News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Simple Machines forms as an NPO

Started by Kindred, September 23, 2010, 10:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flapjack

Quote from: sharks on May 09, 2011, 07:45:35 PM
NPO. 3PO. It's all starting to sound the same to me. How about some updates on how the conversion to the 3PO is moving on? Has it reached at least 50% or halfway of the overall process? Are the lawyers still waiting for some final decisions? Can we expect the litigation to be resolved before 2012? These are vague deadlines which should be answerable.

->

Quote from: [SiNaN] on May 05, 2011, 07:08:48 PM
Hello everyone,

It has been a long time since the last blog post about SMF development. I have been meaning to post something like this for months but there always seemed to be something new coming up, right around the corner. I apologize. This post puts an end to all of that, and we'll try to get in the habit of giving you more frequent updates while we develop SMF code for you.

During the past 9 months, we have provided periodic development builds exclusively to our charter members, announced that Simple Machines has reorganized as an NPO, released SMF 2.0 RC4/1.1.12, and SMF 2.0 RC4 Security Patch/2.0 RC5/1.1.13 and announced the license change for the SMF 2.0 final release. SMF 2.0 will not only be the long awaited stable version we all are working on getting out in the community, but the free and open source software it was meant to be from the start. As you may have read, the last change required sorting out legal matters regarding the old LLC and the new NPO. At long last, this has been completed. All that's left now is to spray some "pesticode" here and there and 2.0 final should be ready to go.

Until last week, progress following the RC5 release was slow, for various reasons. Norv and Antechinus were caught up in real life and I had health problems. At this point, there are only a few changes to make, but we have started picking up the pace again and with the legal matters solved, we will do our best to release 2.0 final as soon as possible.

So, what does this all mean? It means 2.0 final is very very close to being released. Really! I can't give an exact date, but you can trust me that we will release SMF 2.0 final by the end of May, 2011, unless we get hit by an asteroid. In the mean time thank you all for your continued support.

sharks

Thanks for the update, flapjack. Apparently, the final release is going to happen at the end of May 2011... unless there's an asteroid crashing somewhere, i quote. Anyway, i've given up waiting for 2.0 final, so the asteroid crash seems more likely. NPO is still 3PO. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3PO

Matthew K.

It's up to you, but I really don't think you should give up on 2.0 Final. This time it's for real, now that the legal stuff has been cleared, the dev issues are being worked on, and other progress is being made daily.

DoctorMalboro

Quote from: sharks on May 09, 2011, 10:47:25 PMThanks for the update, flapjack. Apparently, the final release is going to happen at the end of May 2011... unless there's an asteroid crashing somewhere, i quote. Anyway, i've given up waiting for 2.0 final, so the asteroid crash seems more likely. NPO is still 3PO. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3PO
If I was a dev and read this, I wouldn't even bother on developing 2.0...

Seriously, you are the classic troll who only talks with the knowledge of... nothing. Do you even know how a NPO process is? Seriously, burocracy sucks... But that's how thinks *unfortunately* work.

Kindred

yes, sharks is acting distinctly troll-like, picking at bits of the message, ignoring the bits which prove him wrong and not looking at the whole thing.

especially since he's posting complaints about the 2.0 release in a thread which is announcing the organizational shift and has very little to do with the individual (forum) project releases (apart from - the transfer had to be complete before we could release under the BSD license)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Road Rash Jr.

What is it with your fettish of trolls? Or is it that anyone who has a different opinion from yours is supject to your abuse? You really should add that to your 'Core Values' that you are exempt.
Never argue with an Idiot like myself, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Matthew K.

Road Rash - Both Kindred and Doc are both right. Sharks is making points that are not even close to the truth.

Kindred

Since this actual announcement is almost a year old and it seems to have degenerated. I have locked the topic.

There will be more announcements shortly.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: