News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

External links increase my server transfer

Started by diwit, August 25, 2010, 11:49:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diwit

Hello.

I have SMF 2.0 RC3 installed on a payment hosting, and my problem is that when users post a link to an image hosted on an external server, the transfer of my server increases, as if it makes a cached copy of the images or something weird.

the problem is that a cheap hosting would allowing me enough monthly transfer to host the forum, but now I am over 100 GB / month transfer, and this is due to this problem, because there are not so many views in the forum pages to reach those transfer rates.

anyone has any idea on how I can fix this?

thanks, greetings

TheListener

Who is your host?

Also do you resize the images so they don't take up half a page (an example).

Oya

when images are linked they are downloaded to your server to see how big they are

diwit

thanks, the forum is hxxp:www.badaspain.com [nonactive]

i don't believe that a simple forum with 2.000 users takes that huge bandwith per month...

Quote from: Oya on August 25, 2010, 07:45:32 PM
when images are linked they are downloaded to your server to see how big they are
is that true?? there is any way to disable that??

regards

Oya

they are only linked if they are put in img tags, and that can be changed from admin - features and options - layout - max width/height of posted pictures

diwit

Quote from: Oya on August 26, 2010, 09:31:21 AM
they are only linked if they are put in img tags, and that can be changed from admin - features and options - layout - max width/height of posted pictures

but with that settings, the only thing i avoid is users from posting large images, isn't that right??

regards

Oya

yes but the only way smf knows its a large image is by downloading it

it cant fix large images if it doesnt download them to know how big it is

but yeah if you turn that off users can post big images

Advertisement: