News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

odd character

Started by Reefie, September 22, 2010, 11:23:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reefie

some of my members are having a £ display in their posts,it shows up as a black diamond with question mark in.Can't figure it out is it a smf problem ? any ideas gratefully recieved

A world without a reef is a world in chaos

Oya

Reefie

not that a link will change anything,I can't describe it any better as you will see,next to last post
http://reefersuk.com/forum/index.php?topic=559.msg2882#new

IceXaos

The only odd thing I see is "" in the upper left of your template.  I don't see a pound sign anywhere, or anything wrong with the post.

Could you provide a screenshot and point it out?

IceXaos

Were you talking about this? "50ml for £30+?"
If so, that's a symbol for an amount of money in certain eastern countries, such as the UK.

Oya

no the post is wrong as there is the ? symbol when theres supposed to be a £

there's a content encoding mismatch - the three characters indicate to the browser that the content is utf-8 not iso-8859-1 which is why the pound sign is broken (the iso encoded version is not a valid utf-8 character)

have a search for the file_check.php utility here and use that to check out your php files

IceXaos

It showed up fine for me, dunno.

Reefie

thanks for the replies,it does show perfect for some and not others,i know it's a uk pound sign I live here ;) will take a look for the file you suggested,and thanks again

Reefie

just ran file_check.php and it tells me a lot of php files do not end with  ?>  can anyone please tell me how I went wrong,I haven't added any edits lately to any php file so no real idea

Reefie

addendum,I took a look at some of the php files listed by file checker where it said did not end with ?> and the files did.Any help appreciated as I am at a loss

Reefie

anyone at all ? it is mainly the lack of a £ sign and it being replaced by the ?.I ran the file as above,and got back that some files did not end with ?> I have gone through these and all end with?>

addendum I think I know why it is showing?> errors,it seems it is looking at my old vb php files

Reefie

Alex' Manson

well could you at least say how you solved this? so other people find this useful, you know..

Advertisement: