Post title missing in recent posts list (specific user/browser?)

Started by Dharshan, September 10, 2010, 03:10:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dharshan

Just found this on the SMF info recent topics,

is this an error??

R I P  : Steve Jobs | you made the world today look how it is | Thank you

Dude111

Hmmm those are threads i replied to,IT SHOULD SAY THE THREAD I REPLIED TO!!

Strange......

Oya

its cos you keep deletin the subject when you post

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Yep, it shows the topic of _the post_ not the actual topic... So if you delete the topic from your post, that's what it looks like.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Hey Dharshan, I guess you just found a bug. :P

BUT, oddly enough, I can not replicate it. :o

- I made a topic first, tried to post it without the subject, it wouldn't let me through.
- I tried to make a reply and removed the subject, but it still would not let me through.
- I modified the reply and the first topic subject but it still would not let me through. It will give out a message saying No subject was filled or something over those lines.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: (F.L.A.M.E.R) on September 10, 2010, 06:16:35 AM

BUT, oddly enough, I can not replicate it. :o
Actually, I can't either - it does check if there is a subject filled in or not... :o

Dude, what browser are you using and on what OS?
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

It is FF 3.6.9 with Win 7

* (F.L.A.M.E.R) just realized that Lex was talking to Dude111 but not F.L.A.M.E.R the dude! :P

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Dharshan

Quote from: (F.L.A.M.E.R) on September 10, 2010, 06:16:35 AM

Waah!  ;D

Dharshan jumps up... I found itzzzzzz

LOL. when i looked at it it felt weird... which inturn made me post it...

Dude111

Hmmm the site should show THE THREAD TITLE and not the title of the replies in that list of recent topics

Quote from: LexArma on September 10, 2010, 06:22:06 AMDude, what browser are you using and on what OS?

Im using IE6 with MyIE2 in front :) (Win98se)

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I'll have to test this - I have a real live Win 98SE installation on another computer actually... o_O
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Dharshan

Quote from: Dude111 on September 11, 2010, 04:31:42 AM
Im using IE6 with MyIE2 in front :) (Win98se)

Win 98SE  :D.. well I can remember the days i used that. i'm not far away from you .. am still using the humble old XP.

cheers!

Dharshan

ok, this is getting weird. when i did the above post just a second ago, it appeared like this. (look at the attached pic.

I'm using Windows XP
Firefox 3.6.9 (with some add ons)

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Actually XP isn't outdated at all - I still use it actively, and so does many of the companies I work for...
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Dharshan on September 11, 2010, 04:48:53 AM
ok, this is getting weird. when i did the above post just a second ago, it appeared like this. (look at the attached pic.
That's because you replied to a post with no topic I think.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Testing Quick Reply on 98SE - God this feels weird :D
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Testing normal reply on 98SE. Trying to remove the topic by hand (It did come up normally on the reply page) did not work, it will not let me post without it. ( IE5 + 98SE, no add ons ).

Will try to update to IE6 at some point, and try with the mentioned addon.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Dharshan

Quote from: LexArma on September 11, 2010, 04:51:05 AM
Quote from: Dharshan on September 11, 2010, 04:48:53 AM
That's because you replied to a post with no topic I think.

I'm trying to erase the topic,

I'm sure i didn't remove the topic when i replied.

I was replying to this topic when i got this error.

I cant post without a topic!!

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Dharshan on September 11, 2010, 05:03:18 AM
No, but you quoted a post without a topic, and so the topic of your post would just be RE:
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Dharshan

Quote from: LexArma on September 11, 2010, 05:04:47 AM
Quote from: Dharshan on September 11, 2010, 05:03:18 AM
No, but you quoted a post without a topic, and so the topic of your post would just be RE:

ok am quoting... i still have the topic here.....

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Just tested, If I quote a post by Dude111 the topic of my post is just Re:
as it should be, since SMF takes the topic from the post you quote, and adds a Re: in front of it.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

I'll move this to Bug Reports. Was it replicated by any chance?

Dharshan

Quote from: (F.L.A.M.E.R) on September 14, 2010, 07:48:52 PM

yes. chk my first post (the screen shot there)

it was replicated again (the second screen shot 13th post)

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Haven't had luck replicating this, so so far it seems Dude111 is the only one that got this to happen.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Quote from: Dharshan on September 14, 2010, 11:44:38 PM

yes. chk my first post (the screen shot there)

it was replicated again (the second screen shot 13th post)

Having "Re:" is a different thing than what Dude111 did. Compare both the screen shots. ;)

Quote from: LexArma on September 15, 2010, 12:57:51 AM
Haven't had luck replicating this, so so far it seems Dude111 is the only one that got this to happen.
He broke SMF :o if we were able to replicate this, I would consider this as a major bug.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I still haven't had a chance to try the actual setup of 98SE + IE6 + whatever the addon mentioned was, but somehow I doubt it would make a difference - isn't the check for content done on server level though? Not on the client side?
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Kindred

BTW: I changed the title of this thread to be something descriptive.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

What has happened is that the subject has at some point been replaced with a space encoded as a numeric entity ( )

IIRC this would not be caught by the check made in Post.php against the subject being empty since the trim() operation would not be done on entities. I can't remember what processing is done prior to that trim(), though, as there is a htmlspecialchars() or $smcFunc['htmlspecialchars'] call. I don't have access to the source right now to view, but the order of operations, and the details of them, may be important.

emanuele

I cannot post any more without a subject and if entities are used they are not converted to the respective character, but are posted as a code...but I found another thing: an inconsistency between the post page and the quick reply.

If an entity (e.g. "& #160;" without the space) is posted from the quick reply it is converted to the corresponding char (a space in this case), while if the entity is posted from the post page the entity is converted to & #38;#160; (i.e. &+#160;).

The result is: posting & #160; from the quick reply in display you will see an "empty" post (it contains only a space), while posting & #160; from the post page in display you will see & #160;

I'm not sure if it makes sense... :P

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Illori

Joker™

Quote from: emanuele on July 25, 2011, 10:43:21 AM
If an entity (e.g. "& #160;" without the space) is posted from the quick reply it is converted to the corresponding char (a space in this case), while if the entity is posted from the post page the entity is converted to & #38;#160; (i.e. &+#160;).

The result is: posting & #160; from the quick reply in display you will see an "empty" post (it contains only a space), while posting & #160; from the post page in display you will see & #160;
Umm not able to reproduce this anymore. The data sent in the database "& #160;".
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

How to enable Post Moderation

"For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions." - Laozi

All support seeking PM's get microwaved

emanuele

Is this still true?

As you can see from this post: more or less.

Okay, this is related to this: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=484030.0

And of course, since it depends on javascript, if js is disabled it's still possible to post entities that are converted to the relative char and so post a virtually empty subject.

* emanuele feels that move the replacement to php is the way to go, but will wait for objections.

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Advertisement: