News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Missing texts after upgrade

Started by glennl, September 13, 2010, 07:14:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennl

Hello,

I just converted my forums from 1.1.11 to 2.0 RC3, but after the upgrade I'm missing a lot of texts, especially in the admin panel and the dropdown boxes in the header of the default theme. Also, the title of my forums only says "- Index" and doesn't show my forum name.

I checked the language files and they have been updated to the latest version. I'm using UTF-8.

Anyone can tell me what I can do about it?

Thanks!

gbsothere

Quote from: glennl on September 13, 2010, 07:14:43 AM
Hello,

I just converted my forums from 1.1.11 to 2.0 RC3, but after the upgrade I'm missing a lot of texts, especially in the admin panel and the dropdown boxes in the header of the default theme. Also, the title of my forums only says "- Index" and doesn't show my forum name.

I checked the language files and they have been updated to the latest version. I'm using UTF-8.

Thanks!

Were you using a custom theme before the upgrade?  If so, switch to default (Curve) and see if this changes things.  Custom themes for 1.1.11 won't function correctly with RC3.  If this is not the case, try changing your forum default language to English, rather than UTF-8 (just temporarily, to see if this has any effect).

:)
My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

I Don't Want To Grow Old Alone

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

A reminder about admin / ftp passwords etc.

glennl

Quote from: gbsothere on September 13, 2010, 07:38:37 AM
Quote from: glennl on September 13, 2010, 07:14:43 AM
Hello,

Thanks!

Were you using a custom theme before the upgrade?  If so, switch to default (Curve) and see if this changes things.  Custom themes for 1.1.11 won't function correctly with RC3.  If this is not the case, try changing your forum default language to English, rather than UTF-8 (just temporarily, to see if this has any effect).

:)
I was using a custom theme indeed with 1.1.11, but now I'm using the SMF default theme (core) and missing a lot of texts.
Can you give me the path I should follow to set my forum default language to English instead? I can't navigate without the texts :)

gbsothere

Quote from: glennl on September 13, 2010, 07:41:44 AM
I was using a custom theme indeed with 1.1.11, but now I'm using the SMF default theme (core) and missing a lot of texts.
Can you give me the path I should follow to set my forum default language to English instead? I can't navigate without the texts :)

Actually, the default theme for RC3 is "Curve".  Core is the old default theme for 1.1.11.   :)

Try adding this after "index.php" in your forum's url, to see if you can access languages:

?action=admin;area=languages

My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

glennl

Thanks for the suggestions. Tried a few languages, but nothing is changing... :(

Could it be that I'm missing the core theme (curve)?
Can I delete my core theme and re-add it?

Thanks!

gbsothere

Quote from: glennl on September 13, 2010, 07:55:27 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. Tried a few languages, but nothing is changing... :(

Could it be that I'm missing the core theme (curve)?
Can I delete my core theme and re-add it?

Thanks!

Did your upgrade go smoothly, glenni? 

I think, the first thing I would do is repeat the process, just to make sure that no steps were omitted.  I would make sure that the zip I'd downloaded for the upgrade was actually RC3's "Large Upgrade".  Then I would unzip it and, using an ftp application (such as "Filezilla" or "Fetch") I would open the folder inside the zip and move all the files inside to my forum's folder on my server (making sure that the files are uploaded as ASCII, not binary).  That's files as ASCII, not images. Then I would make all files and directories writable (755 for folders and 644 for files) and move the upgrade.php and all the included sql files found in the zip's root folder to my forum's folder, point to upgrade.php and try the upgrade again.

glennl

I was pretty sure everything went ok during the upgrade.
I will re-upload my backup and try again later!

Thanks!

gbsothere

Quote from: glennl on September 13, 2010, 08:09:06 AM
I was pretty sure everything went ok during the upgrade.
I will re-upload my backup and try again later!

Thanks!

If repeating the file upload and upgrade doesn't sort it, let us know, glenni.   :)

CapadY

after changing language files, always clear your FORUMcache
Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

Advertisement: