Stuck... How do uninstall 2.0 and do a clean install on active forum?

Started by Fearless Freap, September 16, 2010, 09:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fearless Freap

OK,

So I've not done things exactly as I should, and have made a mess of things.  I installed SimplePortal, and a handful of other mods, uninstalled, reinstalled... had some problems but I'm currently stable.  I want to reinstall SimplePortal on a clean installation but I don't want to lose the data that's been put in.

What steps do I need to take to wipe the slate clean without losing all the current members, topics, posts, attachments, avatars... and so forth?  I am using SMF 2.0

Thanks,

-Steve

gbsothere

Quote from: Fearless Freap on September 16, 2010, 09:55:18 PM
OK,

So I've not done things exactly as I should, and have made a mess of things.  I installed SimplePortal, and a handful of other mods, uninstalled, reinstalled... had some problems but I'm currently stable.  I want to reinstall SimplePortal on a clean installation but I don't want to lose the data that's been put in.

What steps do I need to take to wipe the slate clean without losing all the current members, topics, posts, attachments, avatars... and so forth?  I am using SMF 2.0

Thanks,

-Steve

If you just want to wipe the slate clean, simply open the SMF zip, open the folder inside and, using an ftp application, move all the files over to your forum's directory (with the exception of Settings.php and Settings_bak.php).  Do not overwrite those two files; in fact, save them from your server as backup.  You want to make sure you do upload all the Source files, theme templates and language files.  This will not affect your database, which is where all your members, posts, PMs, attachments, etc., are stored.  However...

Before you begin, do backup your database (tables, structure, data) as a precaution.  Always a good practice.

You do not need to run any upgrade.php or install.php.  Simply overwrite the files, with the exception of the two I mentioned.

;)
My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

I Don't Want To Grow Old Alone

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

A reminder about admin / ftp passwords etc.

Fearless Freap

gbsothere

My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

Fearless Freap

Hey, I read your reference to Steely Dan...  Research how they came up with the name Steely Dan.

It's quite amusing.  One other quick question, Do I need to delete all the old files or just install over top of the existing?

-Steve

gbsothere

Quote from: Fearless Freap on September 17, 2010, 10:50:52 AM
Hey, I read your reference to Steely Dan...  Research how they came up with the name Steely Dan.

It's quite amusing.  One other quick question, Do I need to delete all the old files or just install over top of the existing?

-Steve

*grin*   Yes, I do know about that, uh..... *ahem*..... interesting bit of trivia.   :D

You can just overwrite by uploading new ones; that will be okay.  You may find, after, that you have some leftover mod-placed templates and source files (that came in mod zips).  If you no longer use those mods, those are okay to delete.  Remember not to overwrite Settings.php and Settings_bak.php and to back up that database.

;)

Advertisement: