News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

PROBLEM: Visual Verification no longer showing image

Started by mivanthi, September 22, 2010, 02:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mivanthi

I have a weird problem on one of my fora... I do not get the standard verification letter images anymore anywhere...

Using 2.0 RC3. Tried optimizing tables, checked a lot of stuff, but don't know where to look or what to look for anymore... Can someone PLEASE help?

gbsothere

This is just a hunch, but place the attached file in your forum's root and point your browser to it.  It will alert you as to which files, if any, have missing elements or errors.  Using a text editor, make the suggested edits and reupload the files.  Refresh your browser and check to see if the image is still missing.

(As always, back up any files before editing.)

:)

If this doesn't sort it, then please advise whether you're using a custom theme and/or what mods you have.

My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

I Don't Want To Grow Old Alone

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

A reminder about admin / ftp passwords etc.

mivanthi

First of all, thanks for your fast reply!

Tried the check. Only gave me a list of files that were missing ?> at the end of the file. Checked those files and noticed that a lot of them DID have the ending php-code! Corrected the few that did not. But no effect on the non showing Verification Image... That is still gone... And still no errors in the log...

I am using SMF 2.0RC3
Default theme, with minor self-made adjustments in index.css and index.template.php
Plugin list:
1.   Add Honey Pot to Track IP   1.1
2.   Custom_Top_menu   1.3
3.   Yet Another Global Announcements Mod   2.7.3 
4.   Advanced Reputation System   0.1.5
5.   Activity in Profile   1.1 
6.   Ultimate Profile   0.9.1
8.   Stop Spammer   2.3.7
9.   Caps_Lock_Detection_on_Login   1.1.0.1
10.   Top 10 Posters and Topic Starters Stats (Today, Week, Month, and Year)   2.5.1 
11.   Ultimate Profile   0.9.1
12.   Downloads System   1.3.4.3
13.   Treasury   2.06
14.   TextSizer   1.7 
15.   SMF Links   2.3 
16.   Watermark.light   1.5 
17.   Share This Topic   2.3 
18.   httpBL   2.3.4 
19.   Menu Order   0.2.4
20.   Order Custom Profile Fields   1.1 
21.   Ad Managment   2.3.6.2
22.   [user] BBC Tag   1.0.1 
23.   VB Style User Profile In Posts   1.1 
24.   AddThis   1.0 
25.   Advanced Contact Form   1.1
26.   Member NotePad   1.2.1
27.   SimpleDesk - Integrated Helpdesk for Simple Machines Forum   1.0 Felidae
28.   Custom Greeting Mod   1.1.1
29.   WYSIWYG Quick Reply   2.1
30.   RulesOnPost   0.1 
31.   SA Affiliates   3.3.5.1
32.   Reason For Editing Mod   2.3.2
33.   PM to New Members   1.2
34.   RedirectPage   1.9a
35.   reCAPTCHA for SMF 0.9.8

gbsothere

In your index.template.php (for both default and for any custom theme you're using) would you check to make sure there is no extra space occurring before <?php (at the beginning of the file)?  If there is, would you place your cursor just before the <?php and delete backward to remove it?  (Be careful not to accidentally highlight and erase when doing this.)

Speaking of custom themes, are you using one and does the image appear if you switch to default?

Also, is there any chance that the option "Require verification on registration page" has been unchecked (Admin==> Security and Moderation==>Anti-Spam)?

EDIT:  Moving this to the 2.x Support board.
My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

mivanthi

weird ******...

the index.template.php is ok

Switching to another theme makes it all work again... But then not all mods work correctly... I'm beginning to be affraid I have to start from scratch...

And that option of 'require ver...' is checked and working... it's just  that the PICTURE isn't showing.

I'll set everything back to the default (and not properly working) theme, set my forum language to English, so you can see what happens when you try to register... Just for your pleasure ;)

hxxp:www.dutch-photographers/forum/ [nonactive]

gbsothere

Quote from: mivanthi on September 23, 2010, 12:11:02 PM
weird ******...

the index.template.php is ok

Switching to another theme makes it all work again... But then not all mods work correctly... I'm beginning to be affraid I have to start from scratch...

And that option of 'require ver...' is checked and working... it's just  that the PICTURE isn't showing.

I'll set everything back to the default (and not properly working) theme, set my forum language to English, so you can see what happens when you try to register... Just for your pleasure ;)

www.dutch-photographers.eu/forum

The image is really a set of fonts.  If it's working in default, then your font folder is okay. 

The reason your mods aren't working in custom theme mode is because the package manager only parses files for the default theme and for English language files.  Any UTF8, etc., must have each mod's edits placed manually, as well as any template files your custom theme uses that the mod also edits.  You can find the manual edits by going to the mod's page, clicking next to the zip you downloaded, setting the pulldown to RC3 and clicking Parse. 

In fact, this may be why the Visual Verification isn't showing up.  I notice that you have the reCAPTCHA mod, as well as some other "spam prevention" mods.  Try placing the edits manually for your custom templates and any language files your custom themes use (as well as any UTF8 files, if you don't want your forum default language to be "English") and see if this sorts it.

I missed that last bit of your post.  I'll try and see if it shows up.

EDIT:  Part of your link is missing.   ;)

IchBin™

Even though you see that there are closing PHP tags at the end of those files, it is not really the case. Any of the SMF files cannot end with a single space or line return AFTER any of the closing ?> tags. The file_check.php shows you all the files in your install that have a space or line return after the closing ?> php tags. You need to correct all of them in order for your images in the verification to show up.
IchBin™        TinyPortal

gbsothere

IchBin, thanks!  I never realized this about the spaces that appear after the closing ?>; I only concerned myself with whether the ?> was there, so this is good to know.

mivanthi

You are both my hero's!!!! :)

After going through all the files again and deleting any trailing whatever after the closing PHP tag ?> everything like a miracle seems to be working again!!!! 

Shouldn't someone somehow let mod developers know they need to check those kind of things? Most of these spaces after the ending tags were placed by regular and 'official' mod's...

Never the less... Guys, thanks for your great help!

gbsothere

Glad it's sorted for you, mivanthi!   :)

(Sometimes, a file can start out just fine but, with the addition of mod edits, a tweak here and there, things tend to get moved.  I may just get off my lazy duff today and do a little file checking of my own.)   ;)

Advertisement: