News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Unknowingly muted membergroup

Started by Kolya, August 16, 2010, 06:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kolya

I'd like to create a membergroup that I can assign to trouble makers which will have the consequence that:

- They can still post and their posts appear normally for them.
- No one else can see their posts.

Thus they will be effectively muted, no one will answer them and they lose interest after a while. I highly prefer this method to openly banning people as that only leads to them trying to get in again via proxies and whatnot, which means more work for me.

However this doesn't seem to be possible with SMF 2.0 RC3 and I haven't seen a mod for it either.
Any help would be appreciated.

gbsothere

You know, I was so sure that I'd seen a mod before that did this that, yesterday evening, I literally viewed all 72 pages on the Modifications board, looking for it.   :D

If it was ever a mod; it's gone now, unless my old eyes are just messing with me.  You might post on the Mod Request board, Kolya, and see if someone would be willing to create this.  (Read the top sticky on that board, first.)

Note:  This was actually a feature on a forum I used to be part of.  It was called a "Gag".
My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

I Don't Want To Grow Old Alone

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

A reminder about admin / ftp passwords etc.

Kolya

Thanks for taking the time gbsothere. I might make the request but first I'll see if I can cook something up myself.

gbsothere

Quote from: Kolya on August 18, 2010, 08:47:01 PM
Thanks for taking the time gbsothere. I might make the request but first I'll see if I can cook something up myself.

Kolya, if you're able and achieve it, I encourage you to consider modding it.  It's a great idea!

:) 
My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

I Don't Want To Grow Old Alone

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

A reminder about admin / ftp passwords etc.

Jakob Fel

If that doesn't work out, you could always try out the Annoy User mod or whatever it was called. :P It doesn't mute them from posting, but it annoys the crap out of them. Very funny. ;) It will most likely achieve the same thing you are going for: to make them lose interest.
Freelance writer and advocate for security, privacy & DRM-free distribution
Support and Community Management at SMFNew Free Forum Hosting

Kolya

Actually I want the opposite of annoying the user.

Jakob Fel

Freelance writer and advocate for security, privacy & DRM-free distribution
Support and Community Management at SMFNew Free Forum Hosting

Kolya

I had a look at this and realised I lack the skills to create this modification in a reasonable time-frame. The according mod request can be found here in case you're interested in this type of feature.

Joker™

in the meantime you can use post moderation.
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

How to enable Post Moderation

"For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions." - Laozi

All support seeking PM's get microwaved

Advertisement: