News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Announcements Issue

Started by Bobn, September 06, 2010, 03:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobn

Hello,

I use announce topic quite often when there is something important to get out. It has been working sort of ok but I do get some bounce backs. Its a bands forum with about 25 members. I just added a gmail account thinking that would fix it but it made it worse.  Any suggestions?

vbgamer45

What kind of bounce backs are you getting? Like a blacklist issue or sending to fast?
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Bobn

Just says permanent error. Since I changed it to a g mail account nothing goes now.

Bobn

Yea now I cant announce a topic at all.. Anybody?

rd

Does all the mail get bounced back?

If not then it can be the users problem, maybe your members placed wrong Emails?

Bobn

Quote from: Royalduke on September 06, 2010, 05:15:08 PM
Does all the mail get bounced back?

If not then it can be the users problem, maybe your members placed wrong Emails?

All from a specific server triad.rr.com

I wonder if the php mailer is at fault. Any other options?   

rd

So the announcement bounces off Time Warner Email holders only?

Bobn

Quote from: Royalduke on September 06, 2010, 05:30:57 PM
So the announcement bounces off Time Warner Email holders only?

Yes when it  was working

rd

So it doesn't work at all now?

Bobn

Quote from: Royalduke on September 06, 2010, 05:48:34 PM
So it doesn't work at all now?

Apparently not,, I changed it to a gmail account and it stopped.

Bobn

Is there any other mail type system I can use? It has Smtp,, wonder if I can use one of my mail servers there instead of the php mail form?

rd

Yes, I believe SMF support SMTP but I'm not familiar with it. Maybe someone who is can help you out :)

Bobn

Quote from: Royalduke on September 06, 2010, 06:59:25 PM
Yes, I believe SMF support SMTP but I'm not familiar with it. Maybe someone who is can help you out :)

Thanks,

I cleared the cache and set it back to php mail and it works but,, roadrunner emails still bounce :(

Bobn

So if I use my host email [email protected] as the webmasters email it works but bounces from all Road Runner emails. 18 out of 25 in our band use dag gone RR emails :(

I tried to use a gmail account as the webmasters email but it does not send I guess cause NOBODY receives any. The announcement thing is very important to us.

rd

Contact Time Warner, tell them that the Emails are bouncing off from your host's server, maybe they have it blocked or something O.O

Bobn

Contacting Time Warner is like waiting for water to boil.

I have tried to set up a gmail account (that I know works) as the forum default but it wont send. I dont get any errors and it seems to go but nobody gets it.

Then I tried to set up gmail as an smtp and it never worked at all.

xenovanis

Hi Bobn, sorry for the late reply.

For setting up a gmail account to use with SMF, see the guide here:
[TIP GUIDE] Setting up a gmail account on SMF
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

archiebald

Quote from: Bobn on September 11, 2010, 11:11:54 PM
Contacting Time Warner is like waiting for water to boil.

I have tried to set up a gmail account (that I know works) as the forum default but it wont send. I dont get any errors and it seems to go but nobody gets it.

You will never be able to use a gmail account for mailing in this way.  I tried recently and consistently had them blocking my IP assuming it was spam.

Then I tried to set up gmail as an smtp and it never worked at all.

Advertisement: