switching domains or multi-domain help (and a spider question too)

Started by soaringeagle, September 06, 2010, 10:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soaringeagle

i was moving 2 sites to a new server off the ning network
i had 4 domains on each site
so what i did was move 1 domain from each site  set up smf on the new domain, then moved over the other domain aliased
now here's where i ran into issues

site 1 2 domains are hxxp:greentechnologyforums.com [nonactive] hxxp:greentechnologiesforums.com [nonactive]
i set smf up on the technologies version although i had hoped to use technology as primary it didn't make too much difference. so i just redirected the 1 to the other

now site 2 was giving me more trouble hxxp:legalisecannabis.org [nonactive] was the site i set up smf on
legalizecannabis.ws is the one i want to use as primary domain
now i changed it in the database paths so that changed all the menu links ..but..not the forum board links
so when the .org was redirected to .ws all forum boards and posts became unusable

is there a way to fix this
i ended up temporarily setting the forum path back to the .org and redirecting the .ws to that but its not really what i want

and the spider question
it seems all search bots go straight for the calendar or gallery, ignoring the forums all together even though i set the priority high in the sitemap for the forum and very low for calendar
the bots are constantly in the calendar and nowhere else on site
that's on both sites i realize the 1 site they maybe couldn't access the forums due to the wrong domain being linked

i did disallow the calendar for 24 hours in robots txt but that seemed to almost stop all activity
i use the same exclusions in the sitemap creator and that does list all the forum URLs properly
so i really cant figure out why the bots love getting stuck in the calendar all day..

Kill Em All

Its hard to tell spiders where to go, the most you can do is with the robots.txt. Have you tried possibly disabling the calendar for a week?

Now with the domain problem, I'm a bit confused, are all those domains suppose to lead back to one forum or do you have two domains per forum; thus 2 forums all together?

Have you tried repair_settings.php?

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

Advertisement: