The "Check your Cookie settings" Problem

Started by Pillas, September 08, 2010, 04:46:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pillas

So, I decided to make a post about this myself, as i haven't really seen anyone getting this issue resolved anywhere.

I'm using a newly installed smf 2.0 RC3. And started to get the cookie problem more and more over the weeks.

Mods installed:

PM to new members V 1.2
Ajax instant quick reply V 1.0.3
More Spiders V 1.2
Global header/footer V 2.0
Spoiler BBcode V 1.1.3

As far as i remember this problem also persist before the mods was installed.

I am posting this issue now, since it now happends alot more than before, i can recreate it only with Internet explorer (alot of users also complained it not working on Opera) but firefox seems fine.
This could be resolved before by writing the wrong password, then the right password, but now it's 100% stuck on IE atleast.

I have also seen alot of people saying it's a server side problem, but as far as i can see, this is alot of people having these problems, and a "fix" would be nice.

Running on a dedicated server with a few more websites and forums (that are not smf) and none is having the same problem.

Any more info needed? :)

Error message when people log in:

An Error Has Occurred! You were unable to login. Please check your cookie settings.

EDIT:
I tried with both turning off Subdomain cookies, local storage of cookies etc, on and off, same thing, renamed the cookie, nothing is working :(

Url is:

www.chasenet.org

Kill Em All

Are you using database driven sessions? subdomain cookies should be turned off in your case, with local storage of cookies off as well.

Have you tried to tell them to clear their browser's cookies and cache? Enable IE compatibility mode? If all else fails, try clearing the smf_sessions table from the database. Replace smf_ with your database prefix.

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

Pillas

Yeah they are both off, and Database Driven sessions are on with these settings:

Allow browsers to go back to cached pages - YES
Timeout - 2880

I could tell them to clear the cache, and it's tried before, sometimes it works, sometimes not, it seems like alot of people get this problem with smf, with and without mods. And alot of other type of forums are also running on the same server without the same problems.

What's the easiest way to clear the session table?

Kill Em All

Do you have access to phpmyadmin? If so, select the SQL tab and then run this query.

TRUNCATE TABLE `smf_sessions`

Replace smf_ with the prefix of your database.

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

Advertisement: