Clone one forum setting and theme for another forum?

Started by immalex, August 19, 2010, 11:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

immalex

So i am running the latest beta version of SMF (SMF2.0 RC3), and am loving it!!
Is it possible to clone forum1 settings and theme for forum2, forum3, and forum4 use?
Because i will be building many and many forums that will be based on forum1 setting and theme.

Please let me know if theres a easy way. Thanks in advance.

Jakob Fel

I don't believe there is a way to do this, even with a mod. I may be wrong though.
Freelance writer and advocate for security, privacy & DRM-free distribution
Support and Community Management at SMFNew Free Forum Hosting

immalex

:/// no other way?
Can someone please think of a way for it, I will much appreciate it because it will save me tremendous amount of time

Thanks in advance again.

Oranos

Well, you could just back up the database of forum1, then restore the database of forum1 to all your other forums. After that, run repair_settings.php on all of your forums and this will fix all of the paths that would likely be incorrect. This would give you pretty much a clone of forum1

What is repair_settings.php?

immalex

Quote from: Oranos on August 20, 2010, 07:48:32 AM
Well, you could just back up the database of forum1, then restore the database of forum1 to all your other forums. After that, run repair_settings.php on all of your forums and this will fix all of the paths that would likely be incorrect. This would give you pretty much a clone of forum1

What is repair_settings.php?
That sounds great. But will it import forum1 post and members also? Because I do not want that, I just want the look and setting

Oranos

in that case just export these tables:

membergroups (If you want the same membergroups)
permissions
permission_profiles
pm_rules
settings

Make sure you install all the themes you have installed on forum1

immalex

Quote from: Oranos on August 20, 2010, 08:01:39 AM
in that case just export these tables:

membergroups (If you want the same membergroups)
permissions
permission_profiles
pm_rules
settings

Make sure you install all the themes you have installed on forum1
can i do that in smf admin panel or do i have to do it over phpMyAdmin?
btw, thanks a lot for the quick and informative reply!!

CapadY

First make a complete copy of your current forum by uploading all the files and making a DB backup.

Install this on a local machine.
Delete all topics and posts from this local forum

Make a copy again from this local and the local database

Now you can follow the instructions Oranos gave to restore it.
Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

CapadY

I'll leave this to Oranos.
I'm glad to see him again ;)
Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

Oranos

I'd say the above is more complicated than necessary. Simply use phpmyadmin to back up the above mentioned tables, then import those tables to the other forums. I did forget to mention to back up your databases before importing. That is CRUCIAL in case something goes wrong.

Quote from: capady on August 20, 2010, 08:11:37 AM
I'm glad to see him again ;)

immalex

one last question :P
how about the mods that i installed in forum1? will they be over to forum2 3,4, and 5 by the step you suggested?

Oranos

No, but if you copy the ./Packages folder from forum1 to the others, they will be there, and you can install them.

immalex

Thanks again.. let me mark it as solved.
you are the best Oranos!!

immalex

sorry to bother again. but its not quite working right.
So, i copied the theme(zipped) from forum1 to forum2(extracted).
Installed theme through admin panel, but its giving me this error when i visit the forum

Template Parse Error!
There was a problem loading the /Themes/default/Compat.template.php template or language file. Please check the syntax and try again - remember, single quotes (') often have to be escaped with a slash (\). To see more specific error information from PHP, try accessing the file directly.

You may want to try to refresh this page or use the default theme.

Oranos

You should have uploaded the theme's package via the theme installer in the admin panel...Although if it's for the default template, you shouldn't have copied that at all. Can you restore the theme back to how it was?

Advertisement: