News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

:( URGENT n ASAP :(

Started by NoobDeveloper, August 19, 2010, 03:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoobDeveloper

I m having forum using SMF RC2 and have messed with several files and worst thing is all files on server are deleted.
the only thing i have is latest DATABASE backup of my forum.
how do i do a clean install of latest SMF version ?

gbsothere

It might be better to upgrade, rather than to do a clean install, since your database backup is RC2.

If you were running RC2 (and all those files are deleted) you may want to reupload them first from the RC2 zip before beginning your upgrade to RC3.  (This is speculation on my part, because the Small Update Package intended for those who are moving from RC2 to RC3 may omit some files, since it is a "small update" but I stand to be corrected.  I'm the cautious type.)

After replacing the RC2 files, download the RC3 "Small Update" package.  Open it and upload all the files to your forum's folder, each to its proper directory.  Upload all the included sql files and the upgrade.php to your forum's root and point your browser to upgrade.php to continue the installation.  Make sure your files and directories are writable.   Remove upgrade.php from your server when you are done.
My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

I Don't Want To Grow Old Alone

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

A reminder about admin / ftp passwords etc.

NoobDeveloper

hey thanks. got lucky and managed to fix few errors, now upgraded forum to SMF RC3. however i get many errors at page load.

now the status is : I have SMF RC3 files and database compatible to SMF RC3.

all i want to do now is to have CLEAN SMF RC3 files with same DB as i have now.
what to do ? which one to install ?  Full install , Large upgrade or Small update ?

i dont mind installing few mods again. thanks a lot for u r reply.

gbsothere

Since I'm an easily confused old man, go back and read my last post and, if this isn't how you managed the upgrade. tell me how you did it.

:)
My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

NoobDeveloper

ok...let me state in simple way..
Now i have managed to upgrade to SMF RC3 using webinstall.php (before using webinstall.php , i restored full site backup i had with me)

so now my previous forum SMF RC2 is now SMF RC3.
However i get page load errors.

Now what i want is a CLEAN RC3 files on server and same database.

Once i do this , i will again install all mods.

hope its clear now. plz help thanks again,

gbsothere

Ah...   if you download either the large upgrade zip or the full install zip of RC3, you can simply upload those files to overwrite anything that may be causing the error, if you're satisfied that your upgrade was done correctly.    NOT the Settings.php or Settings_bak.php and you don't have to run the upgrade file, again.

NoobDeveloper

Quote from: gbsothere on August 19, 2010, 04:17:11 PM
Ah...   if you download either the large upgrade zip or the full install zip of RC3, you can simply upload those files to overwrite anything that may be causing the error, if you're satisfied that your upgrade was done correctly.    NOT the Settings.php or Settings_bak.php and you don't have to run the upgrade file, again.

ok i have downloaded "Full install" zip file of SMF RC3.  and all  i need to do is update it to my server except Settings.php or Settings_bak.php

so question is , do i have to run install.php after transfer is over ?

gbsothere

No, if your forum and database are both already RC3, then you're just overwriting the files with fresh ones.  Do be careful though, not to upload the Settings.php and Settings_bak.php from that zip.   :)

You don't even want to upload install.php, just leave it in the zip.

NoobDeveloper

gr8..thanks a lot. will mark as solved after i am done with it.

just wondering , what will happen if i still run install.php ?  , just asking out of curiosity  :)

gbsothere

You'll hear a loud bang and the room will fill with smoke.   :D

Well.......   that file is for a fresh, virgin forum installation and your forum is essentially installed.  You're better off, if uploading fresh files sorts your error, to leave it. 

NoobDeveloper

lol :)

well and what if i am uploading "Large upgrade"

Note : again asking for my knowledge.

thanks.

gbsothere

You're about to push the Red Button, I can tell.   :D

That should be okay, but the upgrade.php essentially affects your database and, if it's already set to RC3, you're probably good with just fresh files.

NoobDeveloper

gbsothere

Advertisement: