You were unable to login. Please check your cookie settings.

Started by Jack_40k, August 11, 2010, 09:15:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack_40k

OK,

So I spend about a week trying to get the package manager to work and it finally does. I install a few mods.. 3 MODS! and then try to login and look what happens...

"You were unable to login. Please check your cookie settings."

I cannot login into my account / any account on the forum using Google Chrome / Internet Explorer. Works fine using Firefox but cannot use Chrome or IE.

This issue seemed to occur after installing the "Ad Management" mod. I have no idea what it altered but it did something which rendered the forum unusable.

Yes - I have read through the many posts before this which suggested a few fixes including: Clearing SMFs cache, clearing browser history/cache/cookies, fiddling with the cookie settings in SMF (under server settings). That's what I've tried so far and it has had NO effect.

I am running SMF 2.0 RC3. How should I go about fixing this latest blunder?

Thanks,

Jack.

CapadY

go to the dir packages/backup and restore the backup "Before installing Ad Management".
Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

Jack_40k

Well I'm running the forum out of a virtual machine on my computer so I can backup and change back to a fresh install state any time I like. I need the ad management program to run on the site though, this is an integral part of the forum. I just want to know why this issue occurs. Is there a reason why SMF should be compatible with Firefox but not Chrome or IE?

Does anyone have a real fix for this problem or is it completely unsolved/avoided until this point?

Jack_40k

Well I found that something strange was happening. Even when I use a fresh install of SMF on the server (all new files, everything straight out of the install  package) this error still occurs. Also, when I use the theme "Argentum" on my forum, the error occurs and when I use the SMF default theme, it doesn't occur! So it seems as if the error is related to the theme I'm using.

Does anyone have a suggestion for how I can go about fixing this? I really like that theme and want to use it..

EDIT: Ok, now I've found out that the only reason the default theme login is working is because it has the 'quick login' bit up the top (without going to the login page). When I use the quick login I don't get the cookie error at all ever. However, when I use the proper login page, I receive the error. Something wrong with the code of the login page?

xenovanis

There's nothing wrong with the login page. It works for the most of us  ;)

Can you post back the settings from Admin -> Configuration -> Server Settings -> Cookies and Sessions?
Also, can you post a link to your site?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Jack_40k

Cookie Name: SMFCookie252

Default login cookies length (in minutes): 60

Enable local storage of cookies
(SSI won't work well with this on.)    = ticked

Use subdomain independent cookies
(turn off local cookies first!)               = unticked

Use database driven sessions                      = ticked
Allow browsers to go back to cached pages = ticked

Seconds before an unused session timeout = 2880

Yeah I know it works for most people.. So why not me? What's so strange about my setup? I installed SMF, uploaded my database and installed some mods. Now I can't login and friggen use the forum.

I cannot provide a link to the site because I'm running SMF out of a virtual machine on my computer as stated above.

xenovanis

How's this virtual machine setup? It could as well be an issue in the sessionsettings in your phpconfiguration.

Could you try running repair_settings and see what's the recommended settings for your cookies?

What is repair_settings.php?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Jack_40k

Yeah I ran it and the only change I made was the name of the cookie from 'SMFCookie252' to 'SMFCookie11'. Obviously that didn't work..

I run the virtual machine out of my computer using virtualbox and have Fedora 7 installed.  I have FTP enabled and allow SMF access to it and I access it myself using an FTP client.

I have a friend who set this up for me, he knows all about the server settings and Fedora etc.. but he's not here at the moment. How can I access the sessionsettings?

If I gave you a copy of the phpinfo file would that help?

Also, I only have this setup enabled so that I don't need FTP enabled on my live (online) server. My idea is to make the modifications to the forums on the virtual server, where I can make plenty of mistakes without consequences, then upload a stable version to the live server. Is there a chance that when I upload SMF in this state (with this error) the error will not occur on the live server? I just find it really strange that the issue doesn't occur using Firefox but does using IE or Chrome..?

Thanks.

xenovanis

To be honest, I do know serverconfiguration can cause problems, however I can't tell you how and why, of how it's best to setup the configuration.

However, if it does work in some browsers it might be an idea to check the cookiesettings for your browsers.

Jack_40k

I use the default cookie settings for the browsers, so if those don't work then they won't work for the majority of users (so no point really).

Jack_40k

Yeah I'm basically waiting for somebody to help me.. this is a major problem for me and I know other SMF members are experiencing the same thing (as there are other unanswered threads relating to this issue).

I have had so much trouble with SMF, I've been trying to upgrade a forum for 2 weeks unsuccessfully. This is ridiculous and borderlines the label unusable.

xenovanis

Sorry, can't help you with the cookiesettings :( I only know that it works in probably most cases on a decent configured server. Heck, it even works flawlessly on my probably indecent configured local windows machine. Even, since it does work for the most of us it's bound to be something on your side. Which could be anything, from even an antivirus application to a firewall.

Have you even tried installing a forum on your live server to see if the problem persists?

What went wrong with the upgrade anyway?

Jack_40k

OK here's a quick update.

I wiped everything clean and started new. My old live forum was at version 1.1.8. So what I did was create a fresh install of 1.1.8 on my virtual server. No problems, installed correctly and I set all permissions and ownership to their correct values.

I then uploaded my old 1.1.8 database and everything was just as it was in the online version (except I was using a default theme and no mods). *IMPORTANT* Just to be sure I checked to see if I could login correctly in 1.1.8 using the default theme login screen. This worked.

I then uploaded the SMF 2.0RC3 upgrade package to the server and started the upgrade. It all went smoothly and without error (database plus forum files/folders all successfully upgraded).

I then went to login to the SMF 2.0 RC3 board and the login failed.

How can this be a problem with the server side? I have upgraded the forum flawlessly and STILL get this error. This most likely indicates that it's not a problem on my side? More like a problem with the database change from 1.1.8 to 2.0 RC3? Would certain tables inserted by mods make a difference? (i.e. shoutbox/smf ads tables in the database?).

Is it worth uploading the upgraded version just to be sure that it doesn't work? It's a lot of time and effort wasted if it doesn't work..

I'm just SO puzzled. How can it not work?! What can possibly change that could fiddle with cookie settings and make it impossible to login (but NOT from Firefox?!?!)???

rd

I don't see anything wrong with upgrading from 1.1.8, but you should maybe try.

Leave the database, get 1.1.11 large UPGRADE package and upload those files and folders to your root smf install dir. Then run, localhost or whatever your using /upgrade.php

Use that to upgrade the database to 1.1.11 then get the 2.0 RC3 large UPGRADE package and upload all files and folders (don't touch the database), then go to the domain/ip/localhost and run /upgrade.php, if you had a domain it would have been yourdomain.com/upgrade.php is smf is in public_html

Upgrade.php will upgrade the database to SMF 2.0 RC3 version. 

Jack_40k

OK so basically you're saying upgrade from 1.1.8 to 1.1.11, then from 1.1.11 to 2.0 RC3?

If so, I've already done that (did it in the first instance).. And in fact when I first did this I don't remember the error occuring (can't be sure). But yes I can try it again tonight.

Jack_40k

Update: Upgraded from 1.1.8 to 1.1.11 - nope still get the error.

In fact, the error really is this:
- On first login try I get "An Error Has Occurred! You were unable to login. Please check your cookie settings."
- On second login try I get "Password incorrect".
- On third login try, I can login.

This is on Google Chrome and IE - on Firefox no problems..

Kays

Hi, have you tried changing the cookie settings in the Admin CP to the following?

Enable local storage of cookies - unchecked
Use subdomain independent cookies - checked
Use database driven sessions - checked

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

Jack_40k

Hi,

Yes I tried every combination of settings without success.

This might help diagnose the problem:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=173730.msg1192825#msg1192825
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=353822.msg2408460#msg2408460
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=325349.msg2167473#msg2167473

These seem to relate to the issue I'm having. In one of the threads they talk about the .HTACCESS file.. Not sure if that's of any relevance?

Also, does anyone know how I can save the phpinfo file? I know I have to upload it to my server where I can view it.. But apparently I can't just save it as a webpage and upload it (I tried before and someone said it wasn't in the correct format :/ ). Not sure if that will help either but just throwing suggestions out there at this point.

Kays

Yah, there's something funky going on if none of the settings combinations work. The thing is that it does work on your live site so it's more a local problem.

When you first set this site up from the database backup, did you run repair_settings.php?. If not do so.

These seem to relate to the issue I'm having. In one of the threads they talk about the .HTACCESS file.. Not sure if that's of any relevance?

Is there any thing pertaining to paths in the .htaccess file at the root of this site. If there is one, try removing it.

how I can save the phpinfo file

A good question. You might be able to highlight the whole page and save it as a .txt document. Or right click on the page, select "View Source", highlight all that, copy it and save as a .html page

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

Tyrsson

During the time when you checked those settings combinations did you clear your browsing history and stored cookies as well (after each change)?? This is very very important as especially IE will cache all kinds of funky stuff and give all kinds of problems.

If iirc your servers php config is by far from default as I think you posted a phpinfo file in another thread *I think*..

Question:
In regards to this virtual machine you are running. Did you install the LAMP package from the Fedora repositories?? If not then why?? If so have you checked the known bugs list for anything to do with the distro's LAMP package having problems with sessions or cookies. The reason I ask is that at one time I know there was a bug in the Debian (I think) sessions management if memory serves.

My point is that this IS a local server issue and as such it really is beyond the scope of support that can be provided here. The reason is that there is so many variables that goes into setting up a server that many times it is just simply impossible to diagnose the issue without having access, which you plainly will not give to a teamie here. Which is ok, but you have to understand that limits us greatly and when it comes down to it, when you start setting up local servers it becomes your learning curve. We have all been there and its a headache I know, but trust me, its worth it.

PM at your own risk, some I answer, if they are interesting, some I ignore.

Advertisement: