Unable to connect to news file

Started by Kratty256, August 21, 2010, 02:03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kratty256

I currently have 2 forums using SMF on the same server. I recently just added another one (pncguild.net) and when I go to admin it has the text:
You are unable to connect to simplemachines.org's latest news file.

Under "Live from Simple Machines..."

I've read some other topics, and I have disabled "Enable compressed output" but it's still not working...

Any help?

xenovanis

Unfortunately, there could be a number of issues causing this, like:
- Javascript not enabled
- Wrong path and url settings
- Serverconfiguration not allowing you to download from external sites

Can you install packages from the server from Simplemachines?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Kratty256

No, when I go to the Package Manager and look under the Latest Packages it stays on: Attempting to fetch the most popular and recent packages from www.simplemachines.org...

The page will even say it's done loading but it stays there.

xenovanis

Maybe ask your host if he's blocking something?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Kratty256

As I said I currently I host 2 sites on the same host and on the other one it works just fine.

Kill Em All

Check to make sure they are using the same exact php.ini.

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

Kratty256

Admin says there is only one php.ini file.

He suggested that I reinstall SMF but I'd rather not. This site is very active, reinstalling is the very last thing I would want to do in this case. Any other suggestions?

Kill Em All

Your host hasn't made any server changes or anything?

Just for grins, try using this:
What is repair_settings.php?

Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

Kratty256

Okay I read a previous topic for a similar issue and it said something about phpinfo.php. Here is the phpinfo.php link for both websites:

http://pncguild.net/phpinfo.php
http://thepitstopforum.net/phpinfo.php

Kill Em All

I see nothing out of the ordinary with them and they do seem to be the same exact thing. Two things, one have you tried clearing your browsers cookies and cache and then trying the site that hasn't been working. Second, are there any mod differences between the two sites, or theme?

Kratty256

I clear my browsers cache on a daily basis so that's a yes on the first part. Second, yes, there are many different mods on both sites. Screenshots:
pnc:

tps:

I did notice in the error log for pnc I am NUMEROUS errors in Security.php and Subs.php, I will attach both of them.

Here are the errors:

These errors occur on every action.

No errors on the TPS one, only PNC.

EDIT: Just tried repair_settings.php and changed everything to the recommended value. Still no change.

Kill Em All

Try uninstalling admin notepad possibly.... I'm not sure why you are getting some of those errors, your Subs.php looks fine from what I can tell.

KensonPlays

I would remove the phpinfo, hackers can use this...

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

Kill Em All

Quote from: Kcmartz on September 03, 2010, 11:58:37 PM
I would remove the phpinfo, hackers can use this...
I wouldn't honestly worry about that to much... not a big deal to leave it up, you can remove it if you want, but it really doesn't matter.

Kratty256

I attempted a full uninstall and install of SMF and still nothing was fixed!

Kill Em All

Thats strange, does your host limit how many outgoing and incoming connections your webhosting account can make at once?

Do you happen to have "Enable compressed output" tick? If so, try unticking it. That might be causing an issue too.

Kratty256

Quote from: Kill Em All on September 04, 2010, 05:54:48 PM
Thats strange, does your host limit how many outgoing and incoming connections your webhosting account can make at once?

Not sure about that, I will ask them, but it is a good possibility.

EDIT:

He said I am not limited to any connections on his part, but it could possibly be apache, but that is out of his control.

Quote from: Kill Em All on September 04, 2010, 05:54:48 PM
Do you happen to have "Enable compressed output" tick? If so, try unticking it. That might be causing an issue too.

It was checked, now it is unchecked. Still no difference.

Kill Em All

Let us know what they say. Is that all that is in your error log?

Try going into Admin>Maintenance>Scheduled Tasks>Fetch Simple Machines Files>run that

Kratty256

Exact same errors are occuring that are in a previous post.

There is nothing on the Scheduled Tasks page, at all.

Kill Em All

Try looking at the page using the default theme.

Advertisement: