News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Lesser Admin

Started by Shadow, December 26, 2003, 07:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow

I'd like a permission setting that allows for a lesser admin. This admin can do anything except touch the accounts of the full admins.
The reason I ask this is I'm working on getting a single member database over a number of boards (all on the same server, so very easy database wise), but I'd like them to have their own admins and such, and then have a global admin. So, the admins to specific boards would be able to visit others and not be admins there, but then go back to theirs and would have their powers.
Just do it, go Charter! [Unknown] offered me a spot on the dev team! I swear it!

"Sup foos'! I'm Marshie! Capital M and then arshie! I'm going this way!!!"

Grudge

By many boards do you mean many installs of the software or just many boards?

If worst comes to worst you could always hard code it in. Make a new memberGroup called super admin and give it admin rights. Find out the ID number of the group using phpmyadmin and then in areas you don't want normal admins to touch super admins(like editing profiles) Put a line at the top of the "saveprofilechanges" function saying something like:

if ($profile['member']['memberGroup'] == 8)
fatal_error("CANNOT DO THIS");

(8 would be the superadmin member group in this example)

Thats pseudo but it's relatively simple. I only say this to assist as I personally can't imagine this getting in any time very soon. Of course you could make the "admins" global mods with a few more permissions ???
I'm only a half geek really...

Shadow

I mean multiple installs of the software. Anyways, as for the global mods with the extra permissions, I thought about just making  a new membergroup, but they cannot change someone's membergroup, so yeah. And as for the new membergroup, as far as I can tell I can't make a new membergroup an admin, if I could that would solve all my problems (in fact, that's what I'm asking for).
Just do it, go Charter! [Unknown] offered me a spot on the dev team! I swear it!

[Unknown]

You can make a new group and give them *almost* all the /permissions/ of an administrator....

-[Unknown]

Shadow

The main thing I need is for the person to be able to group another member, that's really the only thing I can't allow a membergroup to do that I want it to do.

[Unknown]

Hmm... that would take a bit of doing, because you don't want them to be able to de-admin you, etc.  (even by accident)

-[Unknown]

Shadow

Yeah... that's what I was thinking about too.

Tyris

common answer is "dont give em the power if you dont trust em"... but I can still see the use of this... however, given that you have phpMyAdmin access... you could always undo the situation easily enough...

Shadow

This is for Group 3, Colorado Wing, Civil Air Patrol, so the hope is that it would continue on after I've gone. As much as I'd like to pick and choose, I just can't do that. Anyways, yeah.

Tyris

fair enough... surely no problem to do as a mod package... if not a release feature...

Advertisement: