 2010, 07:14:14 PM
It's all right there. I've also run the repair_settings.php file to check it better and there's no problems at this point.  :-\

repair_settings only fixes the path to the default theme. In Admin -> Configuration -> Themes and Layout -> Theme Settings, at the bottom of the page, there's an option to "attempt to reset all themes". Have you seen that?

I'd like you to upload a fresh copy of Post.template.php to your current themes directory (make a backup of the one that's in there, if it is) and see f that helps.

blow

Quote from: xenovanis on August 14, 2010, 02:07:36 AM
repair_settings only fixes the path to the default theme. In Admin -> Configuration -> Themes and Layout -> Theme Settings, at the bottom of the page, there's an option to "attempt to reset all themes". Have you seen that?
Hmm... It's all right there.

Quote from: xenovanis on August 14, 2010, 02:07:36 AMI'd like you to upload a fresh copy of Post.template.php to your current themes directory (make a backup of the one that's in there, if it is) and see f that helps.
I've already tried that before. No results.
Anyway, I think it's not a issue with my custom theme, because when I change it to the default one (Curve) the error persists.  :-\

blow

blow

I was trying to find out the cause of the problem and I've got a surprise: when I uninstall Pretty URLs mod, IE stops crashing!

However, Pretty URLs is an important mod to my forum... I don't wanna remove it.
Does anyone know why is it causing that bug? (I'm also gonna ask the mod author in his topic.)

techsavy

you can try This Mod I dont think its as good as Pretty Urls, but i think itll get the job done.

xenovanis

Glad you at least found the problem, blow :) Wish I could have been more help.

Hopefully vbgamer45 is able to clear things up for you  ;)

Advertisement: