News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Upgrading from 1.1.11 to 2.0 RC3?

Started by JoeyD0831, August 12, 2010, 04:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeyD0831

A friend would like his 1.1.11 forum to be 2.0 RC3. What would be the easiest way to do this?

The database (posts/membergroups/permissions/etc) won't be effected by the upgrade correct?

CapadY

Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

JoeyD0831

Yes I know how to do that already.

QuoteThe update package can also be used, but only if you are using a recent version of SMF.

There isn't an update package that goes from 1.1.11 to 2.0 RC3 so would the easiest way be to delete their forums, install 2.0 RC3, and attach their existing database to it?

gbsothere

The RC3 Large Upgrade package will upgrade from 1.1.11 to RC3.  Bear in mind, you will lose any current mods and/or themes.  Just download the Large Upgrade zip, unarchive it, load the files onto your server into their proper directories.  Upload the upgrade.php file and the included sql files into your forum's root and point your browser to the upgrade.php file, to finish your upgrade.  Remove the upgrade.php file when done.  (This will also upgrade your database so that you don't lose posts, etc.)

Before you do this, it's a good idea to make all your directories and files writable by chmodding permissions, generally 755 for directories and 644 for files. 

:)
My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

I Don't Want To Grow Old Alone

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

A reminder about admin / ftp passwords etc.

JoeyD0831

Oh cool, I didn't know the large upgrade worked like that. I assume that there is no different steps I need to take as long as I follow the directions for a normal SMF install?

These are the only files that need to be writable with CHMOD permissions correct?   
    * attachments
    * Packages
    * Packages/installed.list
    * Smileys
    * Themes
    * Themes/default/languages/Install.english.php
    * agreement.txt
    * Settings.php
    * Settings_bak.php
    * install.php

I know how to do all this I just wanted to ask a few questions so I didn't lose my friend's forums into the internet abyss  :P

Thanks all

gbsothere

Quote from: JoeyD0831 on August 12, 2010, 09:11:56 PM
Oh cool, I didn't know the large upgrade worked like that. I assume that there is no different steps I need to take as long as I follow the directions for a normal SMF install?

These are the only files that need to be writable with CHMOD permissions correct?   
    * attachments
    * Packages
    * Packages/installed.list
    * Smileys
    * Themes
    * Themes/default/languages/Install.english.php
    * agreement.txt
    * Settings.php
    * Settings_bak.php
    * install.php

I know how to do all this I just wanted to ask a few questions so I didn't lose my friend's forums into the internet abyss  :P

Thanks all

Offhand, I think those are the right ones.  I'm a bit under the weather so I'm a little slow on the uptake.  *grin*  But if you run into one that needs to be made writable, the upgrade.php process will let you know.  It's just that chmodding before upgrading helps you avoid the dreaded "ftp loop".    ;)
My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

I Don't Want To Grow Old Alone

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

A reminder about admin / ftp passwords etc.

CapadY

Maybe some permissions have to set because there are new permissions in SMF2RC3.

I can't find other unanswered questions so I mark this topic as solved.
Feel free to be back when you have specific questions
Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

Advertisement: