News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Detecting the user language

Started by dsanchez, September 23, 2010, 04:54:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

Is it possible to automatically detect a user language and show a register form for the user in his language (if available)?

Alex' Manson

put advanced profile fields ON and make a language field and mark it as necessary to complete registration and you got it.

dsanchez

If I create a field "language" for the profile, and the user writes "spanish", then what? I mean, the register form will be shown in english by default anyway. What i'd like, is to show a register form in the user's language before asking him the information. In other words, I'd like the page to detect what language the user is using in his computer and show a register form accordly to this. Is possible?

If this not possible. It's possible to ask a new user to select a language by default (for instance I have dutch, english, french, german and spanish installed in my forum). Can these languages be shown in the register form to the new user so that he can choose the language he wants to use?

Alex' Manson

oh, i am afraid that i don't think that theres this option, you may make a MOD REQUEST for it and someone may make a mod for you, i am sure this will be helpful...

Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail

You can use this mod as a solution: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=598

If you are happy with it and this solve your issue, please mark this as solved.

dsanchez

I have this mod installed but is not really what I want, because with this mod the user MUST select a language. I would like SMF to identify the language of the user since he enters the forum. I will keep on searching ;)

Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail

There is an old mod that allow user to choose language on the registration page itself: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=747

However, there is no update for SMF 2.0 RC3. You can also pm the mod author for help on updating this.  I will try to check whether I can update this when I have a free time.

Advertisement: