News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

News & Newsletters Feature - What is it?

Started by PenelopeQ, September 05, 2010, 01:57:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PenelopeQ

Under the Main heading in the Administration Center is the topic News and Newsletters. Can anyone tell me about this feature? How do I use it?

I thought I would test it with the sample Welcome! that was in the text box, so I selected the check box, but when I clicked save and it refreshed, it came back unselected.

vbgamer45

Are you using just the news feature?
The news feature adds a list of news items on the header of your board that are rotated or if you have news fader enabled will appear below the menu.

The newsletter feature allows you to send a mass email/pm to all your users on your forum.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

PenelopeQ

I'm not using either as I am at this point just curious as to waht they are and how they work.

But I am more interested in the News feature, as I already have a Newsletter.

I was wondering if the News feature might be a simple way for me to put whether I'm away on vacation or not.

PenelopeQ

Quote from: vbgamer45 on September 05, 2010, 02:03:04 PMThe news feature adds a list of news items on the header of your board that are rotated or if you have news fader enabled will appear below the menu.
So how do I enable the feature--either form of it?

gbsothere

News and Newsletters are actually two different features, Penelope.   :)

When you click the News and Newsletters link you are first taken to the "News" field.  This is where you can type in a small announcement that will show on your board.  If you have more than once announcement (some use this to post TV show dates and times, football scores, just odd bits and pieces) then click "Click here to add another item".  To get the news to "rotate" or "Fade" go to Admin--> Current Theme and, over on the right, find and click "Show News Fader On Board Index".  When you return to your main board, the "News" will slowly fade from one announcement to the next.

For Newsletters  (Admin-----> News and Newsletters) click the Newsletter tab.  Here, you can either send out a banket "email" to all the members whose membergroups are checked or you can send your announcement as a mass PM.  If you do not check to send as a PM, then click "Next" and it will send as an email.

:)

(The "Enable News" setting is also found at Admin---> Current Themes, over on the right.)
My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

I Don't Want To Grow Old Alone

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

A reminder about admin / ftp passwords etc.

Advertisement: