News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Just want to change colors.....

Started by jeanineh, August 19, 2010, 04:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeanineh

Ok, I've looked all around and didn't quite see what i was looking for so here goes....(and do be patient as I am very new to this board).  ???

What I have is the 2.0RC3, just installed on a site that hasn't gone live as yet so feeling my way around. All I really want to do is just change the colors up and add a banner up top that is on my site now so it has more of a feel to said site. (I'd settle for just changing the colors up for now!) The color scheme/theme is this one here that you have. I would give you the link but haven't posted enough to do that.

Do I have to go and upload a whole new color theme or package? I'm really wanting to get the feel of everything and get the site up and running with the new board then I can go from there but would like for it to be 'presentable'.  :D

I can do some HtML, etc. but nothing real complicated (just incase I need to go the folder on my web site to do this) Can anyone please help???

Thanks you so much in advance.

gbsothere

Have a look at /Themes/default/index.css to see how colors are shown.  You can experiment around to get things as you want them.

For your banner, Admin==> Current Theme==>  Logo image URL:

Place the URL for your banner there and it should appear.   ;)
My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

I Don't Want To Grow Old Alone

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

A reminder about admin / ftp passwords etc.

jeanineh

Well I thank you for that info, have the logo taken care of for now but, errrrrrrr, not sure if I can figure out the " /Themes/default/index.css ", I think I found the right area but there is soooo much in there and not sure exactly what I am looking for as I don't know what is called what as far as coding??

I'm wanting to make most of the blueish areas Black with text white. If I knew what code I was looking for I think I could do it? But I do appreciate your help.

gbsothere

Just to make sure, since I don't want to assume anything, this is for Curve, right?  :)
My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

jeanineh

gbsothere

Well, I tell ya, Jeanine....   I really haven't mucked about with customizing Curve yet, although many here can do it in their sleep.  *grin*  On my 1.1.11 active forums, I've actually been able to achieve a pull down in the user-info area so that my members can instantly pick one of a ton of colors and *bam* the forum's suddenly a different color, all without changing themes.  But, as I said, I've not played around with Curve.  If you have a text editor, like Notepad, that allows you to search for things, then, on your server, in your forum's directory, you'll find in .../Themes/default/css a file called index.css.  Do a search, for instance, for "backdrop.png" and you'll see where that image is located.  Right-click on the dark blue portion of Curve that gradually fades and select "View Background Image" and you'll see what backdrop.png actually looks like.  You can use Photoshop to change that image to black and you're started on changing your color.  A lot of areas on Curve are images.  Just right-click around and discover what is an image and what is simply color.  Another tip is to copy the different color codes you see in index.css and paste them into a site like this:

http://www.colorcombos.com/FFCC99-hex-color

(Replace the code you already see there; that's just how it was saved when I bookmarked it.)  The color will instantly change and by comparing it to your forum, you can begin to tell where it's used and can replace the color code in your index.css with the code for the color you want.   :)

I know it sounds complicated.  It would be great if you had a test site, besides your live forum, to play with it.

As I said, I've not mucked around with Curve, yet, but don't worry.  Several of our more artistic members love threads like this and they'll be happy to jump in and point you in the right direction.

jeanineh

Well as I said before, thanks for all your help and I will give what you said a try. I think once I can get all the codes figured out as to what's what I'll be ok. I have another board on my other site that I can breeze right through all the codes etc. but seems no two boards code alike! Just have to get over this hurdle. And if anyone else can give me some input it would be much appreciated.

Thanks again for the help.

gbsothere

Just a little note on my way to relax, get sleepy and go turn in...

The colors aren't big edits, Jeanine.  For instance, if you found #FFFFFF  (which would be white) in the index.css and you wanted it to be black, you'd just change #FFFFFF to #000000.  That's all.  The image names would stay the same, you'd just upload the re-colored ones to replace the originals (keeping the image name the same).

Others will weigh in here, for you, as well.  ;)

jeanineh

Thanks and I'm going to try and tackle that this morning, I think my eyes have 'uncrossed'.  ;D

I'm wondering though, does anyone here have a simple black and white theme? Just trying to keep it simple to match up with my web site and throw in a little splash of color with the banner. Now if I could figure out how to get my Sunflower up at the top too, that would be nice.  :)

One more quick question while I'm bugging everyone here. How do you make the text larger as to the 'slogan' and title of board? Is there a way?

Thanks again....

Kill Em All

Sorry for the delayed response back.

For the forum title, look for "h1.forumtitle" in your index.css.

For the Slogan, look for "#siteslogan, img#smflogo {" in your index.css. You will probably have to add a font-size entry there.

Let us know if you need any further assistance with this. :)

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

Advertisement: