News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Simple Audio Video Embedder

Started by SMFHacks.com Team, August 09, 2010, 10:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chalky

Quote from: vbgamer45 on August 25, 2014, 01:23:33 PM
Quote from: Chalky on August 25, 2014, 01:03:33 PM
I've just installed 2.6 over my earlier version where Facebook links weren't being recognised at all, but now instead of my FB video link I get the word "Post" which links to the FB page with the video - in the same tab!  Taking users away from my forum.  Why isn't the FB link embedding?  You can see an example of this on my form here  http://chalkcat.com/index.php?topic=299.msg63846#msg63846
I see one embeded there are http://chalkcat.com/index.php?topic=299.msg63846#msg63846 it appears for me.

Oooooooh, you're right!  It seems to embed with every browser except the one I actually use: Firefox 31.0.  Any ideas??

Thanks for replying so quickly  :)

Edit:  Sorry, it was my bloody Ghostery!!  Thanks for the update vb, I'm a happy bunny now  :D

vbgamer45

Not sure maybe a bad plugin? I am using Firefox 31 myself and was able to view it.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Chalky

Sorry, I must have edited my post while you were looking into it.  All FB trackers were being blocked by my Ghostery, I've just allowed them and it works!  I have more Firefox plugins than I know what to do with  ::)  Thanks for your help and for the update - I love that FB videos now embed too!  :D

vbgamer45

Glad to help. Good to know for future reference haven't heard of Ghostery before.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

mikejezz

I am sorry this quesiton has probably been asked before...

But how do I embed a video into a post with this plugin?

Chalky

ikeveles

Is it possible to have this plugin and also be able to post links to YouTube (or whatever) videos?

When I insert a link like the example below, it automatically embeds it.

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZdWSCEMJbo]Link to YouTube video[/url]

And I just want it to be displayed like a link.

vbgamer45

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

akbora

SMF 2.0.13
Default Theme
Utf8 Turkish
---------------

vbgamer45

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

akbora

Oh sorry while post preview doesn't work appears only link.. But for example youtube link works post preview
Inside post yes worked
Thanks
SMF 2.0.13
Default Theme
Utf8 Turkish
---------------

Steve

DO NOT pm me for support!

vbgamer45

I believe I have disabled it from post previews so embedding shouldn't work at all.
I did this to fix editing post causing the link to disappear issue.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Schprocket

Hi,

Whilst I know just enough about programming in general to be dangerous, I'm not one for code-hacking where I can avoid it because usually someone has already beaten me to it, so I tend to use a "Lego" or modular approach to building things these days.

In an attempt to help get my over-worked mate's music forum something a little more up-with-the-times and mobile friendly, he's set up a test-site for me to play around with various mods.

The basic Youtube and SoundCloud mods were fine, but the Soundcloud mod I presume uses Flash because it never shows in iOS and it's been more miss than hit under Android.

I've removed those two mods now installed this mod, leaving only Tiny Portal and SMF4Mobile installed, and SMF version patched to 2.0.6.

I'm having an extremely difficult time trying to do what I would hoped to have been a relatively simple thing and that is to play an audio file in a mobile environment.

I installed this mod because it had the promise of SoundCloud, only to discover that it didn't work and when I came back here... sure enough, it doesn't work... :) so off the bat, I recommend removing the "SoundCloud" reference from the current package description until it does - it'll save getting posts from more emotive types :)

For Soundcloud, Reverbnation, and the newer HeartThis,
hearthis.at
the embedded player on a musician's page works under Safari so there's (obviously?) no requirement for Flash, and if it means just getting one mod which simply does that and there is one available, then I'd appreciate some help finding it, although I would prefer a Swiss Army Knife approach like this mod than install half a dozen bolt-ons which do similar things and the issues that may bring where they do the same thing. :)

That aside what I believe that I'm specifically looking for is an HTML5 audio player mod, pay-for doesn't bother me as long as I can be pointed to a few instances where it's being used and is working, which within a post on an SMF board will:

• play any audio file contained within a public link - e.g. from DropBox, Drive, etc
  • play any audio file or playlist from a site - typical examples Heartthis, SoundCloud, ReverbNation - Heartthis and Reverbnation have Facebook plugin/embedding
  • play any audio file attachment - typically mp3, m4a, wma, ogg - but wav, flac, and aif would be legendary.

Cheers!

Arantor

The problem with your last point is that it isn't going to happen for HTML5. Browser support for those built in is... terrible to be honest, meaning that any such integration really needs to have Flash and maybe Silverlight components to cover for formats the browser doesn't offer and even then... it's still iffy.

That and the fact that any use of HTML5 elements in SMF 2.0 which doesn't use HTML5 itself is going to be tricky in terms of maintaining valid pages (which in turn hurts SEO ranking), SMF pages are all XHTML 1.0 which long predates <audio>.

Schprocket

Hi Arantor (yes?)

Most of the people using the site are musos of varying descriptions and most have a SoundCloud account - or can get one with arm-twisting - or will have some sort of cloud service.

There is no player for attachments anyway on that site so the third point was really a wish; the first two are the important points.

So are you sort of saying those first two are possible?

Side-issue
I'm also having a hard time reading those verification images below these posts - I'm 52 and even with my glasses on and zoomed in they're too fubarred to read clearly, so it's cross-fingers and hope for the best, at the moment. This is the fourth attempt with the same image... and it won't let me change it now..

Arantor

(yes ;))

Actually, I wasn't touching on the first two points; I personally know nothing about the sites mentioned.

That said, any kind of third party widget is going to have issues with the whole deal with HTML5 unless it's embedded in an iframe (though just like YouTube I would imagine that's how it would be done anyway if they provide such a widget... if not... things get MUCH more complicated)

I was more directly tackling the third point because I've been doing a lot of work myself in that area of late and was amazed at how much of a mess browser support really is for such things. :(

As for the CAPTCHA image I can't remember if it goes away at 5 or 10 posts, but it does go away and I can certainly ask an admin to bump your post count past that point.

Schprocket

The captcha image doesn't bug me as a concept and I'll wear it for the first few posts but when it takes longer to verify than to write the damned post it does get frustrating :)

I want to ask more questions but I know I'm going to get myself into a depth which I could probably understand but I don't want to because it's not my hobby/interest. I only do this stuff as proof-of-concept and if it means having to hack pre-existing funky code which results in other things crashing on any day which end with a "y" (joke) then I don't want to know.

Like I said, I'm "modular man" - give me a bit that works without having to customise it to make it fit and I'll be happy. Customisation on the one hand is great but it sets you up for a massive fall or a lot of work when other things change.
This has is pretty much where my mate is at now with his customised forum and it was a pain for him to move to SMF 2.x, so if I go to him with a bunch of Heath Robinson/Rube Goldberg code, he ain't gonna wear it :)

I appreciate this feedback, BTW...

Arantor

What I'll say then is that it *is* probably doable but it really does need something with the impetus to research it properly for the sites you mentioned. I don't know if vbgamer is interested in that, but I'm experimenting with my own take on an autoembedder, and if I get to a useful place, I'll experiment with those sites too.

Doing it for attachments is still possible but you're really hamstrung on mobile because there's far fewer options in terms of what formats you can have. At least on desktop there's Flash and Silverlight options available to you. I know MediaElement.js (mediaelementjs.com) did a lot on this with their combined player, so that might an option to experiment with for someone who wants to go there, I can vouch for it since that's what my gallery is using for audio/video playing ;)

luuuciano

No me agradan los foros que no te dejan borrar TU PROPIO usuario, como por ejemplo smfsimple.com.
E incluso te mandan emails no solicitados, de los cuales, quizá, no puedas escapar porque NO te dejan posibilidad a deshabilitarlos (a menos que NO te tengan en su lista negra).

Advertisement: