Get to know the team: gbsothere

Started by gbsothere, October 02, 2010, 02:34:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gbsothere

Disclaimer:  I took the lazy route, I'm afraid, and recycled an old "get to know" form I used on the Charter board, with minimal updating.

Name: Gid
Quote: "What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?"
Forum URL: I have several.

• Do you have pets?
All that's left is an old cat who won't go away.
  • What is your favorite color?
Depends on what we're talking about.  I like green but not on bread.  I like blue but not on any of my extremities. 
  • What kind of music do you like?
I'm old, so... Classic Rock.  Classical.  Folk, Jazz, Blues, Blue Grass, some Country, Alternative, Americana, etc.
  • What do you do in your free time besides spending time on SMF?
I'm retired, now, so besides keeping tabs on my forums, I hike, fish, read, do a little writing.  Used to do a bit of climbing but I'm losing my nerve.  *grin*  I dabble with a bit of poetry and prose, which, somehow, relates to the upcoming question "Do you drink?", since one is the direct result of the other.
  • What are your goals/dreams in life?
I'm a new (Grand)Pappy.  I want to be good at it.
  • What got you involved in SMF?
I chanced upon it, researching forum software when I wanted to create a place for some old friends to stay in touch.  You see, I really am just a run-of-the-mill "forum owner".  It's not just some self-deprecating statement of protest I make when something's over my head (and most things are).
  • Who do you admire? Why?
*thinking*  Brett Favre.  Tom Petty.  Robert DuVall.  Douglas Adams (RIP)...  and others.  (They all honed their particular skills to excellence.)  I suppose I should have tried to impress you by saying Gandhi or Mother Teresa; it would have made me sound more profound. 
  • Are you into sports?  If so which ones?
I like NFL football and college football.  I can enjoy other sports, i.e., baseball, basketball, etc., but not to the same degree.
  • What is your dream job?
I retired from my dream job.  (It was music-related and now I'm done.)
  • What was your first screenname?
(I'd rather Google didn't pick that up, here.)  *grin*
  • Do you have any piercings?
No.
  • Are you a lefty/righty or ambidextrous?
Right-handed for most things.
  • Do you have any tattoo's?  If not do you wish/plan to get one?
One.
  • Do you have any siblings?  If so, how many of each?
I have a brother.
  • What is your favorite website?
Hard to say.  I like RatherGood.com when I'm in a weird mood. I do enjoy ghosting around on this site; I try to learn something by gleaning through old support threads.
  • Do you play computer games?  If so, which ones?
I dawdle around with a few online games, but they're of the card/puzzle/word/strategy variety.  I play them idly and absentmindedly, while dialing down.
  • Do you play video game consoles?  Which ones?
Wii, when my son comes over and bullies me into it.
  • Are you married or planning to get married?
I finally went down the aisle in my old age. 
  • If so do you have any kids?
Yes.
  • How many kids?
One.  He's my buddy, the father of my granddaughter and a hell of a drummer.
  • How many languages do you speak?  If so which ones?
Mainly English.  Anything else gets me by as a tourist.
  • Do you drink?
Scotch.
  • Do you smoke?
Pipe.
  • Did you play hookey from class?
Oh, my, school.... I vaguely seem to remember that I did attend school.  *grin*  I'm sure I must have played hookey; everyone did.
  • Do you have a license?
Yes; driving, fishing, hunting...
  • Do you own a car?
Yes, several.
  • Have you ever been stopped for speeding?
I'm afraid so.
  • Do you obtain a good amount of sleep daily?
No, and the older I get, the bigger an issue it becomes.
  • How do you sleep?
How?  I start out on my back...  *grin*  Is that what this means?
  • Have you ever been on an airplane?
Yes.
  • Have you ever broken a bone?
Yes.
  • Do you wear jewelry?  If so what jewelry do you wear?
Not since I retired; back then, the occasional pair of cufflinks or pocket watch.  I'm sans-jewelry, now, with the exception of a wedding band.
  • How do you dress?
Happily, now, in jeans or sweats.  I literally put my ties into a shredder. (I made quite a ceremony out of it.)
  • How many keys are on your keyring?
Eight
  • What time do you go to bed?  What time do you wake up?
I promised the doc I'd try to turn in by 10:00 PM, but I lied.  I'm up around 6:00.
  • What's the freakiest thing you have done?
Freaky?  Well... I pretended to be a narcotics agent once in Nashville, when I got caught in a place late at night where I wasn't supposed to be.  I flashed a "badge" and demanded to know why the person questioning me was there.  I must have been convincing; he backed down and left.  (Not exactly "freaky"...)
  • Do you live alone?
No.
  • How many hours a day do you spend in the computer?
I still have a few things I haven't retired from that require me to spend a few hours in the mornings and I confess, I linger, when that's done.
  • How many hours a day do you spend in SMF?
Not as many as I'd like, but I enjoy catching up when I'm here.
  • What is your favorite beverage - coffee, tea, soda, beer, other?
Scotch (Bowmore, Balvenie, so on and so forth).  I do drink a lot of coffee and tea (since that's on the list of suggestions). One must.
  • What do you hate?
Noise. Crowds.  Traffic.  Television commercials.  Boom boxes.
  • What do you love?
My new grandchild.  *grin*  Literature. Wildflowers (don't laugh). A fire in Winter, the clicking of my grandfather clock, a musty old book and my pipe. 
  • What is your religion?
Protestant, I suppose.
  • What is your hair color?
It was dark, but I'm graying at an alarming rate.
  • How tall are you?
6 ft.
  • How much do you weigh?
175 lbs.
  • What's the feature on SMF you can't live without?

• As an administrator?
As an admin, I like the fact that SMF makes me look smarter (to my users) than I actually am. 
  • As an end user?
I like the ease of navigation and a fairly consistent performance.

• If you had 2 things to change about yourself, what would they be?
My temper and my foul mouth.  I want to work on that before my little granddaughter realizes that Pappy is a jerk.
  • If you had one thing to change about the world, what would it be?
I wish that, in general, the world (it's populace) was not so overly sensitive.  It seems that so many look for reasons to be offended.  I wish we all had tougher skins and stopped demanding that everyone else censor their thoughts and expressions to accommodate us.
My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

I Don't Want To Grow Old Alone

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

A reminder about admin / ftp passwords etc.

Robert.

Nice to know you. :) Do you laik cookiez? :D

Kill Em All

Quote from: gbsothere on October 02, 2010, 02:34:35 PM
If you had one thing to change about the world, what would it be? I wish that, in general, the world (it's populace) was not so overly sensitive.  It seems that so many look for reasons to be offended.  I wish we all had tougher skins and stopped demanding that everyone else censor their thoughts and expressions to accommodate us.
You sir are my hero.

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

DoctorMalboro

It's odd... my grandmother (R.I.P.) was able to sleep like 10 hours, and most people from her same age didn't sleep more than 4.

Nice to see you in the team. ;)

Joshua Dickerson

You're from Nashville and listen to some country? Isn't that sacrilege?

NFL team? NCAA team?
Come work with me at Promenade Group

Need help? See the wiki. Want to help SMF? See the wiki!

Did you know you can help develop SMF? See us on Github.

How have you bettered the world today?

Deaks

whats your favorite scotch in the following moods:

Drunk:
Tipsy:
Happy:
Sad:
Lazy:

Have you tried Irn-Bru?
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

gbsothere

Quote from: Runic on October 02, 2010, 06:01:43 PM
whats your favorite scotch in the following moods:

Drunk:
Tipsy:
Happy:
Sad:
Lazy:

Have you tried Irn-Bru?

Drunk:

I don't usually get drunk, just nicely buzzed, but on those occasions when I decide to drink with an agenda, the "Glens":  Glenfiddich, Glenlivet, Glenmorangie.  Well, wait....  I'll add Macallan to the "get me drunk and step on it" list.  A little "winey" but it works.

Tipsy:
Happy:
Sad:
Lazy:

I combined those because I have an arsenal that works for all of them.  *grin*  I lean primarily toward Balvenie and Bowmore but, if I were forced to choose between them, probably Balvenie.  It's a mood thing, though, I suppose. If I have Bowmore Darkest, I like that. I like to take my time with Scotch, in general, so even the "tipsy" thing comes just before I recognize the need to go horizontal. 

I can't get it around here, but I once had some Laphroaig that was very nice.  Nice enough to remember.  I like "peaty" but not too much.  This was just right without going over the top.

No Irn-Bru, I'm afraid. 

;)

@ groundup

I spent a lot of years in Los Angeles before coming here, so even though I've had to listen to it all, I'm not as appreciative of "honky tonk" Country as some.  *grin*  But much of it I quite like. 

NFL:  Well, I'm a Brett Favre fan, and happy to admit it.  Getting that out of the way, the list is shorter for teams I don't care for.  I'm not an Oakland fan, a Patriots fan or a Cowboys fan.  NCAA:  Well, I love the NCAA and those kids play for free, so it's hard not to like them.  I'm not crazy about some of the Florida teams, mainly because the media shoves them in my face, all the time.  I'm not a big USC fan.  I'm not a Razorback fan.  (I'm probably making some enemies here.)   :D

@ DoctorMarlboro, thanks, so much!

@ Tah Zonemaster, I'm a big fan of "All Thingz Cookiez"! 

*high-fiving Kill Em All*
;)

My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

Deaks

Glenlivet 18 yr was nicest ive tried tried a 1890 Cellar Glenlivet and OMFG it was amazing but at 60k a bottle slightly outta my range
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

gbsothere

Quote from: Runic on October 02, 2010, 06:44:16 PM
Glenlivet 18 yr was nicest ive tried tried a 1890 Cellar Glenlivet and OMFG it was amazing but at 60k a bottle slightly outta my range

*laughing*

I hate I missed that! 

Kindred

glenlivet? Really?

I like Oban, Macallan and Lagavulin.... I find the glenlivet bottles to be rather lacking in "character" for a scotch.

of course, a scotch that old probably doesn't have that flaw. :)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

gbsothere

Quote from: Kindred on October 02, 2010, 09:57:10 PM
glenlivet? Really?

I like Oban, Macallan and Lagavulin.... I find the glenlivet bottles to be rather lacking in "character" for a scotch.

of course, a scotch that old probably doesn't have that flaw. :)

That's why I put it in the "Drunk" category.   :D

DoctorMalboro

I like whatever the store sell me to drink :P

Kindred

nah.... if you're going to do anything, make it worth doing. 

I am a food and drink snob.... :)   I'll actually turn down the offer of drinks like Budweiser (shudder)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

DoctorMalboro

But i'm underage... so i can't get drinks quite easily... :P

Acans

Quote from: DoctorMalboro on October 02, 2010, 11:43:13 PM
But i'm underage... so i can't get drinks quite easily... :P

Grow a beard, 2 pubs and 1 whole-seller didn't ask for my id while I was 17.
"The Book of Arantor, 17:3-5
  And I said unto him, thy database query shalt always be sent by the messenger of $smcFunc
  And $smcFunc shall protect you against injections and evil
  And so it came to pass that mysql_query was declared deprecated and even though he says he is not
  dead yet, the time was soon to come to pass when mysql_query shall be gone and no more

Advertisement: