News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Question about using a backup

Started by wynnyelle, September 12, 2010, 08:56:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wynnyelle

We suffered data loss and our entire store inventory including all the members' items was wiped out. I have a backup from a few hours before the destruction. Now, if I use it, will it wipe out all the posts and other alterations made after the backup?

dabears

Depends what your actually doing. If you do a full restore then yes you will lose posts etc made after the last backup.

Though I am not familiar with the mod, the easiest approach would be to just import the table enteries for the store mod your using.

That way all of your posts remain as is.

wynnyelle

That sounds excellent. How do I do that? Import the tables?

We have another problem the backup I made is gone, how do I re-upload it in the cpanel? Where do I place it? I have it on my HD

dabears

Hopefully you have access to phpmyadmin? If you do, take a look at the tables now your using the store mod or something?

You need to find those tables and empty out those tables, then insert enteries into your store mod tables. I don't know what they would be called as I do not use the mod.

In short, you empty out the tables for the store mod - then insert the enteries again using your backup for just the store mod tables alone. Remember to empty out the tables before getting ready to insert your backup.

wynnyelle

We have another problem the backup I made is gone, how do I re-upload it in the cpanel? Where do I place it? I have it on my HD

xenovanis

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

dabears

Quote from: Groovystar on September 12, 2010, 09:32:01 AM
If you have the backup on your hard drive the process is basically the same. For what your doing you don't need to upload anything, a simple cut and paste of your tables for that mod should do it.

I wouldn't worry about uploading anything as your doing a simple few table inserts not restoring the whole forum.

wynnyelle

Really! Then I won't uploade it. But how do I use it? How do I access those tables?

This is the store mod.

I'm clicking on the backup file it says it can't find the right programme to open it with.

xenovanis

You should be able to open it in any text or html editor. If it's zipped, unzip it first.

I was going to tell you what tables you need to copy from, but I can't find the mod on the modsite, :(
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

wynnyelle

SMF Store is the one. Version 2.0 rc 3

It won't let me open the backup by default on anything but I will open Wordpad and try to get it to open there. I'm opening it on wordpad, but its taking a very long time. It says it is not responding. I keep trying to open it and it freezes.

Need a little help here.

dabears

Tell you what, send me your info via pm. If you send me your backup I will help you out.

wynnyelle

Thank you so much. How do I send you the backup by PM though?

dabears

Quote from: Groovystar on September 12, 2010, 09:55:57 AM
Thank you so much. How do I send you the backup by PM though?
You wont be able to do that. Add me via IM, contact info should be there. My email info should be there too.

wynnyelle

I don't like just sending a total stranger a complete backup of my site. I appreciate your help, I just don't know you and don't take chances. Can we just try and work out how to do it back and forth, and I open it up myself?

Woedpad and notepad aren't working. What would you do next?

xenovanis

It's probably to large for Wordpad to handle then. You should be able to open it with a code editor, like Notepad++.

If you managed to open it (this could take a while if it's a large backup), search for _store. I think that should give you all stores tables, but since it's a mod not listed on the modsite I'm not absolutely sure.

Basically, you copy the text from

INSERT IN TO smf_store ....

to the endtag of that table
;

Next, paste it in your current database with phpMyAdmin. Select your database, click the SQL tab, past the text and hot "Go".

And to that for all store related tables.

dabears

xenovanis will walk you through the rest. That's fine I understand your point. I only offered because its sometimes quicker than to explain by post after post.

Just remember to empty and not drop your tables. Otherwise you will have to re-create it so be warned. ;)

wynnyelle

The store just reset itself again, apparently all by itself. I'm talking to Fussilet whom I hired to do work on the site and he swears he was only working on the demo site. The store totally reset itself all over again. The adnim panel moderation logs show nothing. What the hell is going on on my forum???

I am SCARED and I DONT TRUST MY FORUM anyore! I cannot run a forum that does things like this all by itself!!!

PLEASE HELP

xenovanis

You should be better off asking this over at smfhacks. Since they created the mod, they sure know more about the functionality than we do.

wynnyelle

Where is that? I will go immediatey there

xenovanis

Advertisement: