News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

DISPLAY PROBLEM

Started by Reefer, August 19, 2010, 06:50:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reefer

Hi wonder if someone could help me, point me in the right direction...

Using Default Curve theme, RC3...

Forum's being running fine, suddenly there is an issue with Display when Replying to a post, Quoting a post or using the PM facility.
The text is now suddenly large, the text box is large (off the screen) and the top menus appear vertically instead of horizontally. Only happens when clicking reply, quote or PM...?

I haven't installed any mods recently - could one of the display templates have become corrupt? If so, which one controls these functions?

Appreciate any help? Tx.

gbsothere

Since you've not installed any recent mods...

First try looking at it with different browsers.  If it's only appearing this way in your browser, dump your browser's cache and cookies and relaunch to look at it again.

If it's the same, go to Admin==> Forum Maintenance and empty the cache.

Then let us know if the problem persists.

:)
My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

I Don't Want To Grow Old Alone

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

A reminder about admin / ftp passwords etc.

Reefer

Thanks for your reply.
Ok deleted all caches in browsers and in the Forum Maintenance section.

Set both Browsers to Default settings, but the problem still occurs using IE8 and Google Chrome.
Mozilla Firefox displays correctly...!

Problem is most of my members use IE8...?! What to do?!

gbsothere

There was an RC3 bug related to display issues and IE8, if I remember correctly... 

I'm digging around now to find out if there was a fix.  Someone else looking in may know and post it here.
My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

gbsothere

Try this, Reefer, and see if it makes a difference.

In index.css

find:

/* Posts and personal messages displayed throughout the forum. */
.post, .personalmessage
{
   overflow: auto;
   line-height: 1.4em;
   padding: 0.1em 0;
}

Replace with:

/* Posts and personal messages displayed throughout the forum. */
.post, .personalmessage
{
   overflow: hidden;
   line-height: 1.4em;
   padding: 0.1em 0;
}

Reefer

Will give it a bash - thanks.

AZMazda3

I believe we are having a similar problem with the display regard IE. We are missing text from the postings when viewing in IE, the boxes are wide and appear off screen on some monitors. It looks fine in FF and Google Chrome. We only upgraded to RC1.2 and there are mods. I have attached a picture...but it was not displaying properly.

Reefer

Ok that sorts out the Text box size, but the Text itself and all the Headers are still large... 2 or 3 fonts Zoomed in, and the top menus are still appearing vertically...

gbsothere

Tell you guys what...   I'm not really clear on what all the issues with IE8 and RC3 are, but I do see support moving about the boards and someone will see this.  I'll also post a link to this thread in the support helper's area to bring it to the attention of someone who will know a bit more about it.

;)

Reefer

Thanks gb. Appreciate your time!

AZMazda3

Jakob Fel

As far as I know, the bug mentioned hasn't been fixed yet, so until it is, it may continue to do the same thing for everyone. Unfortunately, I can't suggest anything to help the issue, except for: try to be patient and wait until the bug is fixed. :)

Edit: And by now, since this bug has been found, it probably will be fixed by RC4. ;)
Freelance writer and advocate for security, privacy & DRM-free distribution
Support and Community Management at SMFNew Free Forum Hosting

Reefer

Ok just in case anyone is interested... I worked backwards with my Mod iNstallations, uninstalling and seeing what happens... It seems Smilie limit Mod was the culprit. Uninstalled this and the display is back to normal in all browsers...? Really wierd. But maybe the Developers can have a look at the code of Smilie limit and be pointed in the right direction with display issues in IE8 and Google Chrome.

Jakob Fel

The developers wouldn't be the ones to look over it. The original mod author would need to look at it, and see if they can fix it. Now if the author can't figure it out, they may try to get the help of the Customizer team. Right now, you can actually look through the code of the mod, and see if you can fix it, and maybe contact the original author about it.
Freelance writer and advocate for security, privacy & DRM-free distribution
Support and Community Management at SMFNew Free Forum Hosting

AZMazda3

Quote from: Reefer on August 20, 2010, 02:40:49 PM
Ok just in case anyone is interested... I worked backwards with my Mod iNstallations, uninstalling and seeing what happens... It seems Smilie limit Mod was the culprit. Uninstalled this and the display is back to normal in all browsers...? Really wierd. But maybe the Developers can have a look at the code of Smilie limit and be pointed in the right direction with display issues in IE8 and Google Chrome.

We do not have that mod installed, but thanks for the update!

Kindred

AZMazda3,

unfortunately, bug reports on RC1.2 are mostly useless, since the current version is RC3. If you got the same error after upgrading to RC3, then we would have the devs take a look...     BTW: You **REALLY** should upgrade, since there are known issues (both security and other bugs) with RC 1.2

BTW: Marking this as solved, since the issue appears to have been the smilies mod rather than SMF code.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: