News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

gCalSync

Started by kriation, August 10, 2010, 03:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kriation

Link to Mod

This modification provides SMF the ability to publish calendar entries to a Google calendar. In addition, there is underlying logic to enable SMF to modify the Google calendar entry when its modified within SMF.

Prequisites are to have the following PHP modules installed:
curl
json

Without these, the google-api that I'm using will fail to function properly rendering your forum (potentially) inoperable. Please validate that the server you'll be installing this modification on has these two modules installed. Drop me a message if you need help.

The need for this mod came when members of the forum that I run asked for iCal integration. Since Google Calendar had support for iCal, and a whole host of other platforms, it made the most sense to publish calendar entries to a Google calendar, which the users could sync to.

This is definitely a work in progress, and there is most certainly no warranty supplied with this code at all. In addition, I'm continuing to develop this through additional features and fixes. If you have any suggestions or would like to contribute code, please contact me via e-mail.

lucas-ruroken

Adk Portal 3.1 is coming....

Design your universe!

kriation

lucas-ruroken

I'm working with de API of youtube :P similar :P
Adk Portal 3.1 is coming....

Design your universe!

pftq

Excellent mod, thank you.  Members on my one of my forums were requesting this exact feature.

kriation

Quote from: pftq on August 23, 2010, 09:16:58 AM
Excellent mod, thank you.  Members on my one of my forums were requesting this exact feature.
Awesome! Let me know if you encounter any issues, or need any other features.

zushiba

You've no idea how much work this could save me. I'm eagerly testing.

kriation

Quote from: zushiba on August 23, 2010, 01:42:52 PM
You've no idea how much work this could save me. I'm eagerly testing.
I honestly am quite elated that folks are finding a use for this mod. I really felt like I was the only one who had members asking for it. Let me know if you find an issues/need any features.

KensonPlays

i use google calendar downloading to my site and ftping over to install!

one request for later on, allow 2-3 calendars? i have 4-5 total, 2-3 public.

kriation

Quote from: Kcmartz on August 23, 2010, 04:09:49 PM
i use google calendar downloading to my site and ftping over to install!

one request for later on, allow 2-3 calendars? i have 4-5 total, 2-3 public.
That's one that I've been considering for a while now; I just have to find an efficient way to manage which SMF calendar entries are associated with which Google Calendars. I'll work on it for the next version.

VegaTheChosen

where do I enter my calender info after its installed?

kriation

Quote from: VegaTheChosen on August 24, 2010, 12:46:41 AM
where do I enter my calender info after its installed?
From the Administration Center, click on Calendar, and then gCalSync Settings in the Calendar Menu, and you should see a dialog box prompting for the Google Username/Password associated with the Calendar you want to publish to. I've attached a few screenshots of the process to this post. Let me know if you need any other info.

VegaTheChosen

thanks for the info! Ok so when I installed it went smooth, but there is no gcal tab in the calender I guess thats my problem... how do Iget the tab to show? do you need me to upload files?

kriation

Quote from: VegaTheChosen on August 24, 2010, 11:40:39 AM
thanks for the info! Ok so when I installed it went smooth, but there is no gcal tab in the calender I guess thats my problem... how do Iget the tab to show? do you need me to upload files?
The modification synchronizes your SMF Calendar with a Google Calendar; it does not embed the Google Calendar into your SMF instance. When you insert an event into your SMF Calendar, it is added in real-time to the Google Calendar that's associated with the credentials you provided in the gCalSync Settings sub-menu.

VegaTheChosen

what im trying to say is,
do you see the gcal tab in the pic u posted in the calender area? GCALSYNC SETTINGS doesnt show on my forums, this is the problem im trying to remedey sorry i wasnt clear before

KensonPlays

Have not had the time to install this mod yet I downloaded zip and transferred to Packages via FTP but will install it maybe tomorrow I am not sure.

kriation

Quote from: VegaTheChosen on August 24, 2010, 07:22:00 PM
what im trying to say is,
do you see the gcal tab in the pic u posted in the calender area? GCALSYNC SETTINGS doesnt show on my forums, this is the problem im trying to remedey sorry i wasnt clear before
Hmm... interesting. Would you mind taking a screenshot and either posting it here, or PMing it to me?

VegaTheChosen

ok here's an image of what I mean

kriation

Quote from: VegaTheChosen on August 24, 2010, 11:18:04 PM
ok here's an image of what I mean

Thanks for the image Vega. I understand the issue your experiencing now. The reason it's not showing up in your administrative interface is because you are using a custom theme. The only template that I modify as part of the install process for gCalSync is the default SMF theme.

To continue using your theme, and use gCalSync follow these steps:
1) Navigate to your custom theme directory
2) Open the ManageCalendar.template.php for editting
3) Add the following (exact copy of the contents from my package) to the end of the file, making sure that the ?> remains at the very bottom of the file:

//gCalSync Settings Template
function template_modify_gCal()
{
        global $context, $scripturl, $sc, $modSettings, $txt;
        echo '
                <!-- Totally borrowed from template_modify_settings() -->
                <form acton=', $scripturl, '?action=managecalendar;sa=gCalSettings" method="post" accept-charset="', $context['character_set'], '">
                <table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="4" align="center" th="80%" class="tborder">
                        <tr class="titlebg">
                                <td colspan="2">',$txt['gCalS1'],'</td>
                        </tr>
                        <tr class="windowbg2">
                                <td align="right">',$txt['gCalS3'],'</label>:</td>
                                <td><input type="text" name="gCal_user" value="', !empty($modSettings['gCal_user']) ? $modSettings['gCal_user'] : '', '" size="40" /></td>
                        </tr>
                        <tr class="windowbg2">
                                <td align="right">',$txt['gCalS4'],'</label>:</td>
                                <td><input type="password" name="gCal_pass" value="', !empty($modSettings['gCal_pass']) ? $modSettings['gCal_pass'] : '', '" size="40" /></td>
                        </tr>
                        <tr class="windowbg2">
                                <td align="right" colspan="2">
                                        <input type="submit" value="', $txt['save_settings'], '" />
                                </td>
                        </tr>
                </table>
                <input type="hidden" name="sc" value="', $context['session_id'], '" />
                </form>';
}

Let me know if you need further help with this.

VegaTheChosen

its not showing on the default theme either.

Advertisement: