News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Allow Deny Board Permission

Started by Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail, November 19, 2012, 11:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail

Mod Link

Allow Deny Board Permission

Taken over by: BurkeKnight - BurkeKnight Enterprises from: Joker™

For Support: The mod's Support topic at SMF, or at BurkeKnight Enterprises.

By default this modification in doesn't make any considerable changes in your forum and your forum will remain as it is.

This modification helps us the admin to create deny permission for each membergroup(regular/post) per board basis.

With the default permission system of SMF if a member is having more than 1 groups assigned to him/her and even if one of the assigned group is having access to the board, in that case the member has complete access to the board.
This becomes a bit of issue for administrators having a lot of groups on there forums.

Just to make sure that the mod is properly enabled please follow the below mentioned steps:
Administration Center >> Boards >> Settings
- Enable allow/deny mod (make sure this option is checked)

With this mod you can edit deny board from 2 places

1. Go to
Administration Center >> Boards >> Modify Boards
- Try to add/modify any board
- Just check the member groups you want to deny from accessing this board by selecting the checkboxes in "Deny groups:" region.

2. Or
Administration Center >> Membergroups
- Try to add or edit a membergroup
- Just below visible boards you will be able to see deny board permission too.

All done, the user having the membergroup checked can't access the board anymore even if the other membergroup associated with the user has the access permission.

Change Log

Version 1.1
- Major bug fix where users can access the boards by directly hitting the URL. Thanks to swordsman1 for pointing this out
- Mod added to github - GitHub Link

License
* This SMF Modification is subject to the Mozilla Public License Version
* 1.1 (the "License"); you may not use this SMF modification except in compliance with
* the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at
* http://www.mozilla.org/MPL/

Nice mod. I will try it and learn from it. I am still weak on this permission things.

swordsman1

I have denied access to a board for a particular membergroup, and the board disappears from the index as expected. However they can still access the board by going direct eg by typing http://www.myforum.com/index.php/board,5.0.html, or by following a link, or a bookmark. Once there they can post and reply as normal.

Any chance of fixing this, I really need this mod.

Joker™

Quote from: swordsman1 on November 07, 2013, 05:12:29 PM
I have denied access to a board for a particular membergroup, and the board disappears from the index as expected. However they can still access the board by going direct eg by typing http://www.myforum.com/index.php/board,5.0.html, or by following a link, or a bookmark. Once there they can post and reply as normal.

Any chance of fixing this, I really need this mod.
Note sure what happened at your end, but with a fresh install of SMF 2.0.6

- Installed the mod
- Denied the Regular group access to a board
- Create a dummy account and tried with following link
http://localhost/smf2/index.php?topic=2.0
http://localhost/smf2/index.php?board=1.0

And it gave me the following message
QuoteThe topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

How to enable Post Moderation

"For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions." - Laozi

All support seeking PM's get microwaved

swordsman1

Hi Joker, I can get it to work for the Regular Members group as in your example. I notice that Regular Members then becomes unticked in the Allowed Groups list. However I have created a new membergroup so that I can deny the board to specific members by manually assigning them to that group. It doesn't seem to work in that situation. (Presumably because Regular Members is still ticked in the Allowed Groups list?)

Joker™

Quote from: swordsman1 on November 30, 2013, 06:31:49 PM
Hi Joker, I can get it to work for the Regular Members group as in your example. I notice that Regular Members then becomes unticked in the Allowed Groups list. However I have created a new membergroup so that I can deny the board to specific members by manually assigning them to that group. It doesn't seem to work in that situation. (Presumably because Regular Members is still ticked in the Allowed Groups list?)

Hmm, wired issue. Debugging it.

Ahh, got it. Lets roll out a new version ;)
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

"For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions." - Laozi

Joker™

Mod updated, please try the new version :).
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

I am entrusted with this mod now but I haven't have time to look into it deeply yet. I also believe that my brother Joker is a better coder than I am. I will try to do my best in handling this mod.

Quote from: ahrasis on November 20, 2012, 01:15:44 AM
Nice mod. I will try it and learn from it. I am still weak on this permission things.

Now, I have to understand permission system better. :)

Thank you for supporting this mod and do feel free to ask for support.

Darkness7148

Mod doesn't seem to be working at all for me. When I select a membergroup to deny from a board, it denies every group as well. Though the other groups can still see the board, when they click on it, it says "off limits".

Advertisement: