News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

SMF 1.1 Beta 3 Public!

Started by [Unknown], June 26, 2005, 10:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

[Unknown]

Simple Machines is very happy to bring you SMF 1.1 Beta 3 Public.  We hope that those of you eagerly awaiting the public release of this new version of SMF will be happy with the changes we have made.  This is, however, a beta release.  If you are uncomfortable with beta versions of software, we strongly suggest you continue using SMF 1.0.x for now.  If you do upgrade, it will not be possible to "downgrade" except by using a backup.

SMF 1.1 has changed in many ways from SMF 1.0.  Problems have been fixed, bottlenecks have been identified, features have been added, and code has changed.  Mods and themes which worked with previous versions may very well not work without significant change with this new version.  This includes integration with Mambo, MKPortal, and Coppermine.  If you are not comfortable with this, please do not upgrade to this version.

If you find any problems or have any comments, we wish to hear them, as always.  Please remember, however, that not every feature wanted can be added, and we are approaching the release candidate phase for this version, which will mean no new features except in specific cases.

If you feel you have found a security hole or very serious bug, it is best to email [email protected] to make sure the correct people are notified.  However, if it is not critical, it will be more quickly addressed if it is posted to SMF Coding Discussion or General English Support.  For any other problems, please post in the appropriate section of General English Support.

Some of the most notable changes from the previous versions are:
  • A faster and more optimized search feature, utilizing fulltext if configured to.
  • Members may now request the text of replies in notification emails.
  • Many of the administrative sections have been changed greatly to facilitate easier configuration.
  • The package manager has, from feedback provided, changed in many ways to prevent the problems people have encountered in the past.
  • Message labels may now be used to sort personal messages.
  • Members using WAP2 or I-Mode can now check and send personal messages.
  • Many improvements to the BBC parsing engine, including better XHTML compliance and [html] and [nobbc] tags.
  • Calendar events now more seamlessly span multiple days, and can be posted without a corresponding topic.
  • SMF now takes advantage of shared memory when possible (which is great for larger forums; post or search for "cache_enable" for more information.)
  • Better ban system with grouping and easier administration.
  • Simplified permissions management.
  • More secure password hashing on login and in storage.
  • As advertisements like to say, "and much, much more..."

Please check the changelog.txt file for a much more detailed list of changes.  Make sure to clear your schedule, it's a long and dry read.

Unfortunately, this release does have a known problem with attachment thumbnails; if you enable that option, you may have problems with excessive memory usage on some versions and configurations of PHP.  We're not sure what is causing this bug, and we're still working on solving it, but it shouldn't be a problem for most people.

Upgrading from your current version of SMF to the latest version could not be simpler, merely follow the standard procedure of executing upgrade.php.  But, please remember to make a backup!!  The upgrader will upgrade any installation from YaBB SE 1.5.5 all the way up to the latest version of SMF.  You can always find information posted here about things like installation, upgrade, and more.

http://www.simplemachines.org/download.php

Thanks,
    Simple Machines

dtm.exe

Awesome!  The moment everyone has been waiting for has finally arrived!

-Dan The Man

Isaac

Sys_ZERO

There are problems with http://www.simplemachines.org/download.php

All the links are 404's and it's got some error at the top

Sys_ZERO

HoTmetal

Wow, I'll be installing this tonight...thanks SMF team!

Quote from: Sys_ZERO on June 28, 2005, 10:42:28 PM
There are problems with http://www.simplemachines.org/download.php

All the links are 404's and it's got some error at the top

Sys_ZERO

Yup me too

QuoteWarning: filesize(): Stat failed for /home/simple/public_html/downloads/smf_1-1-beta3p_upgrade.zip (errno=2 - No such file or directory) in /home/simple/public_html/download.php on line 334

dtm.exe

I'm getting this when I visit the downloads page.

Warning: filesize(): Stat failed for /home/simple/public_html/downloads/smf_1-1-beta3p_upgrade.zip (errno=2 - No such file or directory) in /home/simple/public_html/download.php on line 334

Warning: filemtime(): Stat failed for /home/simple/public_html/downloads/smf_1-1-beta3p_upgrade.zip (errno=2 - No such file or directory) in /home/simple/public_html/download.php on line 335

-Dan The Man

[Unknown]

There was a small problem with the download system, sorry.

-[Unknown]

dtm.exe

Quote from: [Unknown] on June 28, 2005, 10:49:31 PM

-[Unknown]

No problem.  For anyone else that sees these errors, just scroll down to access the downloads.

-Dan The Man

[Unknown]

Quote from: OIDanTheManIO on June 28, 2005, 10:52:21 PM
Quote from: [Unknown] on June 28, 2005, 10:49:31 PM

-[Unknown]

No problem.  For anyone else that sees these errors, just scroll down to access the downloads.

-Dan The Man

The errors are gone, unless you're looking at a cached page.

-[Unknown]

codenaught

:o

Yes I can finally use 1.1!

* akabugeyes is so happy right now!  :D
Dev Consultant
Former SMF Doc Coordinator

dtm.exe

Quote from: [Unknown] on June 28, 2005, 10:54:06 PM
The errors are gone, unless you're looking at a cached page.

-[Unknown]

No, they're gone now.

-Dan The Man

shishira

so happy happy happy

and released with out warnings as usual can sit now and make changes to my theme cool

keep it up ppl
It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

http://shiroid.com
http://bangaloreforums.com

Isaac

I'm assuming we have to upgrade manually and not via the Package Manager?

vln004

dtm.exe

Quote from: Isaac on June 28, 2005, 11:25:37 PM
I'm assuming we have to upgrade manually and not via the Package Manager?

Last time I checked, yes.

-Dan The Man

Isaac

Ah, I looked at the SMF News part in my Admin Center and found my answer. :)

mennou

An Error Has Occurred!
The package you tried to upload either is not a valid package or has become corrupted. 

Isaac

Quote from: mennou on June 28, 2005, 11:45:59 PM
An Error Has Occurred!
The package you tried to upload either is not a valid package or has become corrupted. 

You can't use the Package Manager for this update. :)

dtm.exe

Then just do it manually :).

-Dan The Man

codenaught

Well my first impressions of SMF 1.1 are very good.  :D

The upgrade was very easy as usual. The only problem I had was that after upgrading there was a blank category and blank board inside it which I could not edit through the Manage Boards section. But it was no problem, I simply deleted it using MYSQL.  ;)

I really like how the admin cp has been changed so much. Much better navigation now.

Some of my favorite new features are:

+ Clicking on the new post indicators next to each board allows you to go to all unread posts in that board.

+ You can now edit all template files instead of just index.template.php.

+ There is an inline theme previewer when editing the CSS file. You can view any page on your board on it also. (Very Cool!)

+ Previewing a post no longer refreshes the page (As I have seen here for quite some time now)

+ I also like the "Generate Reports" feature.

+ The  [html] and [nobbc] tags
Dev Consultant
Former SMF Doc Coordinator

Advertisement: