News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Modifying rejection/approval email

Started by Buraaq, September 21, 2010, 10:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buraaq

Heya!

I have searched a lot for this topic, even found some relevant onces, but they didn't help. I haven't replied to those because its been over 120 days since anyone posted there.

Anyhow, as the topic indicates, I am looking to modify the text of my rejection/approval emails which are sent to users when admin approves or rejects their memberships.

According to those other topics, I should change my login.english.php file which is in Themes/default/languages. I did that. Didnt help.

Then I found a file named EmailTemplates.english.php in the same folder. I edited that, and thought it would work because the email text included in those files was the one that users currently get upon approval/rejection.

So I changed this text, but it didn't work either. I still get that same default approval or rejection email, and I am totally lost now.

I am using smf 2.0 Rc3, and have numerous modifications installed. Any help please? =/

xenovanis

Login.english.php should be the file. Unless you're using utf8 languagefiles, in that case you should edit Login.english-utf8.php.

Have you cleared your cache after making the modifications?
Admin -> Maintenance -> Forum Maintenance
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Buraaq

oh nopes, didn't clear the cache. WIll try that, but I think its the other issue..ut8 one, will give it a try too. THanks a whole bunch mate!! :)

Buraaq

Heya again.

I tried looking up Login.english.php, but it didn't contain any of the text users get in their emails when they get registered =/

It just contained this text somewhere:
QuoteThank you for registering. The admin must approve your registration before you may begin to use your account, you will receive an email shortly advising you of the admins decision.

This is what you see when you are done registering, but your approval is pending. I changed this text, and cleared my cache. It worked well.

But any idea how do I change the emails too? wouldn't that be email.template.php? the file name is quite tempting you know  :D

plus, Login.english-utf8.php file doesn't exist in my folder  :-\

xenovanis

Indeed it seems to be changed since 1.1.x. It used to be in Login.english.php, however now it seems to be in EmailTemplates.english.php, like you found.

You'll need to change this for the rejecting mails:

Regrettably, your application to join {FORUMNAME} has been rejected.

and this for the approval mails:

Your account has been activated manually by the admin and you can now login and post. Your username is: {USERNAME}. If you forget your password, you can change it at {FORGOTPASSWORDLINK}.

Not sure if you can use html there, I'll have to do some testing on that.

Oh, and no worries about the utf-8 languagefiles not being there. It's just that we are used to using the default languagefiles, that we forget that people are using utf-8 languagefiles as well.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Buraaq

yup!

was just changing the texts in that php file. Its working mate, as suspected! Thanks a lot! =)

catfished

I'm using 1.1.11 and there is no EmailTemplates.english.php file in Themes/default/languages folder and there definitely is nothing about it in Loginenglish.php. Where in the heck is the manual activation by admin email text for version 1.1.11? Thanks in advance for any help.
You use and like this forum software? Then show your appreciation and support by becoming a Charter Member.

CatfishEd.com

xenovanis

Quote from: catfished on October 23, 2010, 08:09:34 PM
I'm using 1.1.11 and there is no EmailTemplates.english.php file in Themes/default/languages folder and there definitely is nothing about it in Loginenglish.php. Where in the heck is the manual activation by admin email text for version 1.1.11? Thanks in advance for any help.

I assume you mean the email that is send to the user after the account has been approved? That seems to be a bit scattered. For instance, there's this part in /Themes/default/languages/ManageMembers.english.php

$txt['admin_approve_accept_desc'] = 'Your account has been activated manually by the admin and you can now login and post.';

catfished

Quote from: xenovanis on October 24, 2010, 08:24:31 AM
I assume you mean the email that is send to the user after the account has been approved? That seems to be a bit scattered. For instance, there's this part in /Themes/default/languages/ManageMembers.english.php

$txt['admin_approve_accept_desc'] = 'Your account has been activated manually by the admin and you can now login and post.';

Hey xenovanis, thanks a bunch. That's the only part I needed to modify the text of the email so I tested it and it works fine. I simply added sorry for the inconvenience at the end and it shows up in the email. 8) ;D
You use and like this forum software? Then show your appreciation and support by becoming a Charter Member.

CatfishEd.com

Advertisement: