News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

DB Restore error

Started by ToeJam, September 20, 2010, 02:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToeJam

Well all my posts got deleted that were not stickied, Sunday 10pm EST.  My hosting company does snap shot backups, full.  We asked for a restore as of Saturday and they say they have done so.  Signing back into the site 'maintenance mode' is still on (set after the loss of the posts), and the boards are still empty.  Is there something on our end that we may still be missing?  Any help is GREATLY appreciated.   

xenovanis

They restored the backup in the same database, overwriting the existing data?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

ToeJam

That was my concern, maybe they are not overwriting the existing data?  I've asked them to restore to an empty DB.  Prior to the delete, I had hundreds of posts, so the table smf_messages record count should have been just as high.  After the delete problem, I have 62 records which matches my total post count.  I've asked since to have it restored to an empty database.  Would that help?

Oya

waht mods did u have

theres a mod that removes old posts

xenovanis

If it is restored to an empty database with a different name, how does SMF know how to find it then?  ;)

Upload the file repair_settings.php to your forumlocation and change the mysql data to connect to the restored database:
What is repair_settings.php?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

ToeJam

Thank you xenovanis and oya...

They weren't doing the restore right.  I believe as xenovanis suggested, they weren't overwriting the existing data.  They haven't owned up to that, but I think that's what is happening. 

Now I have to come up with a new backup and restore procedure. 

We're back up and going!

thanks again for all of your help!

xenovanis

Glad it's fixed.

Remember to tell your other admins only to prune topics if they're absolutely sure about it  ;)

Advertisement: