Subscription Feature, Users not being activated, stuck in status 'Pending'

Started by PenelopeQ, September 26, 2010, 02:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PenelopeQ

I had a friend order a subscription so I can see how it works in use.

The order went through--though I havea few questions to ask PAyPAl.

But in my admin center when I look up the subcription, it says it is pending. But I received the $ in my PayPal account.

Am supposed to manually do something with each new subscription--manually accept? Is it not automatic? Or is this about something else?

xenovanis

Not sure, since I don't use it myself, but you could try this:
Admin -> Maintenance -> Scheduled tasks -> Paid Subscription Checks -> select "run now"

In addition, make sure this is checked as "Enabled".
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

PenelopeQ

Thanks, I tried that and it did nothing. It was simply a check to make sure the system sends notices to a subscriber when their subscription is about to expire.

In the view subscriptions table it lists the subscription as both Pending and Finsihed, though not as Active. When I click on that specific subscription type it says the status is pending, the payment is pending, gives the start date as of yesterday--correct for when the payment was made--and no end date, though it should be 6 months.

I rechecked the settings for the subscription type and they are correct and it is set to Active.

I just went in and manually added my testing account. This one shows up as Active, but the Finished column says 0--so that must somehow be related to Pending(?).

PenelopeQ

No change yet...the subscription still says pending and I think it is going to stay that way until I figure out the problem--so its not really pending but is instead stuck.

This will be a serious issue. I plan to make the service public on Friday. I can manually activate people, but that can't go on forever. 

I don't know why it isn't working...I think I'm using it without modification. Could it be my theme?

Is there a time lag between receiving it at PayPal and the forum processing it?
Could there be a problem with the forum and Paypal communicating?

For those using the subscription feature, how has this worked for you?
Does it take a few minutes, hours...or more from payment to receipt...do users stay in the pending status for awhile?

Please help!

PenelopeQ

Okay, I've found quite a bit about this issue being a known bug in RC3...but not RC2.

It doesn't seem to be solved and I'm not sure what to do--other than manually activate users.

But it might be an issue with PayPal and communications. Some users said their PayPal IPN was disabled. My IPN said enabled, but the two test accounts I tried show up in the PayPal IPN history with a status of retrying which may mean it is not communicating with the forum.

Some users had working subscription features and this issue came on suddenly, so there has been some speculation that it could be an issue from the PayPal side--recent changes.

I don't know if I should mark this as solved or not--since it is not...moderators, please feel free to markl it as solved it that is appropriate. But I will head over to the bug forum and ask around.

PenelopeQ

I've decided to come back to this board to see if anyone has any solution ideas--at least temporary that will help until the bugs are fixed.

I've been posting the running list of issues here
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=388686.0;all

Here is a brief review

I now have two real subscribers. Instead of going into the Pending status in my subscriber list they are not showing up at all and I am not able to manually add them because the system says they are already subscribers. The only place I can see them is through PayPal. Their forum profile does not show the new membergroup connected to their subscription and one has responded back to me that she does not yet have access to the private subscriber boards.

I have since added both through the add a member to the specific membergroup function. But this means I will not be able to tell when their account should expire. I don't know if they will receive an expiration reminder since the system seems to think they are subscribers but does not show them in the list.

What is also odd is why my two test accounts went into the Pending status last week. Sure, they were not real to me, but the system doesn't know that. My IPN is also still enabled, but I only received a notification email from the 2nd subscription.

Any ideas?
What about someone with 2.0 RC3 who is using the feature without a problem, but had problems previously. That person is probably not posting here with questions though...but if any of you know of such a person, could you point me to their forum where I can look around and possibly contact them?

PenelopeQ

QuoteTreasury MOD Is Your Safe Friend!
(search for "treasury"  )
But how does that help with my problem? I'm not interested in a donation feature--and I have one at my main site.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: PenelopeQ on September 26, 2010, 02:39:52 PM
I had a friend order a subscription so I can see how it works in use.

The order went through--though I havea few questions to ask PAyPAl.

But in my admin center when I look up the subcription, it says it is pending. But I received the $ in my PayPal account.

Am supposed to manually do something with each new subscription--manually accept? Is it not automatic? Or is this about something else?
Hi PenelopeQ, is this still an issue?

Have you set up the return address for the subscriptions in the Paypal end?
For subscriptions to be automatically updated for your users, you will need to setup a return URL,
which you can find from your admin CP, where you have all the other Subscription settings as well.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

madfiddler

This is still an issue. I have this with RC4. IPN working fine, not getting any error in the logs, but subscriptions either do nothing, or move the member to pending.

Advertisement: