News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Double Install? Also fresh install help.

Started by fox0r, August 28, 2010, 09:27:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox0r

At least that is the best way I can think to describe it.

What I need to do:
Keep current forum up and running while doing the following --

Fresh install (possibly in a different directory).
Reinstalling mods and installing new mods.
Installing a portal system.

Could I have a double install of the same forum board, using the same databases, in different directories?

If I can't do both, I can just slap it in maintenance mode and work on a fresh install.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions on how I can fresh install without losing data?  We're at the point where we have mods on top of mods and it's just garbled and nasty.  I've only ever imported from phpBB (to switch to SMF to start with) and updated.... so I'm not entirely sure how to go about a fresh install.

Thanks.

IceXaos

You could try just making a copy of the current directory, and running the settings updater or whatever they call it.

fox0r

Kill Em All

Just move all the SMF files and folders to a new directory of your choosing, you can probably use cpanel file manager for that. Then just upload the large upgrade package minus the upgrade.php and sql data files. That will give you a fresh set a forum files.

Installing portal system is just like installing a mod.

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

fox0r

Quote from: Kill Em All on August 30, 2010, 07:34:18 PM
Just move all the SMF files and folders to a new directory of your choosing, you can probably use cpanel file manager for that. Then just upload the large upgrade package minus the upgrade.php and sql data files. That will give you a fresh set a forum files.

Installing portal system is just like installing a mod.

I don't have CPanel.  And I've installed TinyPortal before.  I was mainly concerned with the moving of the forum, and the wiping of files.

Thanks!

Kill Em All

Ah, you can use FTP too then. Little harder imo, but you can still do it that way.

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

Advertisement: