News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

theme VS "Skin"

Started by Nodaz, November 08, 2010, 05:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nodaz

ive been using a theme on a site for quite some time ive added a number of mods wherin ive had to manually edit certain files because i wasnt using the default theme.
I was curious IF there are such things a just "skins" so to speak that change the default theme, yet allow for full automatic installation of mods.

Hope that made sense.

kat

Yes. :)

If you look in the sections labelled "Curve Variations" and "Core Variations", I believe they work, like that.

That's assuming you're using v2.x.

There were some similar for v1,1.x. But, they seem to have been moved and I can't find them. :(

If all else fails, I can get them to you, somehow, if you want.

vbgamer45

In my mind skins would be changes just to the stylesheets .css files and image replacements you can actually do quite a bit just modifying the css and images.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Nodaz

ok, thanks, ill take a look and see what i can find...to clarify i need to use v2.x to be current

Edit, im not finding the curve/core variations sections...

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

ARG01

Quote from: vbgamer45 on November 08, 2010, 06:01:50 PM
In my mind skins would be changes just to the stylesheets .css files and image replacements you can actually do quite a bit just modifying the css and images.

Agreed. And, this will not effect mod installs as all other files remain in tact as original. This is why I mainly do theme skin packs instead of creating entire themes. Theme skin packs normally consist of CSS and image changes only. If any changes are needed in other files such as index.template, display.template, etc. I include a well explained README to map out exactly what changes to make and where to make them. This way you keep your original files without the need to uninstall and re-install any existing mods.

;)
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

vbgamer45

You do skins? Wow that would one of the few that I seen. For my smf hosting service that is how I work using skins for the users I have a dedicated site just for skins styleyourforum.com. I prefer the skin method myself since all mods work without changes.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

ARG01

Quote from: vbgamer45 on November 09, 2010, 12:18:18 AM
You do skins? Wow that would one of the few that I seen. For my smf hosting service that is how I work using skins for the users I have a dedicated site just for skins styleyourforum.com. I prefer the skin method myself since all mods work without changes.

That's all I normally do. http://omniwebz.com/design/   ;D
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

Advertisement: