News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Customized Registration Form

Started by Buraaq, September 08, 2010, 11:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buraaq

Heya!!

I was a total stranger to php, but thanks to smf I have been able to set up a forum for my college's student's council.

However, I needed to customized the registration form for my forum.

Currently, 4 fields are required to be filled in by a guest in order to become a member. These are user name, email address, password, and verify-password.

I need to add an additional field to this form for roll numbers. If I get to know their roll numbers before approving their registration request, I would be able to check the college data first to ensure that the registrant is indeed a student of our college.

The only thing is, I dont know how to do it but seeing so many mods flying around, I am pretty sure there has to be a way around this too. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :D

rd

Buraaq

Thanks a lot! Will give it a go now! =D

Kill Em All

Let us know how this works out for you. :)

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

rd

No problem and keep us updated if you face an issue.

If everything works great, simply mark as solved :)

Buraaq

Oh I will, you guys are great!

But there is this sliiiggght issue.

OKay, i am sure this is theeee stupidest question, but I am indeed stuck.

The link you gave, it says go to Admin>Config>core features..

I dont see core features anywhere.. I can only see features and options!.. I am attaching an image file, I hope I am not missing out anything here. Argentum is the theme; 2.0 RC3.  ???

rd

Weird, I'm on phone and it's 12 AM so I can't really check out the theme or anything.

But from your image, it seems that you don't have the Core Features tab.

Can you please switch to SMF default theme and take a screenshot of:

admin -> configuration -> Core features

rd

I just checked my Admin CP at 4umz.net, I have the same theme.

That one has core features listed in admin, under configuration before features and options.

This leads me to believe that there is something wrong with your SMF installation.

It's 2.0 RC3 correct? 1.1.11 doesn't have this feature if I'm not mistaken.

Anyways, did you upgrade to SMF 2.0 RC3 from a previous version of SMF?

Buraaq

Sure, just did.

but its the same. No "Core" option at my end =/

The only good it did was it showed a chat box I installed a day or so ago, but couldn't access using Argentum. It still not functioning, but its there at least =D

Buraaq

Anyways, did you upgrade to SMF 2.0 RC3 from a previous version of SMF?

hmmmm. yup I guess.. i am not sure cuz I was running two installations in two very different directories...I was having a tough time. At one end I was trying to update the 1.1.11 version using webinstall.php. On another I was running a fresh installation.. But this particular one is the updated one.

I am also having some other issues to be honest. Like when I rollover the "members" tab, a drop down menu opens but I can't see the tabs. When I am changing options for servers etc, a lot of drop down menus I come across but they are all blank. Blank as in they are THERE, but I can SEE them. check boxes are all over the place. Its crazy   :o

rd

QuoteAnyways, did you upgrade to SMF 2.0 RC3 from a previous version of SMF?

Have you?

Buraaq

To the best of my memory I did. But if method of fixing this issue is very different for fresh installation, I think I would rather make a new directory and install rc3 all over again now that I have a change. Only a few friends have registered so far; I can ask them to re reg on new one =/..

rd

I think you messed up on your upgrade, because this isn't supposed to happen in fresh installation of SMF.

You can either grab a large upgrade package from SMF download site and use that. It should fix any missing codes and such. Or like you said, you can install SMF 2.0 RC3 in another directory and check for the settings.

Please make sure when you transfer files from your PC to server that all files get copied! If you have Cpanel, I recommend uploading the .ZIP through Cpanel's file manager and then using the uncompress feature on the top right. This will make sure that all files and folders are transferee sucessfully.

Please keep us updated.

Buraaq

Yup, I think thats what I should do now..

But I have around 13 boards set up already, along with their description. Plus I have modified access levels for global mods and mods too, very carefully. If I do a fresh installation, i will have to re do all that :O

Is there a way around that?

What if I install a fresh SMF 2.0 RC3, then copy paste the files from the server onto the new installation (overwriting)? Missing files wont get overwritten, but I might be able to retain my data. Sounds dumb eh, but workable? =P

Buraaq

Heya again!

I just made a fresh installation in  a new directory. Perfect! :D

All the other issues are fixed too now, the drop down menu prob and all! Thanks a lot! This is so much better!!

Just wondering how to move data from the previous forum to the new forum? Possible? So that all my boards, and the posts within, and the registered members etc gets transferred to this new installation?

Thanks a lot!  :D

rd

Just hook up the database to the new installation. Change the database settings in settings.php I believe or use repair_settings.php

you can also just grab a large upgrade of 2.0 RC3 and upload the extracted files and overwrite the old ones. Then simply run yourdomain.com/upgrade.php

Buraaq

Hello again Royalduke

Thanks for all the help! It really got me somewhere...but...(hate buts eh?)... created another huge problem for myself just now. Please let me know if there is an easy way to fix this, else I will re-make my entire forum..

I was trying to change the settings.php files and well, I changed the database username and password of my original forum's settings.php to match that of my new one. Result is obvious, not that old forum as become exactly like the new one with all my data gone.

I know I could fix it by changing the username and password back to what it was, the only problem is I dont know the password of that original database  :( :( :(

I felt like banging my head on the wall, but wouldn't help. So here I am  :D

I have already tried this though.

In my CPanel, I clicked "phpMyAdmin".  On the toolbar on the left hand side I saw a drop down which listed all the databases I had created. I can access the original database from here, and under the category of "smf_members" in this database, I can view all my registered members. I was trying to export this file on my desktop, and then import it in my NEW database, overwriting its "smf_members". I thought that would work, but its not working. I get an error when importing the file from my desktop to the new database  :o

Buraaq

Royalduke!!

Solved it!! =D =D

By myself! i am s00oo0 happy..

Here is what I did, if anyone else is suffering from the same issue.

I went to phpMyAdmin through my cPanel.

There I selected my new database > smf_members and on the top right corner of the screen, clicked "DROP". This deleted the entire table in my smf_members area.

Then I went to my old database, the one I had lost the password of. Went to its smf_members area and clicked "operations" in the top toolbar.

From the right panel, I selected to copy the tables to the new database (selectable from the dropdown menu) and in the field adjacent to the database field, i typed in smf_members.

Clicked go, and tadaa! My members were restored!...

Do the same with smf_boards and smf_topics and any other area you need to copy. remember to first DROP the table which is to be replaced...mySql can't overwrite table it seems. It would just give u an error log.

But remember to create a back up of these sql files first before "Dropping" them!!

Ciao!

rd

Glad you solved it yourself!

You can learn a lot by playing around with SMF.

Buraaq

=D

thats true..and self learning is the best! But when ur forum gets all messed up, and u are forced to restart from the scratch, it sucks..

and if you have to do it 5 times, it sucks even more =D But now that I think I know some basics about SMF, I hope i wont mess my forum up THAT badly =p

Advertisement: