Install this or 1.1.11

Started by ian_m, August 21, 2010, 06:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ian_m

Hello all

Sorry if this has been asked many times before but I cant find a really positive answer, I downloaded the latest stable release installed it locally with the intention of doing a few changes to get it ready to install on alive site and while reading a few docs noticed there is an update of 2x which seems to be pretty close to being ready but seems to be quite an upgrade on the core.

My question is is the latest RC OK for a live site, I dont want to spend hours changing the 1.1.11 version only to find I need to update to the 2x version a week later.

If the answer is no don't install the 2x RC yet then will the webinstall script run the whole update I must confess I have not searched for the answer to this yet.

Wonder if someone can give me a shove in the right direction.

Thanks Ian

Oranos

Well there are plenty of sites that are using RC3 live. I wouldn't say it's something to worry about using it live. The problem is when the gold version is released, or even RC4, or another RC, you will need to run a large upgrade on your forum to upgrade from one RC to the next RC (RC3 to RC4 for example) or to upgrade from an RC to the gold version. What this means is that you will need to re-install all your mods each time you do so. Then again, if you upgrade from 1.1 to 2.0 later you will face this same problem, and what's worse, some of the mods for 1.1 don't work on 2.0, so you might need to drop that feature from your site. My personal opinion is to just use 2.0. However you will need to take the above into account and decide for yourself.

As for the webinstall. I'm not really sure. I've never gotten the web installer to work. Quick search shows not many people get it to work either. It's more of a server thing, but it's quite rare...

ian_m

Thanks for the super quick response,

I think i will run with the RC3 release but only change the style of the site and just upgrade when needed then work on MODS once a full stable release is out.

Thanks for that

Oranos

Do note, if you make custom edits to any of the source files, or any file in the included themes (i.e. not custom themes) then write these edits down because upgrading will overwrite these edits.

ian_m

Yes sure will, I must confess to not checking out the docs on styling but my plan without any research is to copy the default theme give teh new copied folder a new name install that then start to modify that, been a few years since a played around with forum styling but thats my thoughts without any research I am sre I will be posting back over the coming days with whats went wrong topics :D

CHeers

xrunner

I asked the same question a while back and went ahead and upgraded my live forum to 2.0 RC3. I haven't experienced any serious issues yet. I'd say it's good to go.

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Is this issue resolved? Do you need any further assistance with this?

Advertisement: