News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Registration problems.

Started by madinmex, August 18, 2010, 03:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madinmex

Sorry if this is a bit long.

I opened a forum about a month ago. I set the registrations at validate and also notify admin. I noticed just recently that the validate was working fine but no 'notify email. was being sent to admin. I wasn't to worried as I check the membership frequently.

Two days ago I opened another, (although still in testing stage at the moment) I had a few problems with some mods, finally sorted that. I then tried alias membership registrations and the same problem as above.

I then decided to install a completely mod free, out of the box installation. Now there is no emails being sent at all, either to validate or notify (me)

I registered directly alias members. Now I can send PM's between the fictitious members no problem.

I have re installed now about 5 times in case there were some dodgy files. (not using the same download) so I cannot see that being the problem.

My thoughts then turn to my host. However I also have an IPB forum which is working perfectly well  with registrations, notifications and PM's etc..

I assume that most forums work on the same principle, ie the emails are actually sent from my host.

I haven't a clue what is going wrong  :(  I have spent many hours trying to find the solution. BTW I have downloaded and installed quite a few SMF forums without any problems.

Just to add that I had from a few errors (in the log) with the first one concerning mods. However this latest (X4) has no mods and no error in the log

Any ideas please ?

If you are not egotistical, you will welcome the opportunity to learn more.

excaliburj

In your SMF Admin Control Panel, could you go to Maintenance -> Mail -> Mail Settings and post what you have set for Mail Type?
Random Sig Line

madinmex

Quote from: excaliburj on August 18, 2010, 04:29:38 PM
In your SMF Admin Control Panel, could you go to Maintenance -> Mail -> Mail Settings and post what you have set for Mail Type?

PHP default..

excaliburj

Do you know whether your IPB Forum uses SMTP for email? That's basically the choice, the php sendmail and SMTP. If the other forum works, but is using SMTP, then that may be what you need to use.
Random Sig Line

madinmex

Quote from: excaliburj on August 18, 2010, 04:51:28 PM
Do you know whether your IPB Forum uses SMTP for email? That's basically the choice, the php sendmail and SMTP. If the other forum works, but is using SMTP, then that may be what you need to use.

IPB =PHP mail ... no problem at all with that one. I'll give it a while then try another download. The strange thing is that I've never had this problem before, plus there is no problem when sending PM's between my fictitious members. BTW thanks for the suggestions 

excaliburj

I was kind of hoping the IPB was set to SMTP and it just meant sendmail wasn't set up right (or for some reason not supported by your host).

PMs within the forum are just message written to database tables. The notifications for them are sent via email, but the PMs themselves aren't.

In Members -> Registrations -> Settings, can you confirm that "Notify administrators when a new member joins" is checked? (Sorry. Gotta ask.)
Random Sig Line

madinmex

Quote from: excaliburj on August 18, 2010, 05:37:01 PM
I was kind of hoping the IPB was set to SMTP and it just meant sendmail wasn't set up right (or for some reason not supported by your host).

PMs within the forum are just message written to database tables. The notifications for them are sent via email, but the PMs themselves aren't.

In Members -> Registrations -> Settings, can you confirm that "Notify administrators when a new member joins" is checked? (Sorry. Gotta ask.)

See what you mean about PM,s however surely the emails are still sent by the host ? Yep I have the notify ticked. Basically I always use the same settings when I install SMF, and over the last few years have installed quite a few but never had this problem. I'm not that technically savvy, but I will try my host just to see if there is a problem there.

excaliburj

Grasping at straws, but are the Owners of the scripts the same between the SMF and IPB?

And is there anything in the server error logs, not the SMF Admin ones, but the ones accessed through cpanel/whm or whatever you use?
Random Sig Line

madinmex

Quote from: excaliburj on August 18, 2010, 06:10:10 PM

Grasping at straws, but are the Owners of the scripts the same between the SMF and IPB?

And is there anything in the server error logs, not the SMF Admin ones, but the ones accessed through cpanel/whm or whatever you use?

Not quite sure about the owners of the scripts. They are two different entities if that's what you mean. The host is the same. The error log within the cpanel has multiple errors but to me they are all a strange language :-)   I have just sent a request to the host explaining the situation and await their answer. Hopefully will not be to long.

excaliburj

As I understand it (and I may not have it fully correct), if your setup includes suPHP, scripts run with the permissions of their owners.

So, if your host uses suPHP and the IPB script owner has access to the sendmail function and the SMF script owner does not...
Random Sig Line

Leppie

Quote from: madinmex on August 18, 2010, 06:42:40 PM
The error log within the cpanel has multiple errors but to me they are all a strange language :-)
could be useful if you posted the errors in your cpanel (remove private data though).

madinmex

These seem to be the two most common errors repeated. Left out any identifying info (I hope)

PHP Fatal error: require_once() [<a href='function.require'>function.require</a>]: Failed opening required '/home1//public_html/admin/sources/base/ipsRegistry.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib64/php:/usr/lib/php:/home1//public_html/ips_kernel/') in /home1//public_html/index.php on line 21 [18-Aug-2010 06:37:52] PHP Warning: require_once(/home1//public_html/admin/sources/base/ipsRegistry.php) [<a href='function.require-once'>function.require-once</a>]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home1//public_html/index.php on line 21

Leppie

Quote from: madinmex on August 18, 2010, 08:49:56 PM

These seem to be the two most common errors repeated. Left out any identifying info (I hope)

PHP Fatal error: require_once() [<a href='function.require'>function.require</a>]: Failed opening required '/home1//public_html/admin/sources/base/ipsRegistry.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib64/php:/usr/lib/php:/home1//public_html/ips_kernel/') in /home1//public_html/index.php on line 21 [18-Aug-2010 06:37:52] PHP Warning: require_once(/home1//public_html/admin/sources/base/ipsRegistry.php) [<a href='function.require-once'>function.require-once</a>]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home1//public_html/index.php on line 21
these are errors caused by ipb, they're not smf related.

madinmex

Quote from: Leppie on August 19, 2010, 04:09:35 AM
Quote from: madinmex on August 18, 2010, 08:49:56 PM

these are errors caused by ipb, they're not smf related.

Thanks Leppie, can see the Ips now! 

The hosts are having a look into it so see what they come up with. Downloaded another version and again the same registration errors. Created 4 fictitious members again and tried Email  (not PM's) this time, between members and no problems at all. Strange. Those errors I posted were almost repetitive on the two days in question so nothing to do with SMF, most others were to do with a separate forum altogether.

Thanks for your help. 

Advertisement: