News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

[TIP] Lazy Admin Menu

Started by Acans, September 15, 2010, 08:00:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kat

* K@ wonders how much of a pain it'd be, to extend this to include the "Profile" menu...

NanoSector

Quote from: ahrasis on July 26, 2014, 01:01:51 AM
There is already a packaged mod for this. But of course you can manually do it.
Why take the easy route when you can do it the hard way. ;)
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Steve

@ K@ ... that would be nice wouldn't it?

Lol @ NanoSector
DO NOT pm me for support!

Arantor

The answer is ugliness, it's why when I redid the profile menu in 2.1, I deliberately *didn't* do it the same way, especially since while it's not too bad in performance doing the admin menu due to a lack of people doing the admin menu thing, it's significantly more serious for the profile menu.

Arantor

Did you see what I did in 2.1 though? It's almost as good IMNSHO.

kat

Not yet. I have yummy access to young Rick's site, though. I'll have a butcher's.

Arantor

The profile menu is now at the top, along with messages and notifications.

kat

Oh, yeah! I forgot how to get to the profile, at first... :P

MUCH better. :)

Arantor

I thought so. There were people who didn't approve of the way I implemented it because loading all the profile menu every page rather than doing a call to the server to get it was obviously terrible.

kat

Well, it works. It seems to work quickly, on Rick's site, and it's infinitely better'n what's in 2.0.x.

Sooooo...

'course, being an old fart, I still prefer the old "Icons" approach. But, that's another skirmish. ;)

Arantor

I like to think I made several usability improvements in 2.1 even if they ignore consistency.

Improving the admin menu as per this tip (or mod) though is not one of them :/

Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail

Quote from: ‽ on July 26, 2014, 10:28:13 AM
IMNSHO

Lols...

If you could maybe do the same with lazy admin menu the way you did for profile menu in 2.1? :P

I never check the code in 2.1 though have tested it. I'll wait until it is beta to do the Malay translation and going through the codes. [lazy translator mode] ;)

Arantor

You're presuming that I care enough about 2.1 to write any code for it any more.

What I did was set up a special callback in the profile to serve a dedicated template. Doing that for admin would be a mess in 2.1 simply because there's just so much more stuff and the profile popup is only a specific subset of what's in the profile since most of the things you just don't need instant access to.

jamiewalters68

I do hope I could get something great from this since I'm still a newbie. Anyway, thanks!

dougiefresh

Quote from: K@ on July 26, 2014, 04:30:55 AM
* K@ wonders how much of a pain it'd be, to extend this to include the "Profile" menu...
Better Profile Menu was written....  Only it duplicates the menu structure as SMF 2.1 Alpha 1 does it, but not the whole effect.  It's a static menu, but it's like this tip.

Steve

And it has a problem still as I posted in that mod's thread. ;)

dougiefresh

The problems have been addressed in the other thread.....

Steve

Arantor

Advertisement: